Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
northernfox321

Last 26 games

1 minute ago, Webbo said:

When did that happen?

Clearly you don't see PL games the way I do.

We finished in the top half last season. We're in the top half after a whole 6 games this season (3 away and 1 of the 2 home games against many people's champion's elect).

Like me I know you watch many other games in the league and from what I've seen there are more than half the league worse than us.

And I'm quite sure we'll prove that uddersfield are one of them on Satdi.

1 minute ago, FIF said:

Clearly you don't see PL games the way I do.

We finished in the top half last season. We're in the top half after a whole 6 games this season (3 away and 1 of the 2 home games against many people's champion's elect).

Like me I know you watch many other games in the league and from what I've seen there are more than half the league worse than us.

And I'm quite sure we'll prove that uddersfield are one of them on Satdi.

We're 11th atm. that's bottom half. We finished above Palace last season and they beat us 5-0 and 3-0, we clearly weren't much better than them.

On 16 September 2018 at 13:07, FIF said:

I'm guessing we won the game 27 matches ago.

26 games is effectively since Xmas which is a pretty good point from which to measure.Maybe you would prefer just 12 games although amazingly he has managed to lose 8 of them or to suit your argument give him a fresh start this season where he has still managed to lose 3 in 5. Not to worry we are a work in progress, going through transition blah blah.

• Like 1

PUEL'S RECORD

34 PL games, 42 points - 1.23 points per game (ppg)

Averaged over a season: 46.74 points

[Over the past 10 years, 47 points would see you finish on average in 10th place.]

Let's break it down into quarters (ish) then.

1st 8 PL games: 2.15 ppg (over season 81.7pts)

2nd 9 PL games: 1 ppg (over season 38pts)

3rd 8 PL games: 1.25 ppg (over season 47.5pts)

4th 9 PL games: 1 ppg (over season 38pts) 

As per the OP, the last 26 matches, from mid December until now, it averages 1.04ppg after the great start, so about 40pts over a season.

(We got 41pts in our first season back which ended in The Great Escape.)

Stats of course can be manipulated in any way you see fit but I don't really see the kind of positive progress from those numbers after a brilliant start.

As I keep saying, I hope Puel can get things going again, as he did in the first eight matches, but it's right to question whether he has the ability to do so.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, treer said:

If Soyunco doesn't make a big difference at the back, when he is brought in, then the seasons hopes are gone, and we will be in  a relegation battle.

He is the last throw of the dice, at least until January

Sometimes one little thing can click, and all of a sudden you hit the jackpot.

No pressure then 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

PUEL'S RECORD

34 PL games, 42 points - 1.23 points per game (ppg)

Averaged over a season: 46.74 points

[Over the past 10 years, 47 points would see you finish on average in 10th place.]

Let's break it down into quarters (ish) then.

1st 8 PL games: 2.15 ppg (over season 81.7pts)

2nd 9 PL games: 1 ppg (over season 38pts)

3rd 8 PL games: 1.25 ppg (over season 47.5pts)

4th 9 PL games: 1 ppg (over season 38pts) 

As per the OP, the last 26 matches, from mid December until now, it averages 1.04ppg after the great start, so about 40pts over a season.

(We got 41pts in our first season back which ended in The Great Escape.)

Stats of course can be manipulated in any way you see fit but I don't really see the kind of positive progress from those numbers after a brilliant start.

As I keep saying, I hope Puel can get things going again, as he did in the first eight matches, but it's right to question whether he has the ability to do so.

Good Post.

The success in the first 8 matches probably more down to Appleton than Puel, as his lack of communication skills meant he adopted an observing policy on arrival.

The worrying lack of points over the rest of his tenure is there for all to see, but it is

i) The total lack of attacking intent

ii) The lack of tactical awareness in defence and midfield and

iii) The embarassment of conceding 4 or 5 goals on numerous occasions

that is turning the fans - much the same as happened at Southampton (although they never conceded 5 to Palace and 4 to Bournemouth).

Previous criticism of Shakespeare and Ranieri for not having a plan for 'turning things around' should also be the case here as Puel simply doesn't have a plan at all - other than repeatedly saying the word 'qualiteee'.

Major concern still not addressed for me is inability to put a performance in against those we will be competing for places with.

Loads of home games against weaker opposition where we were terrible. This season we've put in good performances against Utd and Liverpool and probably half of a game against Wolves (once on top). 

