Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mark

BHA 1 - 1 Leicester City Post Match Thread

1 minute ago, Max Wall said:

That's what is strange about the dichotomy between Puel out and Puel in. We all want the club to be successful. No one, whichever camp they are in, is entirely satisfied.

For every pro argument, there's a con argument and lots of people actually see them both and form their opinion from that.Some don't.

The discipline is a problem, as is the propensity to only start once we're behind. The recruitment is a topic all on it's own which predates Puel but has also continued under his stewardship. These are all genuine concerns.

Having said that, and at the risk of being called unambitious, I wanted us to stick with Puel before the recent events for all reasons of some stability. These seasons since the title win have been a whirlwind of activity with players and managers coming in and out and I'd question the wisdom of changing management again anyway without all the extra pressure the events of a few weeks ago has put on the club.

+1 for dichotomy and propensity. I’m not afraid to admit I had to google both.  ? 

• Haha 3

Obviously the red card threw us completely - we held our own very well with 10 men against a side that is usually very good once they're in front. The intensity and sheer aggressiveness from Vardy reminded me of the United 5-3 game, still proving that he's not showing any signs of running out of steam. Clearly fired up and our whole team responded. Overall decent result.

One thing I kept thinking all throughout the game yesterday is that I don’t know how José Izquierdo is playing in the Premier League yet Usain Bolt can’t find a good deal.

Aside from letting him slip on one run in the first half, Ricardo made him the most irrelevant player on the pitch. Ricardo just never let Izquierdo run past or use his left foot, and knew he never had to defend when Izquierdo cut inside because Izquierdo’s right foot is so bad. Didn’t one of his shots go out for a throw in? ?

I think Ricardo’s skill set makes him better suited for more advanced roles, and I’ve knocked his defending abilities a few times already this year. From what I saw on TV yesterday, though, Ricardo had a walk in the park even though City were down a man for 60 minutes. 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Stonegold said:

Typical CH game plan get a goal then shut up shop , which in some cases i can understand but against 10 men a crazy tactical backfire of monumental proportions , your team perked up after the break , no doubt realising we never really like to win by more than 1 goal and the introduction of Vardy breathed fresh life into the team , our full backs never really threatened after his introduction preferring to sit in and wait for the inevitable onslaught , chatting after the game we all thought if Vardy had started this game then we would of comfortably lost so in a strange way i'm quite happy for the point in the end , i see you guys were not impressed with the ref but i actually thought he was ok but let down by his assistants at least three times , if a Brighton player did what Maddison did and the ref hadn't of spotted it i'm sure all hell would let loose so he got that spot on , Madison's apology was quite refreshing to see and hopefully other players who try this may just think twice , (but i doubt it ) , a strange muddling type of game i probably won't remember after a few weeks , the result , probably a fair one on the games total reflection , hope everyone enjoyed the journey home :blink: only had 9 miles to go and took me 90 minutes !     

Nice to hear from  Brighton fan.   I agree that  point each is about right. 

With regard to the ref, we have some recent history with Kavannagh and I think that he seemed harsher on our players than Brighton's in terms of cards and missed a pen in the first couple of minutes.  With regard to Maddison though, I don't think anyone here has defended that, it was a deserved second yellow.

Anyway, good luck with the season.

• Like 3

I didn’t see this mentioned anywhere and the commentators never considered it but by any chance was Nacho off side when he won the pen? The tv never gave a side on angle but he was waiting on the line when the ball was played towards him. In real time I was expecting an offside call. 

Wondering if if they also had 2 players on the line? Thankfully we got away with one if not 

Edited by Lambert09

8 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

I didn’t see this mentioned anywhere and the commentators never considered it but by any chance was Nacho off side when he won the pen? The tv never gave a side on angle but he was waiting on the line when the ball was played towards him. In real time I was expecting an offside call. 

Wondering if if they also had 2 players on the line? Thankfully we got away with one if not 

MOTD covered it. He was offside. Lovely stuff. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, davieG said:

It's not good enough but it's hardly Puel's fault it's not as if they're for enciuraged dangerous play or arguing with officials etc. We've certainly had a hard time from refs when you see what other teams get away with in nearly every other game.

You cant be unlucky that many times, I dont buy it. Its ill discipline,  we're not dirty or aggressive but just foolish. 

I'm quite surprised by the lack of outrage at Okazaki starting up front on his own, it's up there with Demarai Gray playing the strikers role. I get Vardy wasnt 100% but every time Iheanacho doesn't get a start when Vardy doesn't, he comes on and gets an assist. Perhaps that's Puel's way of getting him fired up, just wish we had a 3rd option that isn't Gray or Okazaki through the middle.

