Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
H.a.r.r.y

Support + atmosphere

I think the atmosphere suffers on the singing as our recent chants, some decent are loaded with bad language.... the stadium joins in the the Vichai song and the next ones about F*off Maguire, followed by Tielemans being f*ing dynamite and its absolutely no surprise they die off as only a handful join in. Those chants alienate half the stadium  

The classics over the years have all been short, catchy and clean. 

• Like 1

I'm all for giving safe standing a try, nothing to loose. 

I've thought about the atmosphere alot of the years, but recently I've come to the conclusion that the main factor in the lack of vocal support is that most of our fans are just rubbish.

Liverpool and many others don't seem to have a problem generating atmosphere so I'd guess it's got little to do with standing, and everything to do with individuals not being bothered enough.

Edited by Vestan Pance
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, berniethebolt said:

I think the atmosphere suffers on the singing as our recent chants, some decent are loaded with bad language.... the stadium joins in the the Vichai song and the next ones about F*off Maguire, followed by Tielemans being f*ing dynamite and its absolutely no surprise they die off as only a handful join in. Those chants alienate half the stadium  

Hmm...

Football is becoming so sanitised that I fully expect the use of 'bad' language to become an ejectable offence in the not too distant future. Suppose it upsets the majority who just want to show each other pictures of their grandchildren or moan about politicians or whatever...

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, berniethebolt said:

One of the weakest arguments going. It's as if people forget one of the loudest things every game for a good 10 years home and away has been 'twvt you're sh!t aaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh'. People don't seem to have a problem joining in with that

Don't like 1 word replace it and sing it with your kids differently, but let them join in with the overall song

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lcfcsnow said:

I've mentioned this before, and it's probably a team tactic as its gone on all season now but for corners James Maddison walks so slow to take them, it's can be over a minute to walk over and then take the actual corner. This doesn't exactly help encourage the crowd, corners can encourage noise but by the time it's took its quiet due to the wait.

Does annoy me. I don't think it effects crowd noise but he slows everything down.

First half Delyfaou did it (clearly wasting time too) and people starting jeering, as expected, but our own player does it.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

I know Man Utd have won much more than any club but their song book is great, catchy and well participated - becuase the songs are actually good. 

Can you imagine 5,000 people getting involved in the Ricardo song? No, becuase its f***ing dross. 

Newcastle Loud, Leeds Loud - both with decent songs. The will have their fair share of soup eaters and over 65's too. 

Those sides aren't loud at home though, especially Man Utd.

I remember thinking Huddersfield sounded good when they first come up and I believe that's the last time I was genuinelly impressed with a home oppositon atmosphere.

People take the piss out of Anfield but it's literally every home ground. I've been to St James' Park 4 or 5 times and never once has it been loud. Football has changed so much that nowadays there seems to be an expectation of turning up and being entertainted.

The atmosphere is poor, very poor, but if something goes wrong / referee wrong call / missed shot or whatever then people start jeering yet the other way around, positiity, they don't make noise. People were happy to chant against Puel but not in support of the players. Weird.

I've always enjoyed away games better at least there the odd person near you tries to join in.

Edited by Fox92
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Yeah I think it did. That was an absolute pearler of a chant, totally unique to us. When you really go for something new and make it work, that's what you look back and remember. No one will remember a Sloop John B tune 5 years down the line. 

No, but you have to have a bit of a mix in there surely?

The Championship title winning team had a song for just about every player. Fair enough most were ones that you may consider 'boring' but at least the songbook was packed and could be called upon. Right now I just feel like we've got about 10 songs that the majority of the ground knows. Wouldn't hurt to give songs to players that don't really have one.

Ricardo Pereira is the best player at the club and he doesn't have a song. I don't know what the tune is but what about the "Heskey for England (5x clap)" chant but with just Ricardo Pereira? Nothing exciting, we won't remember it in 20 years but at least he'll have a song that the majority of the gound would join in with.

I'm all for trying new chants out but we really ought to fill out the songbook with basic songs that we can rely on.

