Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stevosevic

"No intensity, Spurs couldn't have wished for an easier game"

The problem I have is how we perform without the ball, especially towards the end of a half. We did the same last night for Spurs first goal. Not pressing from the front, dropping deeper into our own half.

We seem to do this most games, stretching the space between midfield and striker, but even worse, meaning that if we lose the ball, we're losing it in our third of the pitch, giving away the ball in a dangerous area.

It happened last night and Son punished us with a fantastic strike. 

We need to be pressing higher up the pitch, so that when we win it back, we're in a dangerous area and can quickly attack, rather winning possession in our own area and trying a slow ponderous build-up.

Vardy coming back for Iheanacho will not fix the problem as it's more tactical than that.

the problem is we keep having to play second rate players, like gray and nacho, who would be lucky to hold a spot in the championship. thus we cant convert scoring chances. we could played for days and not have scored. FOR GOD SAKE BUY A STRIKER AND A WINGER.

'I thought Puel was as confused as his players today': Jermaine Jenas slams Leicester boss for his tactics in the Foxes' 2-0 defeat to Tottenham

• Dele Alli and Heung-min Son both scored to give Tottenham the win on Saturday
  • Jermaine Jenas has criticised Leicester manager Claude Puel for his tactics
  • Jenas believes Leicester aren't a very potent side without injured Jamie Vardy

Jermaine Jenas has criticised Leicester manager Claude Puel for his tactics in the Foxes' 2-0 defeat to Tottenham on Saturday.

Dele Alli and Heung-min Son both scored either side of half-time to give Mauricio Pochettino's side the win at the King Power Stadium.

Jenas was talking after the match on BT Sport and was bewildered by Puel's game plan. 

'I thought Puel was as confused as his players today," said Jenas.

'He set a team out there with what instructions I don’t know because there was no intensity to get into Spurs’ faces.   

'I think without [Jamie] Vardy it's very clear that they aren't very potent.'

I'm not having it...What on earth makes him have these thoughts?!

Edited by Matt
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Apollo said:

Despite people thinking that every single pundit is an idiot and clueless, Jenas is absolutely right - everyone without blue tinted glasses would agree 

nah, he’s just having a pop at us cos he’s ex spurs and forest

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

We definitely have a clear identity and style of play these days that is more technically orientated that the year of the counter attack. However, as of right now we just aren't very good at it and it's producing middling results.

Totally understand fans frustrations but it takes a long time to master something. If you start learning the Guitar today, you won't be playing lead guitar for [Insert Rock Band here] the following day.

Not intending to be of any offence as we all have differing opinions but do we really have a clear identity? Is our style of play actually becoming more observably technical? We lost last night with 42% possession at home, isn't that what we averaged during the title winning season? How long should a manager have to implement said style before actual signs of improvement are required? (Not trying to pick a fight, just looking for an honest response and I don't think Puel should be sacked until at least the Summer)

We also seem to struggle scoring from open play and still look more dangerous on the counter or at set pieces. I feel, if anything, like the team has been castrated and I know we are supposedly transitioning to a possession based style, but I haven't really seen anything to indicate when or if we will ever get there. I've seen a couple of ten minute spells that ultimilately never amounted to anything but nothing to suggest that we have a new clear identity which is successfully being imposed and producing results. I mean what does it really mean to say we have a clear identity when it's something which can't be observed. Can you be a possession based, technical team without the technique or possession? 

It still seems to me like we are still a counter attacking side albeit without the energy and intensitee.

4 minutes ago, oadby.fox said:

Not intending to be of any offence as we all have differing opinions but do we really have a clear identity? Is our style of play actually becoming more observably technical? We lost last night with 42% possession at home, isn't that what we averaged during the title winning season? How long should a manager have to implement said style before actual signs of improvement are required? (Not trying to pick a fight, just looking for an honest response and I don't think Puel should be sacked until at least the Summer)

We also seem to struggle scoring from open play and still look more dangerous on the counter or at set pieces. I feel, if anything, like the team has been castrated and I know we are supposedly transitioning to a possession based style, but I haven't really seen anything to indicate when or if we will ever get there. I've seen a couple of ten minute spells that ultimilately never amounted to anything but nothing to suggest that we have a new clear identity which is successfully being imposed and producing results. I mean what does it really mean to say we have a clear identity when it's something which can't be observed. Can you be a possession based, technical team without the technique or possession? 