3 hours ago, Lambert09 said:

3 hours ago, AllGoneTitsSchlupp said:

MOTD covered it. He was offside. Lovely stuff. 

I haven’t seen a ref commenting but I wonder if once it strikes the Brighton defender it becomes a new phase  - Kelechi was stood offside when Evans shot but was not nearer the goal and not attempting to seek any advantage ....

think back to Sunderland at home in 15/16 when Albrighton scored the fourth ..... he was offside when the shot came in but it came off a defender trying to clear and apparently moved to a new phase 

it confuses me too ! 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I'm quite surprised by the lack of outrage at Okazaki starting up front on his own, it's up there with Demarai Gray playing the strikers role. I get Vardy wasnt 100% but every time Iheanacho doesn't get a start when Vardy doesn't, he comes on and gets an assist. Perhaps that's Puel's way of getting him fired up, just wish we had a 3rd option that isn't Gray or Okazaki through the middle.

Playing Okazaki up front on his own could have been a sackable offence if we had lost. It was predictable how they first half would pan out when the team was announced. If it wasn't for Maddsion and Iborra I'd expect Okazaki would be off at half time.

I don't blame Okazaki. He's not up to the job. Totally Puels fault.

The players rallying and turning that game round helps keep Puel in a job.

I want him to succeed. I really do. But his decision making and selection (which leads to style of play in first half) is baffling for me. 

I see so much potential but feel like we aren't quite where we should be

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Lambert09 said:

Didn't a Brighton defender handle the ball before it rebounded to Nacho ?? Perhaps the ref would've given the penalty for that anyway ??

5 hours ago, Babylon said:

It's not everyone who gets accused of it, just those who either fail to accept good arguments for when presented in front of them. Or when they just go looking for things to blame on him, like Vardy not starting yesterday. When it was clearly stated prior to the game he's only trained one day and was a major doubt for the game. Or bleating on about him subbing players when they get a yellow card, another weak argument. 

There are plenty of things out there that are more than reasonable to moan about with him, anyone going looking for things or trumping up rubbish like the above, I just can't take seriously. They are looking for problems because they don't like him, hence some people saying some have an agenda. 

What signs of improvement are there?

16-17: 13 games 13 points
17-18: 13 games 14 points

18/19: 13 games 18 points and top half!

Apparently, though pointing out better points totals or better positions is "crap". It wasn't long ago people were predicting relegation without Mahrez, or didn't know how we'd score a goal. Yet we sit comfortably mid table. 

Shall we take a look at your thoughts in the summer?...

"If we are near the bottom after 10 games Puel will be gone but the squad is still not good enough for top 10 no matter who the manager is! Severe lack of ambition from the owners"

"You’re deluded and heading for disappointment,Let’s revisit this conversation 10 games in when we are right near the bottom!"

"Id love to know what the owners expectations are for this season, cause with this manager and this transfer window so far, we ll be closer to the bottom 3 than top 10."

There we have it, you didn't think the squad was good enough to finish top 10. We are, so by your own standards we're currently over performing. Well done Puel hey! 

And you question why people think others have an agenda. 

The key word there is finish and I still don’t think we will finish top 10, ok we are ahead of where I predicted but there’s a lot of guff in this league I don’t even think Peter Taylor could get us relegated. Other than bring Chilwell through,the footballing side of things as not improved since he’s been here,some players have regressed,Vardy and Ndidi spring to mind! I’m happy you have enough free time to go fishing through archives also you should get out more! 

1 hour ago, elvisfmcfly said:

The key word there is finish and I still don’t think we will finish top 10, ok we are ahead of where I predicted but there’s a lot of guff in this league I don’t even think Peter Taylor could get us relegated. Other than bring Chilwell through,the footballing side of things as not improved since he’s been here,some players have regressed,Vardy and Ndidi spring to mind! I’m happy you have enough free time to go fishing through archives also you should get out more! 

Keep digging, pal.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The first half yesterday at times was utterly dismal.  Other than a half chance at the end of the half by Okazaki we looked a right mess and Maddison trying to be smart didn't help.

Missed the second half so it's a bit of a surprise that people were so impressed with us for a finish. A bit like that away game versus Stoke towards the end of 2016. Backs against the wall but got a result. I expected a loss with Maguire, Vardy and Wilf not starting. Its not often a draw to a bottom half team gets look upon favourably here. What's rare is wonderful.

Again its up front that's our achilles heel. The rest of the team is in decent shape but we need something up front to build on. We could squander a promising squad if we don't.

6 points out of 12 from the last 4 games isn't bad but it might have been better. A win against Watford next weekend would be a lot more satisfying before we get re-acquainted with you know who!