4 minutes ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

What we need is fans that are paid or 'coerced' into singing,maybe for their lives or safety of their family, a bit like they probably do in North Korea.

This is probably the only way to improve the atmosphere and a method that I wholly approve of. 

Buy me 10 pints of guiness and stick a megaphone in my hand and i'll sing anything you want, including aga do!

56 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

So you don't like songs which are too complex, but rate Man United's support? They come up with the wordiest chants in the league. lol

Sometimes it's about delivery, perhaps it's just a leicester thing. We do after all have lazy mouths and accents :D

22 minutes ago, Stoopid said:

Hmm...

Football is becoming so sanitised that I fully expect the use of 'bad' language to become an ejectable offence in the not too distant future. Suppose it upsets the majority who just want to show each other pictures of their grandchildren or moan about politicians or whatever...

Only commenting on what I see and hear.

I'm migrated over the years from the old filbert street cop to a now with a lad in the family stand, so what I see it different and cant speak for the remaining 3 sides of the ground.

I think the chants are decent, and the young ones kids clearly give it a go but as soon as the f* bombs start dropping the stand turns into the library and they die on their backside 

9 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

No, but you have to have a bit of a mix in there surely?

The Championship title winning team had a song for just about every player. Fair enough most were ones that you may consider 'boring' but at least the songbook was packed and could be called upon. Right now I just feel like we've got about 10 songs that the majority of the ground knows. Wouldn't hurt to give songs to players that don't really have one.

Ricardo Pereira is the best player at the club and he doesn't have a song. I don't know what the tune is but what about the "Heskey for England (5x clap)" chant but with just Ricardo Pereira? Nothing exciting, we won't remember it in 20 years but at least he'll have a song that the majority of the gound would join in with.

I'm all for trying new chants out but we really ought to fill out the songbook with basic songs that we can rely on.

I'm not suggesting at all that we need 20 unique songs that the whole ground knows. Just saying that when something decent comes along then grab it and put the effort in, and then we get a good song to sing and look back on. That's exactly what happened with the Ulloa song which would probably be on the list on most people's favourites over the last decade. 

I'd happily join in with something that was generic or taken from elsewhere if it was decent. 

2 hours ago, squarez said:

This is simply the correct answer.

Anyone that's been to a concert in a large arena knows that the standing areas exist so those that want to sing, shout, jump and have the most viceral experience can self select to all be together and experience the atmosphere they're looking for while allowing those that for one reason or another would prefer to sit and generally have a bit more of a comfortable experience can choose the seated area. Those sitting can still sing along and enjoy themselves if they want but the current system in football where everyone must be seated just frustrates both groups.

Those who want to sit in relative comfort get annoyed by the "wannabe ultras" standing and singing crude songs and the ones who want to create atmosphere get annoyed by old boys sitting in silence for most of the game.

Safe standing won't immediately improve atmoshere by itself but it allows those who want to sing and shout a place to do it.

If and when the ground expansion happens, what about creating a whole block (L1 for example) that is Specifically for 16-26yr olds ?

At a reduced cost season tickets as well ..
maybe £199 ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

The Vichai song is a great sentiment, but it sounds awfully twee to me. 

Plus it makes no sense musically, but I digress... 

Musically makes no sense? It's "Sloop John B" by the beach boys which is an adaptation of a Bahamas folk song. 

• Like 1

Atmosphere is fostered by the concentration of those inclined to sing in a compact area.

The predominance of STHs means that the current seating arrangement is relatively fixed, so that the fans themselves are limited in their ability to organise this kind of set-up.

Therefore, to see the kind of boost in atmosphere that we want, the club must be prepared to reorganise the stadium with the above objective in mind. This will mean upsetting some STHs in the short term - perhaps compensating them with a reduced ST price for one season might alleviate this to some extent.

I haven't said anything especially new here - a lot of us understand our fanbase and the situation on matchdays well enough - it's just disappointing that the club are uninterested in taking meaningful action on such an important issue.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Harry - LCFC said:

Atmosphere is fostered by the concentration of those inclined to sing in a compact area.

