Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
themightyfin

Everton Post match Thread.

Another excellent result and credit to Puel and the players.

Not sure what the gross spend on players in the last 2 or 3 years is by both sides but that was possibly one of the lowest quality games witnessed in the Premier League for quite some time.

Alarmingly high ineptitude from both teams. Looked at times as is no one wanted the ball. Mind you Fulham spent £100 million and look where they are.

Fantastic festive period for us and Puel, even though I am still not a fan, deserves the rest of the season to see what he can do. I want him to take the FA cup seriously though.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, reynard said:

Not sure what the gross spend on players in the last 2 or 3 years is by both sides but that was possibly one of the lowest quality games witnessed in the Premier League for quite some time.

Alarmingly high ineptitude from both teams. Looked at times as is no one wanted the ball. Mind you Fulham spent £100 million and look where they are.

Fantastic festive period for us and Puel, even though I am still not a fan, deserves the rest of the season to see what he can do. I want him to take the FA cup seriously though.

Totally agree re the FA Cup especially 

6 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

Some thoughts...

1) We're an away team - one could make a case that the Man City win was an 'away' performance.

2) Everton looked poor - it may have had something to do with how we set-up and played.

3) Our tactic appears to be to contain 1st half and press for errors in the 2nd half.

4) It wasn't pretty, and we give the ball away too often.

5) 31 points from 21? Don't mind if I do.

I would be up for Puel out at home and Puel In away.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

49 minutes ago, Remember Kember said:

Thought Simpson and Evans were outstanding today. Their positional play was excellent.  Though i thought chilwell did well going forward he almost cost us a goal at the end by again playing people onside by being the wrong side of the central defenders

Needs sorting ..... reason Nigel let Moore go was this habit of dropping too deep in and around the 18 yard box 

5 minutes ago, reynard said:

Everton have spent just under 300 million since summer 17/18, with us at 170million.  

Including 16/17, we've spent 250million and Everton 360/370 million.

So yes both teams have spent a lot, but Everton have forked out 100million more than us and are competing for the same position. Shows they've really cocked up their spending.

1 minute ago, UniFox21 said:

Everton have spent just under 300 million since summer 17/18, with us at 170million.  

Including 16/17, we've spent 250million and Everton 360/370 million.

So yes both teams have spent a lot, but Everton have forked out 100million more than us and are competing for the same position. Shows they've really cocked up their spending.

You really ought to expect better quality from both teams for that investment.

1 minute ago, reynard said:

You really ought to expect better quality from both teams for that investment.

Not necessarily, when you start looking at the expenditure of the top 6, it's a step up from everyone. If you look at United, 80 and 90 million on 2 players; which is the same as our expenditure for 2 seasons.

24 minutes ago, smudgerfox said:

I fail to see how the win today is a vindication of Puel’s management at all. We scored a goal ina duller than ditchwater game on the counter following an Everton corner. Puel wants us to abandon the counter in favour of possession football. Most of our wins are constructed by counter attacking - look at the goals v Huddersfield and Watford, Chelsea. How many goals are directly attributable to shifting the ball around patiently until a space opens up? The defence looks better I will grant you that and that’s despite changes in personnel - so we have ,made progress there. But you cannot say we are winning games because Puel is successfully changing the style, if anything the opposite is true.

I’m the first one to say today wasn’t pretty, but he’s never said he wants to ‘Abandon’ counter attacks!! He wants to give us other ways to play when that isn’t going to be effective. That is the work in progress. For all the stick he gets, he’s not stupid!! 

• Like 1

Good win. Even game and being honest thought both were mediocre teams.  But we edged it and looked more composed up front. 

Riccardo...what a player. Motm for me. Sky gave it to Evans who also played well.

I think we are so much better away. Except Palace and  Bournemouth (off top of my head) we have picked up points or at least performed well. 

If I was an Everton fan I'd be well hacked off given that performance today.

Still unsure about Puel and his use of subs, but would have taken 9/12 points. Just wish we beat Cardiff now! lol

8 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

So we've now played Everton twice and won once and lost once. I think they are a very good team to compare ourselves too as of the current moment. Whilst historically they've been a very successful team, both sides are now mid table outfits that are trying to break the top 6.

I think both teams have very similar issues. They played just like we do at home... lots of sideways passing and possession but never looked like scoring in a month of Sundays. But where we differ is that I think we have much higher potential than they do. They are trying to spend their way into the top 6 and thus whilst having a number of good players, they lack cohesion or any real team spirit. They also have a number of older players that will have little to no resale value but whom don't often perform. Sigurdsson is a good player but is 29, Schneiderlin is 29, Walcott is 29. They also have a number of players that are short-term solutions. Andre Gomes is only on loan from Barcelona and Zouma is on loan from Chelsea. Not only are they as equally inconsistent as us, but their "project" has a lot of work to do and doesn't have as good a long-term view to it as ours.In my opinion of course.

Below is a comparison of spending of both clubs. They've gone for bigger names but thus far it's not really yielded results. If anything one thing that ties both clubs together is that many of the big money signings have been poor! I also think they have a similar problem that we have. They sold their best player and chief goal scorer in Lukaku and didn't replace him properly. We sold Mahrez and though we don't miss him as much, it's safe to say he would walk into our team at the moment.