Truth is that mixed results is part and parcel of a being a mid table team now. The gap between 8th and 17th is small and a few extra wins can make you look relatively comfortable. We saw with Stoke and West Brom last season that that gap can soon vanish though and those concerns are there for me. 

• Like 1

On 16/09/2018 at 10:41, Fox92 said:

What mistakes? Point out a mistake last season what we haven't improved upon?

We conceded 16 set piece goals under Shakespeare, we've conceded 5 under Puel. That's a good lesson learnt I'd say.

Pace is a concern of mine and Maguire and Morgan must be the slowest pairing in the division. But Rashford, one of the fastest forwards in the league, didn't trouble us. I've never seen this new lad play but apparently he's got some pace. So now Morgan's out he'll hopefully come in. Won't improve Maguire's pace though.

As for this "no point keeping the ball not doing anything with it". I'm pretty sure I saw Vardy miss two good chances yesterday, Maddison hit the bar and Maguire have one cleared off the line.

Sat was an open game 

we were more open than the opposition for once - and we saw the consequences .... so expect to see less bravado in the games ahead - which won’t make the boo boys happy but could well see us taking a decent points haul ......

• Like 1

I’m a little confused by what is a ‘lack of attacking intent’

i didn’t see our early season policy last year under shakey of just launch it forward for vards to chase as having ‘attacking intent’ ...... it was more often than not embarrassing to watch. 

this manager wants to manage the ball and control the game - just as Southgate is trying to evolve the England team into one who can do that, so is Puel ..... he may not be the right personality but he is doing the right thing overall.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Sat was an open game 

we were more open than the opposition for once - and we saw the consequences .... so expect to see less bravado in the games ahead - which won’t make the boo boys happy but could well see us taking a decent points haul ......

Agree. That was the only concern for me, (if you call it a concern), Bournemouth are always open and attack every side they play but we just did it back to them. They'll score against any side who goes there to win.

The infectious downfall of winning the league breeds the type of fan that expects top 6 results. They crave that winning formula again and ignore the true reasons behind our inconsistent performances.

1. New manager, new tactics, new style. IT TAKES TIME

2. New players come in to settle IT TAKES TIME 'MADDISON'

3. We have a new direction and identity IT TAKES TIME

4. Its the start of a long ass season  BE PATIENT WILL YOU

People have no patience at all, and expect things straight away, have you not learnt anything in life..? Give it half a season before ranting on about how shit we are. ****  sake you complete bell-ends.

Edited by Simoken
  • Haha 1

I wonder what affords Puel the continuation in this role compared to Shakespeare? Both started well and then bombed. Both made similar types of signings, yet we're being peddled with this shit that Puel is masterminding a revolution. This club has decided on a plan to bring in younger players who can be developed and either sold on for a big profit or help us progress, this isn't dependent on Claude Puel just like it seemingly wasn't dependent on Craig Shakespeare.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fox92 said:

Agree. That was the only concern for me, (if you call it a concern), Bournemouth are always open and attack every side they play but we just did it back to them. They'll score against any side who goes there to win.

Perhaps Puel wanted to see if we could play like that .... he took a chance and it didn’t work out .... we could easily have got the first goal and then it’s a different game. Maybe he tried that approach to get rid of the slow start cobwebs we keep suffering .... anyway, he has probably learned a lesson we may be sorry about if it prevents him from being more gung ho in the month ahead ....

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

I wonder what affords Puel the continuation in this role compared to Shakespeare? Both started well and then bombed. Both made similar types of signings, yet we're being peddled with this shit that Puel is masterminding a revolution. This club has decided on a plan to bring in younger players who can be developed and either sold on for a big profit or help us progress, this isn't dependent on Claude Puel just like it seemingly wasn't dependent on Craig Shakespeare.

Shakey got sacked because the players weren’t ‘putting it in’ against the ‘smaller clubs’ - our effort when down to ten men on Saturday shows that this isn’t currently the situation although I still wonder if we were really  ‘at it’ first half hour .......

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Agreed, the best selling point of ‘Puel in’ is his desire to bring in youth either via the transfer window or from our u23s. But this is something another manager could easily do, especially if this is also our boards vision and not just Puel’s...

4 hours ago, Simoken said:

The infectious downfall of winning the league breeds the type of fan that expects top 6 results. They crave that winning formula again and ignore the true reasons behind our inconsistent performances.