It still seems to me like we are still a counter attacking side albeit without the energy and intensitee.

No worries at all, a good conversation to be had! FYI I thought Puel should have gone after the 5-0 drubbing to Palace last season, but since the start of this season I too think he deserves at least until the end of the season to improve the team.

In terms of an identity, yes I think we have a very clear one. See the link to the Tactics thread at the bottom of this post for a full write-up on that. Now last night it's true that we started as a 4-3-3 instead of our usual 4-2-3-1 which was clearly designed to stifle Tottenham and help us get into the game and I'd argue that it worked up until Son hit a belter into the top right hand corner. But even then we did switch it to 4-2-3-1 after 55 minutes. Generally speaking our style involves:

- Build the ball from the back (instead of looking for the long ball in 15/16)

- Pass the ball and try and create overloads on the wings

- Use full backs get forward to support the play. Numerous times Chilwell and Ricardo do this in every game.

- Get our front man to stretch the play so our forwards can join in. (This effect is much reduced when Vardy isn't playing)

- Use a number 10 to try and be our main creative outlet.

In terms of your question of "Can you be a possession based, technical team without the technique or possession?" well you've hit the nail on the head! I'd argue that is exactly what we are which is why we are a very mediocre side. We are trying to play a style that our players aren't yet capable of playing. Maybe they won't ever be! How do we sort it out? Well if we really want to go down this route then it's a case of coaching our existing players and adding to our squad over time in the various transfer windows.

I totally understand why many fans are fed of Puel. But the thing is that this attempt to play possession football isn't going away. Earlier in the season both Martinez and Henry were linked with the Leicester job, both coaches that play a possession and attack minded 4-3-3 as evidenced by Belgium at the World Cup. So even if Puel goes (and who knows he might do in the Summer), then someone else will come in that will be told that the mandate is to try and play a similar way. So far Leicester have tried this with Sven, Sousa and now Puel. Of the three I think Puel has had the most "success" in trying the transition.

Given that we don't have the money of teams like Man City and Chelsea, our evolution is going to take a very long time. Best examples I can think of are Martinez at Swansea / Wigan / Everton where he managed each time to evolve their style (albeit with mixed results) and also Rogers as Swansea and to a lesser extent Liverpool. All of these teams eventually managed to change their style, but it took them quite a few seasons. Hence why personally I am being patient.

It is of course highly possible that we have to scrap this experiment and revert back at some point. But now is not the time to do it IMO.

Personally thought we were doing well, but like we do so often,  especially against the top 6 we concede on half time. It changed the game. If it was 0-0 at half time Spurs may have started to get frustrated, but the emphasis changes. We do it so often, it is so annoying. 

I am prepared to give Puel time. I do see good things and we have good players. We need to get a striker in Jan, that is obvious. But also a CM who can make something happen. 

Our recruitment has to be right though. Can't keep falling to strengthen as it will lead to us going backwards.

As for Jermaine Jeans, did we expect anything else from an ex Spurs player and Forest man? Probably not. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, somebum said:

If you have a spare tennis ball, try giving it a bounce in your back garden. If you can grasp that, Google "different football tactics". Use image search as it may help you.:appl:

aw heres me hoping to hear your grand plan

4 hours ago, ronnup said:

Im making out what exactly? They rested their best places. I think that’s factual. We gave them a run for their money last season. This year they knew they could beat us without their best players. Simply an observation. 

Yes, you’re implying that we fielded our strongest team against their second string team. Are you forgetting that our two best players were injured aswell?