Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
themightyfin

Everton Post match Thread.

2 minutes ago, shade said:

decent job results wise: yes.

decent job performance wise: mehh.

the jury is out for me.

Fair enough but what more do you expect?  Do you reasonably expect us to finish above any of the "big 6?".  Look at Everton today for evidence of how difficult it is for us teams in the middle to be consistently good.  Liverpool, Man City, et al are consistently good because they have a huge infrastructure and huge squads.  We are not on their level but signs are we are inching their way slowly.  We have a young squad and are currently doing pretty well.  

• Like 2

Guest Col city fan

Honestly don’t know what to say. At times again today we looked dreadful.. but again got 3 points to end an amazing Christmas period really.

The good thing today was we never looked like conceding. Simpson again was immense I thought, as was Pereira and Vardy.. one chance and he took it.

onwards and upwards...

Just now, ealingfox said:

If we weren't such toilet at home we'd be close to the top 4 ffs lol

This is true, but if anything it's the reason to keep the faith. We have a young squad of players who will only improve so we should get better naturally over time without having to invest further, but of course we likely will invest further anyway. Plus you'd think Benkovic and Barnes will be good squad players at worst for next season.

The only fear is Vardy. How long can he go on for? But personally I think he can go on for a while. Whilst pace is his most valuable asset he will always be able to finish and be clinical, so I think we've still got 3 seasons left of him minimum. However, when he goes then he will need some major replacing as he's the best striker we've had... ever? Certainly the best since Lineker.

We're 9 points from saferty. Looking at the bottom three we're probably safe now. Apart from an appalling run of form Puel is pretty much guaranteed the job next year. 

It's almost like I can hear the thousands of teeth gritting and migraines announcing themselves.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Vardy continues to surprise!

I've literally never seen a white man pull of such incredible flips at a football game! Love him to bits!!! :scarf:

It was only two games ago when many fans here were on his back! I had to defend him

and I felt like I was in minority. I hope this puts beyond any doubt Vardy is a legend. Please support him no matter what.

Edited by Tom12345
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Babylon said:

What's he say?

Said he would be making "adjustments" which it then sounded like he clarified as "come-back". But more significantly Stringer specifically asked about Benkovich & Barnes and Claude said the former was likely to stay on loan but the latter "we'll see".

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Babylon said:

What's he say?

Dunno but I'm guessing at: I'm scared how much we rely on Vardy and how bad our wingers are except Ricardo, and he's more a right back, so I'm raiding the Championship cookie jar now in the hope he magically becomes Premier League quality straight away - besides it may get some of these whiners off my back for at least a match or two.

• Haha 1

Just now, Tom12345 said:

Please don’t bring Barnes back unless Puel is really going to play him game after game. Barnes will hate us otherwise.

He'll get minutes most matches, I'm sure of that. We don't have the options for him not to. 

We could be starting with 3 youth products soon enough, which is amazing considering how much you youth setup has been slaughtered. 

I would much rather have the problem of trying to break down the teams who park the bus against us than trying to figure out how to get points from teams around and above us. The former is a much easier problem to solve. Bit by bit we're seeing Puelball being realised but there'll be plenty of bumps on the way. Have to look at the season as a whole instead of single games in isolation, good or bad. We're still a really young team too. 31 points from 21 games is a very decent return.

4 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

The only fear is Vardy. How long can he go on for? But personally I think he can go on for a while. Whilst pace is his most valuable asset he will always be able to finish and be clinical, so I think we've still got 3 seasons left of him minimum. However, when he goes then he will need some major replacing as he's the best striker we've had... ever? Certainly the best since Lineker.

We've got the Spurs/Kane problem with him because anyone else we try up front instead is shit but we desperately need to give him a break sometimes. If we can find someone else to play there a bit we'll have a few more years of him.

Recalling Barnes is the right move for sure, we've got really limited options in attack and especially off the bench in games like the Cardiff one.

• Like 2

Puel has intelligence, he also has courage to play and change from game to game, and within the game. He’s tactically strong, and we may not all agree with the set up, but you can’t disagree with the results. I really think that with another couple of windows he can build a very useful team. His signings so far have mostly been very good, I hope we stick with him and actually get behind him. #puelin 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Foxxed said:

Dunno but I'm guessing at: I'm scared how much we rely on Vardy and how bad our wingers are except Ricardo, and he's more a right back, so I'm raiding the Championship cookie jar now in the hope he magically becomes Premier League quality straight away - besides it may get some of these whiners off my back for at least a match or two.

If we intend to play a 433 going forwards then Barnes would fit like a glove. He plays the left hand side role for West Brom's 433. Ricardo was immense there today, and Albrighton was great when he came on, but Ghezall sucked. If Barnes was here, we could have had Riccy at right back, Barnes as Left forward and Albrighton / Riccy as Right Forward. Plus Maddison to use too.

I'd still leave him out on loan but the results speak for themselves. 433 is getting us a ton of points, so bringing in forward players who are good in that system is not the worst idea, especially when those players are already ours!

But I don't expect to see him back and think players will leave on loan instead. Silva, Benny, King, etc.

• Like 1

Just now, Al-aLondon-Foxile said:

Puel has intelligence, he also has courage to play and change from game to game, and within the game. He’s tactically strong, and we may not all agree with the set up, but you can’t disagree with the results. I really think that with another couple of windows he can build a very useful team. His signings so far have mostly been very good, I hope we stick with him and actually get behind him. #puelin 

I guess that's why we aren't football club owners or managers lol