Edited by Blue ROI

10 minutes ago, Blue ROI said:

The first half yesterday at times was utterly dismal.  Other than a half chance at the end of the half by Okazaki we looked a right mess and Maddison trying to be smart didn't help.

Missed the second half so it's a bit of a surprise that people were so impressed with us for a finish. A bit like that away game versus Stoke towards the end of 2016. Backs against the wall but got a result. I expected a loss with Maguire, Vardy and Wilf not starting. Its not often a draw to a bottom half team gets look upon favourably here. What's rare is wonderful.

Again its up front that's our achilles heel. The rest of the team is in decent shape but we need something up front to build on. We could squander a promising squad if we don't.

6 points out of 12 from the last 4 games isn't bad but it might have been better. A win against Palace next weekend would be a lot more satisfying before we get re-acquainted with you know who!

Cant see us beating Palace next weekend can’t see us playing them to be honest!

Edited by elvisfmcfly
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Stonegold said:

Typical CH game plan get a goal then shut up shop , which in some cases i can understand but against 10 men a crazy tactical backfire of monumental proportions , your team perked up after the break , no doubt realising we never really like to win by more than 1 goal and the introduction of Vardy breathed fresh life into the team , our full backs never really threatened after his introduction preferring to sit in and wait for the inevitable onslaught , chatting after the game we all thought if Vardy had started this game then we would of comfortably lost so in a strange way i'm quite happy for the point in the end , i see you guys were not impressed with the ref but i actually thought he was ok but let down by his assistants at least three times , if a Brighton player did what Maddison did and the ref hadn't of spotted it i'm sure all hell would let loose so he got that spot on , Madison's apology was quite refreshing to see and hopefully other players who try this may just think twice , (but i doubt it ) , a strange muddling type of game i probably won't remember after a few weeks , the result , probably a fair one on the games total reflection , hope everyone enjoyed the journey home :blink: only had 9 miles to go and took me 90 minutes !     

We got stuck in one of the uni car parks for over an hour!

Guest Col city fan
16 hours ago, Stonegold said:

Hmmmm.. but we decided to drop/rest our best striker..

Our penalty was offside and their off side which led to a 1on1 and a chance to put the game to bed was actually on side... And people are moaning about the ref?

Sounds like we got extremely lucky despite our stupid first half tactics and formation which demonstrated exactly what it deserved. 

Second half we we looked good driving forward on the break and creating space combined with speed/pace. We just look clueless and daft in ‘slow based’ possession with so little creativity, especially in the first half.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Babylon said:

It's not everyone who gets accused of it, just those who either fail to accept good arguments for when presented in front of them. Or when they just go looking for things to blame on him, like Vardy not starting yesterday. When it was clearly stated prior to the game he's only trained one day and was a major doubt for the game. Or bleating on about him subbing players when they get a yellow card, another weak argument. 

There are plenty of things out there that are more than reasonable to moan about with him, anyone going looking for things or trumping up rubbish like the above, I just can't take seriously. They are looking for problems because they don't like him, hence some people saying some have an agenda. 

What signs of improvement are there?

16-17: 13 games 13 points
17-18: 13 games 14 points

18/19: 13 games 18 points and top half!

Apparently, though pointing out better points totals or better positions is "crap". It wasn't long ago people were predicting relegation without Mahrez, or didn't know how we'd score a goal. Yet we sit comfortably mid table. 

Shall we take a look at your thoughts in the summer?...

"If we are near the bottom after 10 games Puel will be gone but the squad is still not good enough for top 10 no matter who the manager is! Severe lack of ambition from the owners"

"You’re deluded and heading for disappointment,Let’s revisit this conversation 10 games in when we are right near the bottom!"

"Id love to know what the owners expectations are for this season, cause with this manager and this transfer window so far, we ll be closer to the bottom 3 than top 10."

There we have it, you didn't think the squad was good enough to finish top 10. We are, so by your own standards we're currently over performing. Well done Puel hey! 

And you question why people think others have an agenda. 

lol Top class.

11 minutes ago, Babylon said:

What part of us not wanting to risk him unless we had to, do people not understand? He was a major doubt and trained one day last week, so he wasn't dropped or rested. He was left out as a precaution, in the hope we'd have enough to win without him. But, he was there if we needed him. The manager, along with the physios etc would weigh it all up, severity of the injury, preparation, likelihood of aggravating it, the risk / rewards involved based on all the evidence available. 

Absolutely. I don't think there's a discussion to be had about dropping Vardy. Yes he did great and didn't seem to cause any damage, but we are fortunate.

For me the discussion should all be around Puel's decisions not to start Nacho up front. That's the bit which doesn't make sense to me at all.