Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lifted*fox

Fulham 1 - 1 Leicester Post Match Thread

19 minutes ago, Foxhateram said:

Off the ball he doesn't do enough is what I said. He didn't look like creating anything today against a compact Fulham defence (we don't score many, or create enough, despite the facts you outline above, therefore I feel we need to look at other options).

Okazaki put them under pressure and gave Madison the freedom to get into a more advanced position (where he excels). I'd go for Madisson up top with Okazaki behind when Vardes is out.  

He’s not in the team to run around like a headless chicken to win the ball back. His role is to get on the ball & be our creative spark/game changer which he’s doing. The fact we play 2 defensive midfielders in Mendy & Wilf behind him who do all the leg work etc pretty much explains that 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Blue Ed said:

Yep this. I think they had an off day today and really exposed the weakness of the pair. That said when they are good it does work but it asks alot of Mendy and he's going to have off games. I think they are similar players playing similar roles I would like to see a proper playmaker next to Mendy or Ndidi who can retain possesion drive and pass. A player like Gary Parker back in the day

Again, I think this really comes down to the fullbacks. Without both Ben and Pereira out there making bombing runs and dictating play with their seemingly perpetual engines, the lack of creativity between Mendy and (especially) N’didi is really exposed.

We can be a good side with those two as a pairing as long as we have our two marauding fullbacks. But even so if we want to take the next step, one of them has to be swapped out for a box to box mid with real creativity.

1 hour ago, Swan Lesta said:

I’m just so grateful for what we have. After watching that performance and still getting a point it feels kinda magical. I mean if we had just not been so unlucky in three matches this season we’d be level with Arsenal right now. I look at what we have and feel warm and fuzzy inside. I’m actually welling up writing this as I’m just so overjoyed with the football in my life. People don’t realise how lucky they are to witness mid table mediocrity, stability and grinding out PL safety. 

I’m 4231 till I die.

Puel in.

Two things mate.

1- As someone who remembers 'Pleat out',  'Shipman out' and bottom half finishes in front of less than 10k in the old Div 2. I consider myself very lucky indeed to see our club mid table in the toughest league on the planet.

Even more so when taking into account our absolute & wonderfully bonkers last 10 seasons

Yes of course things could be better, find me a fan of a club who says everything's perfect and I'll book him an uber to see the doctor

2- Honestly, if you were placed in charge tomorrow, what plans would you put in place?

I'm not seeking to lambast your answer, but I'd bloody love some constructive debate.

You never know I might even find myself agreeing with you

32 minutes ago, Chester Dontlie said:

A draw gives you only 1 point more than a loss, that's not a lot.

A simple yet astute point, that.

We will probably be underdogs in 9 of the next 11 Prem fixtures. That is going to make us look back at this unbeaten run and rue all the points we left on the table against inferior teams. I suspect will likely find ourselves somewhere around 13-14th in the table when that run is finished, and then a nice run of fixtures where hopefully we'll see a healthier, more aggressive side stacking wins. We'll make up some ground, but the teams in position for a spot in Europe may well be too far ahead to catch at that point. Hope I'm wrong.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, vanity said:

A simple yet astute point, that.

We will probably be underdogs in 9 of the next 11 Prem fixtures. That is going to make us look back at this unbeaten run and rue all the points we left on the table against inferior teams. I suspect will likely find ourselves somewhere around 13-14th in the table when that run is finished, and then a nice run of fixtures where hopefully we'll see a healthier, more aggressive side stacking wins. We'll make up some ground, but the teams in position for a spot in Europe may well be too far ahead to catch at that point. Hope I'm wrong.

We aren't going to europe this year via league position we simply aren't consistent enough so I wouldn't worry too much and tbh no one expects us to do so.

Edited by Fightforever

Puel cost us two points at Brighton and two points tonite with his stubborn attitude to playing totally defensive with no proven strikers. Okazaki and Nacho are not front line goal scorers, they play off the main man.

its only when we are losing that he changes things to a more recognisable 442 and suddenly we score and look threatening! 