1. New manager, new tactics, new style. IT TAKES TIME

2. New players come in to settle IT TAKES TIME 'MADDISON'

3. We have a new direction and identity IT TAKES TIME

4. Its the start of a long ass season  BE PATIENT WILL YOU

People have no patience at all, and expect things straight away, have you not learnt anything in life..? Give it half a season before ranting on about how shit we are. ****  sake you complete bell-ends.

He has been here nearly a year and results wise it is a fact we are going backwards after the new manager bounce.Just a polite suggestion, look closer to home to find a bell end.

13 minutes ago, Ian S said:

He has been here nearly a year and results wise it is a fact we are going backwards after the new manager bounce.Just a polite suggestion, look closer to home to find a bell end.

We just had a fantastic transfer spell, Had 2 youngers called upto England lastweek and renewed some player contracts.. oh and we have 6 points after a few inconsistent games at the start of a long season. what are you expecting from new squad and identity?

Edited by Simoken

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

Shakey got sacked because the players weren’t ‘putting it in’ against the ‘smaller clubs’ - our effort when down to ten men on Saturday shows that this isn’t currently the situation although I still wonder if we were really  ‘at it’ first half hour .......

Is that your opinion or a shared belief from within the club? I've always thought our record against smaller clubs, certainly at home was still our strong point after the title win (under Ranieri and Shakespeare) but away we became suspect and against any of the top 6 we were poor. Under Puel we've seen us struggle at home against pretty much anyone who comes and sits back since February onwards, which is usually the teams in the bottom half.

Shakespeare's record (I've loosely summised what constitutes a small or big club based on where they were in the table that year)

16/17

Smaller clubs - P8, W6, D2, L0

Bigger clubs (including CL games) P8, W2, D1, L5

17/18

Smaller clubs - P4, W1, D3

Bigger clubs - P4, W0, D0, L4

Puel's record

17/18

Smaller clubs - P19, W7, D6, L6

Bigger clubs - P10, W3, D2, L5

18/19

Smaller clubs - P3, W2, D0, L1

Bigger clubs - P2, W0, D0, L2

57 minutes ago, Simoken said:

We just had a fantastic transfer spell, Had 2 youngers called upto England lastweek and renewed some player contracts.. oh and we have 6 points after a few inconsistent games at the start of a long season. what are you expecting from new squad and identity?

It's still far too early to declare that. Evans is barely getting a sniff, Soyuncu hasn't featured, Benkovic has been bombed out on loan, Periera is being slated for his inability to defend and we've broken the record for the most spunked on a 4th choice goalie who's only meaningful first team experience in this country was part of a team who got promoted with a negative goal difference, somehow. Maddison looks a class above but we need to see a bit more football before we can declare it fantastic. Ghezzal is showing signs of promise too but compared to who we lost in Mahrez it's night and day.

5 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Is that your opinion or a shared belief from within the club?  

Depends who pulled the trigger .....

i know what was said to me the evening we played West Brom and he went the next morning as I recall ......

EDIT:  the results shakey was getting early last season was not the motivation for his removal - it was the perception that the players were only getting up for top six games and couldn’t raise themselves against the lower half opposition 

Edited by st albans fox

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

It's still far too early to declare that. Evans is barely getting a sniff, Soyuncu hasn't featured, Benkovic has been bombed out on loan, Periera is being slated for his inability to defend and we've broken the record for the most spunked on a 4th choice goalie who's only meaningful first team experience in this country was part of a team who got promoted with a negative goal difference, somehow. Maddison looks a class above but we need to see a bit more football before we can declare it fantastic. Ghezzal is showing signs of promise too but compared to who we lost in Mahrez it's night and day.

Fair point, but considering the past 2 windows weve had.. its still fantastic. Removing deadwood and selling musa for that  amount (especially musa)  is also a + which i didnt mention.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Depends who pulled the trigger .....

i know what was said to me the evening we played West Brom and he went the next morning as I recall ......

EDIT:  the results shakey was getting early last season was not the motivation for his removal - it was the perception that the players were only getting up for top six games and couldn’t raise themselves against the lower half opposition 

I'd love to know how they have a differing opinion to Puel's record against similar clubs then. I get why they got rid of Shakespeare as the honeymoon period soon wore off and we did look limited at the start of last season, but the same could be said under Puel. We were fantastic in his opening 10 games where we mixed up fast football with being more comfortable in possession (something we've been crying out for) but that has long gone now and somehow we've got worse defensively to boot.