Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Shane

Okazaki

Had heard an MLS club were keen on him in the Summer, but the club refused to sell him.

The MLS, like with other ageing but talented players such as David Villa etc, would've been a great move for him imo at this point of his career.

2 hours ago, Fox92 said:

Thought Okazaki was deemed not good enough on here months ago?

Highly likely. But thats the beauty of FT. The discussions are fluid and change both frequently and from game to game.

He's still our 3rd striker here, and may be needed if Vardy and Nacho pick up knocks, so he should be included in match day squads, when possible. 

I agree that he should have been on the bench Saturday, if fit. He still has something to offer, especially from the bench and we need to inject some energy into the game.

Honestly though, he should still probably be moved on in January and we should sign a big no.9 striker who can offer us something different from the bench. 

2 hours ago, STUHILL said:

He's still our 3rd striker here, and may be needed if Vardy and Nacho pick up knocks, so he should be included in match day squads, when possible. 

You’d think so wouldn’t you?

however apparently Gray up front as the lone striker is a better option. :mad:

He is the  opposite of what Puel wants, similar to Albrighton, 100% effort and hard work but lacking in finesse and composure.

The thing is both have been effective in a very successful side because they pressure the opposition defence and create space for the other players, but that only works as a team strategy and if the style and approach that Puel wants is to control possession then they are not the players for that. Saying that neither are Ndidi and Morgan.

If Puel can rediscover the blend of his early games where we still had that energy but also more control then we will do well.  Is Okazaki the solution? I don't know, but we do seem to play better with him in the side.

1 hour ago, Captain... said:

He is the  opposite of what Puel wants, similar to Albrighton, 100% effort and hard work but lacking in finesse and composure.

The thing is both have been effective in a very successful side because they pressure the opposition defence and create space for the other players, but that only works as a team strategy and if the style and approach that Puel wants is to control possession then they are not the players for that. Saying that neither are Ndidi and Morgan.

If Puel can rediscover the blend of his early games where we still had that energy but also more control then we will do well.  Is Okazaki the solution? I don't know, but we do seem to play better with him in the side.

We always seem to play better when he is in the side, even when he isn’t playing particularly well. His constant movement and energy is nightmare for defenders, plus it creates more space for Vardy to exploit. Puel doesn’t seem to understand this and this slow Sunday morning build up play won’t create hat fulls of chances for Vardy. I might be a bit bias towards Shinji not because his erratic technique or lack of goal threat..but I really appreciated the work he did off the ball, and it’s only an opinion but I maintain that it’s one of the main reasons Vardy got so many goals. Maddison might be a fantastic player, but he just doesn’t offer Vardy the same kind of support Shinji did. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, La-li-lu-le-lo said:

We always seem to play better when he is in the side, even when he isn’t playing particularly well. His constant movement and energy is nightmare for defenders, plus it creates more space for Vardy to exploit. Puel doesn’t seem to understand this and this slow Sunday morning build up play won’t create hat fulls of chances for Vardy. I might be a bit bias towards Shinji not because his erratic technique or lack of goal threat..but I really appreciated the work he did off the ball, and it’s only an opinion but I maintain that it’s one of the main reasons Vardy got so many goals. Maddison might be a fantastic player, but he just doesn’t offer Vardy the same kind of support Shinji did. 

I don't know if Puel understands the value of Shinji or not, but if we are playing a patient build up possession based game you can't have players in the team that give the ball away cheaply. I would say we still have too many of them. If we spend 2 minutes working an opening and pass it to someone in an advanced position and they fall over then all that time and energy and opportunity is wasted. Opposition will soon pick the player to pressure, they will stand off players who are tidy in possession like Mendy, Maguire and Maddison wait for the ball into Okazaki or Morgan and pounce.