Get rid in my opinion. His style of play will not get us sustained success, more likely turn the fans away. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BoyJones said:

Puel cost us two points at Brighton and two points tonite with his stubborn attitude to playing totally defensive with no proven strikers. Okazaki and Nacho are not front line goal scorers, they play off the main man.

its only when we are losing that he changes things to a more recognisable 442 and suddenly we score and look threatening! 

Get rid in my opinion. His style of play will not get us sustained success, more likely turn the fans away. 

So which proven striker should we have played then?

• Haha 1

Just now, martyn said:

So which proven striker should we have played then?

should probably have bought one in the summer instead of signing 33 centre backs and still playing the two ones we had in the first place whenever they’re fit 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BoyJones said:

Without Vardy we haven't got any proven strikers so he's limited. Like for all those who criticise him for picking Wes over Soyuncu, perhaps you can see the managers reasoning now. He sees them every day in training, we don't, we just think we know best as armchair once a week pundits, and we all pick differently! He knows whose crap and there's a few now and it won't improve until we've got rid, if we can, and brought in better. Even then, everyone on here would pick somebody different. His hands are tied and I'd bet we don't know the half of it.

• Like 3

Thought that we were awful tonight and that our goal somewhat glosses over what was honestly a dreadful performance.

Nacho just doesn't do enough when we aren't on the ball. I don't care if he has the potential to be clinical, when he plays like he did today then it feels like we are almost playing with ten. If it isn't into feet where he can immediately score then he just isn't interested. This could be a tactical issue, Shinji and Gray definitely had a positive impact.

Our table position isn't so bad but I can't help but feel like there were so many missed opportunities. Injuries and suspensions haven't helped but it's fair to say that we dour tonight and lucky to come away with a draw.

• Like 3

Puel took the chance that he could rest some of the key players and rely on the backups. Hopefully he's shown that the backup players aren't quite there yet and the club back him in the transfer market with some more creativity in attack an more than promising youngsters backed up by aging superstars. We're a few class players in their prime short of really pushing to break into the top 6 right now.

2 hours ago, the fox said:

On paper, we have a much better squad than last season but something is missing. A player who can pick a team apart with pace and creativity and also score goals. A player like maddison but with more flair and the element of surprise about him. 

...hmm I wonder who that could be? 

1 hour ago, BoyJones said:

So what “proven strikers” would you play up front, and where are you going to go and find them? 

Denser than a black hole. 

1 hour ago, Fightforever said:

We aren't going to europe this year via league position we simply aren't consistent enough so I wouldn't worry too much and tbh no one expects us to do so.

Most likely you're right. But there is room for optimism.

I mean, we are 6th in goals allowed, 8th in goals scored. We have such a young squad that there is the potential for real improvement that might make us more consistent. Plus we may have some new players in January who can help make a difference. And we are a goal today away from being alone in 6th, which is a position we could quite possibly have defended if we had picked up points against the lesser lights, teams like West Ham and Brighton and Fulham.

Our issue is we cannot score goals -- frankly, I think we miss Riyad dearly. We need a goal-scorer in January. Have to get one. If we get one, and/or a DM who can pass well, we don't profile as being too far from competing for Europe. At least it gives us something more to root for than just staying up. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Foxxed said:

Soyuncu looked okay but his inexperience showed for their goal.

Ndidi seemed okay from what I saw of the first half.

I guess Gray and Richardo were saved for the Spurs match. And I hope Evans returns for that.

Iheanacho needs some help to get back into form. It's not like we're brimming with options up front.

This! Spot on on all points..:appl:

We really are negative in the middle,  but I guess that’s all part of the formation. Point away from home one point off of sixth,could certainly be a lot worse I guess.

Although quite why we are a team that attacks the flanks without a decent target man in the squad I don’t know.

Fit Vardy and we'd have won the game, and that's despite being awful ourselves. The second half up there with the worst all season which makes the fact we won it all the more baffling.

I'd not be in the slightest bit disappointed if we sold Iheanacho. It won't happen because we lack numbers in that area already but Man City really must be pissing themselves at us.