The predominance of STHs means that the current seating arrangement is relatively fixed, so that the fans themselves are limited in their ability to organise this kind of set-up.

Therefore, to see the kind of boost in atmosphere that we want, the club must be prepared to reorganise the stadium with the above objective in mind. This will mean upsetting some STHs in the short term - perhaps compensating them with a reduced ST price for one season might alleviate this to some extent.

I haven't said anything especially new here - a lot of us understand our fanbase and the situation on matchdays well enough - it's just disappointing that the club are uninterested in taking meaningful action on such an important issue.

Surely the club would be down for home cup fixtures to try something new here? If we demonstrated enough interest from fans to designate a block for it

Edited by lebleu

14 minutes ago, Harry - LCFC said:

Spot on, unreserved safe standing area is the only way the atmosphere will change. As an old ****er I have moved from the family stand to SK1 this season as the lad wants some atmosphere. It's OK but not much better than the family stand as we were in p1 next to the away fans so enjoyed some needle and singing. I can't believe how times have changed from when I was started going in the early 80s in the pens. Feel sorry for the lads now, they'll never experience the kop rushes, hot legs, and chants of fanny fart when a girl was in the pens. lol.

I've always felt like our fanbase was a bit odd going back to when I first started going down. We've always needed something to get us going, a bit of adversity, a thundercunt of a tackle, a ref being a knob. If we're controlling play and generally being quietly effective, everyone just sits back and thinks "well this is nice and cosy", myself included. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Those sides aren't loud at home though, especially Man Utd.

I remember thinking Huddersfield sounded good when they first come up and I believe that's the last time I was genuinelly impressed with a home oppositon atmosphere.

People take the piss out of Anfield but it's literally every home ground. I've been to St James' Park 4 or 5 times and never once has it been loud. Football has changed so much that nowadays there seems to be an expectation of turning up and being entertainted.

The atmosphere is poor, very poor, but if something goes wrong / referee wrong call / missed shot or whatever then people start jeering yet the other way around, positiity, they don't make noise. People were happy to chant against Puel but not in support of the players. Weird.

I've always enjoyed away games better at least there the odd person near you tries to join in.

:appl: this is a football problem in general, not just an LCFC problem. The only home atmosphere I found anywhere near impressive on the road last season was Molineux in the 4-3 game. I don’t think it’s been particularly bad this year at our place, although admittedly last night was poor. Traffic was terrible getting into the city, cold weather, and Watford setting up like a turd that had blocked the loo certainly didn’t help, but we can collectively do much better 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tommy G said:

I know Man Utd have won much more than any club but their song book is great, catchy and well participated - becuase the songs are actually good. 

Can you imagine 5,000 people getting involved in the Ricardo song? No, becuase its f***ing dross. 

Newcastle Loud, Leeds Loud - both with decent songs. The will have their fair share of soup eaters and over 65's too. 

I think the Dusty Springfield especially sounds like something you'd hear coming from a Man United away end. Also if you were to look at the demographic of a Newcastle, Leeds or Man United away end you'll find that they consist predominantly of men aged 18-50. 

Walking away from the ground last night I was struck by the crowd on the streets around me. 

Quiet, self-contained, many occupied with phones etc. Median age a good 10 - 20 years older than it was pre-Premier League era. If anything, it made me think of a Tigers' crowd.

Nothing necessarily wrong with that, and it was a cold night so I wasn't expecting Mardi Gras in Rio, but football's modern top-flight structure has pretty much done for its universal accessibility and identification.

The PL made a trade, and we're seeing the consequences. Shame it's coinciding with such a great period for the team.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Babylon said:

I've always felt like our fanbase was a bit odd going back to when I first started going down. We've always needed something to get us going, a bit of adversity, a thundercunt of a tackle, a ref being a knob. If we're controlling play and generally being quietly effective, everyone just sits there nervously thinking "OK, what's about to go wrong? ", myself included. 

FTFY

• Haha 1