We'll see where we both end up at the end of the season, but as I've said in a lot of my posts, I think our long-term strategy is the right one and there are already plenty of signs that it's working. Would love us to be more exciting to watch, but I feel like a lot of the fundamentals are being put into place. Hamza played the full 90 today as did Chilwell. Both academy graduates and both among our better players.

EvertonTransfers.thumb.PNG.e2cfca5a82917ccfc0b0961730a26ab1.PNGLeicesterTransfers.thumb.PNG.0e81a1a13ff839ab0dc872743c345104.PNG

Great post here, really shows 2 very contrasting strategies.

Everton have gone for a chuck money at big names, but ageing names. Almost in a hope of getting in the top 6 sooner rather than later. 

In contrast to us, where we used a similar strategy, but recently in the last 2 years we've gone for young, talented players. Costing a lot less than the finished players, but gives us the ability to build a real unit. 

Feel we really are on the right track in terms of plan and development. 

• Like 2

Can see why Evans was so sought after by the big clubs. Absolutely superb bar one error. 

Simpson contained Richardlison superbly as well. 

Ricardo could play for any top European club. His fourth position for us since joining and was clearly still quality. 

Chilwell, he’s a bit weak at times isn’t he? 

Albrighton coming on was so useful in pressing with more tempo

Edited by Cardiff_Fox
  • Like 1

Ricardo is so good wouldn’t mind him playing more attacking from now and keep Simpson right back worked well I thought. Evans Simpson and hamza all played well to. Need to sort the passing out at times but second half not to bad. Hate the stats on how many touches players have I seen they pointed out vardy  only had 9 touch’s at one point. He onlys needs a few to score. Albrighton made a big difference when coming on.

didnt really have much of an opinion on ghezzal until today didn’t look great and I really wanted him to have a decent game. 

Really happy with he win and 3 out of 4 wins is good no matter who the teams you beat never mind Man City Chelsea and Everton 

The spending figures make interesting reading in what we have spent compared to Everton with the top 6 spending more form a far stronger starting position. Before competing with the big 6 you have to compete with and out perform the likes of the Evertons, West Hams of the league. Another major + in how far we have come is looking at our spend and that of Everton and then looking at the resale value of the players with our additions offering a profit if sold on

26 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

So we've now played Everton twice and won once and lost once. I think they are a very good team to compare ourselves too as of the current moment. Whilst historically they've been a very successful team, both sides are now mid table outfits that are trying to break the top 6.

I think both teams have very similar issues. They played just like we do at home... lots of sideways passing and possession but never looked like scoring in a month of Sundays. But where we differ is that I think we have much higher potential than they do. They are trying to spend their way into the top 6 and thus whilst having a number of good players, they lack cohesion or any real team spirit. They also have a number of older players that will have little to no resale value but whom don't often perform. Sigurdsson is a good player but is 29, Schneiderlin is 29, Walcott is 29. They also have a number of players that are short-term solutions. Andre Gomes is only on loan from Barcelona and Zouma is on loan from Chelsea. Not only are they as equally inconsistent as us, but their "project" has a lot of work to do and doesn't have as good a long-term view to it as ours.In my opinion of course.

Below is a comparison of spending of both clubs. They've gone for bigger names but thus far it's not really yielded results. If anything one thing that ties both clubs together is that many of the big money signings have been poor! I also think they have a similar problem that we have. They sold their best player and chief goal scorer in Lukaku and didn't replace him properly. We sold Mahrez and though we don't miss him as much, it's safe to say he would walk into our team at the moment.

We'll see where we both end up at the end of the season, but as I've said in a lot of my posts, I think our long-term strategy is the right one and there are already plenty of signs that it's working. Would love us to be more exciting to watch, but I feel like a lot of the fundamentals are being put into place. Hamza played the full 90 today as did Chilwell. Both academy graduates and both among our better players.

EvertonTransfers.thumb.PNG.e2cfca5a82917ccfc0b0961730a26ab1.PNGLeicesterTransfers.thumb.PNG.0e81a1a13ff839ab0dc872743c345104.PNG

No rep left. Excellent post. 

Probably get shot down in flames but hey ho!

This is not a Puel out thread, however his decisions really do baffle me.

We won this game because Everton were really poor and they made a horrific defensive error to gift us our goal.

It appears to me that he has no idea what his best team is as he changes it far too many times.

He should receive no credit for bringing Albrighton on as he should have started as at least he displays and has an understanding with our 1 goalscorer in our squad.

1st half, we showed no idea of how to get the ball to Vardy and the balance was all wrong. 

Just because we won does not detract from how poor we actually were.

Vardy proved today why he should not be taken off as a goalscorer may only need 1 chance to score even if they appear to be having a poor game. (see Cardiff)

The jury's out for me and this result was by an opposition's mistake and not because of tactics / team selection or performance.

Think you are being a bit simplistic regards Albrighton. Agree he should play, but he looked shot on Saturday.....at the same time Ghezzal is far from the finished article, and needs game time.....he started terribly misplacing passes, and whilst he improved, it was right to take him off. If we don’t give him game time,we will never find out.

Ricardo, took at least 3 months to settle in, and has quickly risen from “ not sure” to great player.......and my point is that Claude is trying to do this with Ghezzal, Soyuncu, Hamza, Kelechi (admittedly slightly different situation) Maddison is also far from the finished article.....I actually think Puel is managing this aspect quite well.......

• Like 1