Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stevosevic

"No intensity, Spurs couldn't have wished for an easier game"

Up until they scored there was nothing between the two teams, we seemed to lose heart after that and that was made worse from what I’m told was an offside goal, having said that we never really looked like scoring.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Oh for sure, you can definitely make the argument that this style of play is totally unsuitable for this set of players.

But the thing is that if the directive of the club is to transition to a more technical style of football (as called out as one of the aims of the season in Vichai's notes in the first matchday magazine of the season), then it's one of those "suck it up and get on with it" type of things.

The club and manager can't get a free pass forever but personally I think it's quite a good time to be trying it. Not bad enough to go down, not good enough to really seriously challenge for anything and with a number of older players that over time have to be phased out... then why not try and evolve our football style to try and reach the next level? There's a reason why Spurs have remained strong after losing the title race to us whereas we have fallen back significantly.

We definitely have a clear identity and style of play these days that is more technically orientated that the year of the counter attack. However, as of right now we just aren't very good at it and it's producing middling results.

Totally understand fans frustrations but it takes a long time to master something. If you start learning the Guitar today, you won't be playing lead guitar for [Insert Rock Band here] the following day.

Another good post Strider. You bring much needed balance to proceedings at times :thumbup:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Oh for sure, you can definitely make the argument that this style of play is totally unsuitable for this set of players.

But the thing is that if the directive of the club is to transition to a more technical style of football (as called out as one of the aims of the season in Vichai's notes in the first matchday magazine of the season), then it's one of those "suck it up and get on with it" type of things.

The club and manager can't get a free pass forever but personally I think it's quite a good time to be trying it. Not bad enough to go down, not good enough to really seriously challenge for anything and with a number of older players that over time have to be phased out... then why not try and evolve our football style to try and reach the next level? There's a reason why Spurs have remained strong after losing the title race to us whereas we have fallen back significantly.

We definitely have a clear identity and style of play these days that is more technically orientated that the year of the counter attack. However, as of right now we just aren't very good at it and it's producing middling results.

Totally understand fans frustrations but it takes a long time to master something. If you start learning the Guitar today, you won't be playing lead guitar for [Insert Rock Band here] the following day.

Spurs didnt sell their best players and replace them with almost 100m of garbage like we have

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, VIKTOR-LE5 said:

Claude is the worse type of football manager you could have he's not negative, but, he's not positive he's just there, in the middle, CONTENT and Content don't win you nothing.

Pue....I_/ o__ yo_ d__ide

1 hour ago, davieG said:

Up until they scored there was nothing between the two teams, we seemed to lose heart after that and that was made worse from what I’m told was an offside goal, having said that we never really looked like scoring.

I would say up to half an hour we were the better side, same as Arsenal, but in both games the goal at the end of the first half was coming. We were sloppy and inviting pressure. We play with attacking full backs yet consistently play ourselves into trouble when they are in advanced positions. I get what @StriderHiryu is saying but persisting with this style with these players is not going to be successful. Ndidi, Morgan, Evans, Mendy and Schmeichel are all way to careless in possession and play us into trouble. Too often our full backs are forwards and the ball goes backwards and the opposition know that they can force the mistake.

So... if we are incapable of playing or buying players to play the passing game, what is your plan? what do we do?

Surely we all know that there isnt a long term future in the counter game...its works for a season here and there, but isnt going to take us into the top 6.

Whats the answer? 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

So... if we are incapable of playing or buying players to play the passing game, what is your plan? what do we do?

Surely we all know that there isnt a long term future in the counter game...its works for a season here and there, but isnt going to take us into the top 6.

Whats the answer? 

You know, there are lots of ways to play mate...

This in a nutshell is why Puel has a lot of doubters. We're a lifeless, dour side. I genuinely don't see us taking a single point off the top six home or away all season. Possibly Manchester United at home if they have a shocker but other than that I'd be surprised.

We are not a good team. Being 9th is because of two things - a fortunate fixture list so far where we've dodged inevitable defeats to Chelsea and Manchester City, and plenty of other crap in the league as well. I'm judging the table after 19 games and I'll be amazed if we're in the top half.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Dave Fishwick said:

we were awful today. One of the best creative midfielders in the league in Maddison yet no movement in the final third. Just static 

We need to set up in ways to get the best out of him

it's just all so...meh...at the moment

Since when did Maddison become one of the best creative midfielders in the league? He’s literally played 16 games in the league ?

8 hours ago, ronnup said:

Sadly shows how far we’ve fallen. Rested their best players and walked it. We’re very mediocre. 

Seen a lot of these “rested their players” comments. They benched their two best players yes, but they still fielded a side filled with world class players that would all stroll into our side. You’re making out like they fielded a full second string team.

1 hour ago, Foxboy said:

Seen a lot of these “rested their players” comments. They benched their two best players yes, but they still fielded a side filled with world class players that would all stroll into our side. You’re making out like they fielded a full second string team.

Im making out what exactly? They rested their best places. I think that’s factual. We gave them a run for their money last season. This year they knew they could beat us without their best players. Simply an observation.