Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stevosevic

"No intensity, Spurs couldn't have wished for an easier game"

3 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Well he's right isn't he? Puel was fuming on the touchline all match long but he couldn't get us going. Definitely something for us to work on.

One of the reasons for not having intensity is that players up front didn't high press enough. It's why there is a strong argument to start players like Albrighton and Shinji. They might lack technical quality, but will run about and chase things down. In this game we tried Nacho, Gray and Shinji up front and I felt that Shinji had the most impact of the three. In an ideal world we'd have players that had both the work rate and the ability to high press, which is why Vardy is so awesome for us. We need more players like that. Gray is the next most likely to get to that level as I feel that his work rate this season is quite good, but his technical quality also needs more time to develop.

Easy to see the negatives (of which there are many), but changing a team's style of play takes a long time and many transfer windows. Maybe we will never pull it off, but I do personally feel like we are getting better overall even if it's very slow progress.

I think everyone underestimates how hard a job it is to achieve a passing style of football, barring breaking out the cheque book ala Man City.

Made a lot harder by imposing a passing game on a group of players who can’t pass the (insert swear word here) ball.

2 minutes ago, Stevosevic said:

We also struggle to score against West Ham, Brighton, Fulham and Burnley

Il give the players/club some slack because of the circumstances over the last few weeks but the squad as a whole needs more investment as well as shipping out the numerous terrible recruitment decisions we’ve made over the last few years, when you look at the table and the current squad we are exactly where I think we should be. I’m pretty indifferent to the PuelOut/PuelIn debate personally if there’s someone better out there we can get them fine but I’m yet to see one credible suggestion for a replacement baring in mind we are one bad manager hire to ending up like Southampton 

21 minutes ago, peterborofox said:

No creativity at all. Never seen a team just put high crosses into the box when we know we don't have any chance of winning it.

Said so many times that keepers have nothing to do against us

We had more shots on target than they did. They only had one legitimate one and it was a cracker. Gray and Maddison tried similar but didn't pull it off. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Oh for sure, you can definitely make the argument that this style of play is totally unsuitable for this set of players.

But the thing is that if the directive of the club is to transition to a more technical style of football (as called out as one of the aims of the season in Vichai's notes in the first matchday magazine of the season), then it's one of those "suck it up and get on with it" type of things.

The club and manager can't get a free pass forever but personally I think it's quite a good time to be trying it. Not bad enough to go down, not good enough to really seriously challenge for anything and with a number of older players that over time have to be phased out... then why not try and evolve our football style to try and reach the next level? There's a reason why Spurs have remained strong after losing the title race to us whereas we have fallen back significantly.

We definitely have a clear identity and style of play these days that is more technically orientated that the year of the counter attack. However, as of right now we just aren't very good at it and it's producing middling results.

Totally understand fans frustrations but it takes a long time to master something. If you start learning the Guitar today, you won't be playing lead guitar for [Insert Rock Band here] the following day.

If I could rep this multiple times I would. :appl:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, StriderHiryu said:

Oh for sure, you can definitely make the argument that this style of play is totally unsuitable for this set of players.

But the thing is that if the directive of the club is to transition to a more technical style of football (as called out as one of the aims of the season in Vichai's notes in the first matchday magazine of the season), then it's one of those "suck it up and get on with it" type of things.

The club and manager can't get a free pass forever but personally I think it's quite a good time to be trying it. Not bad enough to go down, not good enough to really seriously challenge for anything and with a number of older players that over time have to be phased out... then why not try and evolve our football style to try and reach the next level? There's a reason why Spurs have remained strong after losing the title race to us whereas we have fallen back significantly.

We definitely have a clear identity and style of play these days that is more technically orientated that the year of the counter attack. However, as of right now we just aren't very good at it and it's producing middling results.

Totally understand fans frustrations but it takes a long time to master something. If you start learning the Guitar today, you won't be playing lead guitar for( Chas and Dave)  the following day.

3 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

We had more shots on target than they did. They only had one legitimate one and it was a cracker. Gray and Maddison tried similar but didn't pull it off. 

We were behind on shots on goal and on target until the last 15mins when they eased off. The game was over. 

The stars aren't a true reflection of the game. It was so easy for Spurs.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Dave Fishwick said:

we were awful today. One of the best creative midfielders in the league in Maddison yet no movement in the final third. Just static 

We need to set up in ways to get the best out of him

it's just all so...meh...at the moment

We over rate and expect far too much from that lad in equal measure. 

In in a few years he’ll be a very good player, for now he’s learning and a few flashes of brilliance doesn’t show he’s capable of grabbing a game like that by the scruff of the neck nor does it mean he’s one of the best creative players in the division. He’s above average granted but there are plenty better than him at the moment. But he’s 22 and this is his first season at this level.

Edited by Manwell Pablo
  • Like 1