Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
themightyfin

Everton Post match Thread.

13 minutes ago, astoriafox said:

Probably get shot down in flames but hey ho!

This is not a Puel out thread, however his decisions really do baffle me.

We won this game because Everton were really poor and they made a horrific defensive error to gift us our goal.

It appears to me that he has no idea what his best team is as he changes it far too many times.

He should receive no credit for bringing Albrighton on as he should have started as at least he displays and has an understanding with our 1 goalscorer in our squad.

1st half, we showed no idea of how to get the ball to Vardy and the balance was all wrong. 

Just because we won does not detract from how poor we actually were.

Vardy proved today why he should not be taken off as a goalscorer may only need 1 chance to score even if they appear to be having a poor game. (see Cardiff)

The jury's out for me and this result was by an opposition's mistake and not because of tactics / team selection or performance.

In normal circumstances I would agree with you but it's unrealistic to have Vardy play 4 full games in 10 days. Puel has no choice but to utilise his squad at this time of year, even if some of the squad members aren't that good.

Edited by SouthStandUpperTier
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, dnewty said:

Good win for us but terrible to watch from both teams. Still can't believe what they paid for sigurdson.

On his day sigurdson is one of the best cams in the league

9E83B2DF-06C6-41D9-B54E-0262BADC07F3.png

Edited by Foxboy
Would say he’s proved his worth
  • Haha 1

I understand that point, but this reverts back to why we have only 3 strikers in the whole sqaud and another out on loan. And of those 3 strikers only 1 is worthy of a start.

That is the managers choice, we are far too reliant on Vardy for goals throughout the whole team and not just in the striking roles.

54 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

So we've now played Everton twice and won once and lost once. I think they are a very good team to compare ourselves too as of the current moment. Whilst historically they've been a very successful team, both sides are now mid table outfits that are trying to break the top 6.

I think both teams have very similar issues. They played just like we do at home... lots of sideways passing and possession but never looked like scoring in a month of Sundays. But where we differ is that I think we have much higher potential than they do. They are trying to spend their way into the top 6 and thus whilst having a number of good players, they lack cohesion or any real team spirit. They also have a number of older players that will have little to no resale value but whom don't often perform. Sigurdsson is a good player but is 29, Schneiderlin is 29, Walcott is 29. They also have a number of players that are short-term solutions. Andre Gomes is only on loan from Barcelona and Zouma is on loan from Chelsea. Not only are they as equally inconsistent as us, but their "project" has a lot of work to do and doesn't have as good a long-term view to it as ours.In my opinion of course.

Below is a comparison of spending of both clubs. They've gone for bigger names but thus far it's not really yielded results. If anything one thing that ties both clubs together is that many of the big money signings have been poor! I also think they have a similar problem that we have. They sold their best player and chief goal scorer in Lukaku and didn't replace him properly. We sold Mahrez and though we don't miss him as much, it's safe to say he would walk into our team at the moment.

We'll see where we both end up at the end of the season, but as I've said in a lot of my posts, I think our long-term strategy is the right one and there are already plenty of signs that it's working. Would love us to be more exciting to watch, but I feel like a lot of the fundamentals are being put into place. Hamza played the full 90 today as did Chilwell. Both academy graduates and both among our better players.

EvertonTransfers.thumb.PNG.e2cfca5a82917ccfc0b0961730a26ab1.PNGLeicesterTransfers.thumb.PNG.0e81a1a13ff839ab0dc872743c345104.PNG

Good post

According to that we sold Kante for 30m and Musa for 25m

The Musa fee looks like a mugging !

Fair enough given we’ve been mugged ourselves with a few purchases 

Some thoughts:

- Puel is skilled at developing young talent, and I cannot help but notice that the big bad Wilf is increasingly confident on the ball and w/his passing. Well done Wilf and Claude.

- Do people think Hamza has the ability to develop into a DM who can handle the ball well at his feet and pass forward accurately? After Puel took Chilwell from 2nd string FB to a player coveted by Man City, you almost have to imagine we can expect some real improvement from Hamza.

- Playing 3 DMs who are improving but who still struggle to get the ball forward is going to prove an issue. We should look to replace Mendy with a DM who is better on the ball and as a long-passer, even if we must pay a premium.

- Back to Hamza, hot damn playing him has flipped our season on its head. 

- We need to get rid of Ghezzal. It isn't just that he isn't adding anything to the attack, the problem is he has a low football IQ and is a liability on the ball. He is basically the one man counterattack for the other team, easy as he is to turn over. If we are healthy, he shouldn't be seeing the pitch.

- Thought Simpson really did a job today on Richarlison, was incredibly physical and kept him out of rhythm 1H then backed off 2H to avoid the yellow as Rich was well put off his game at that point.

- We really missed on Bernard, he'd be a terrific late game weapon/spot starter for a side like ours that plays so many close matches and is so often starved for creativity when attacking. He was terrific creating that late opportunity, poor Chilwell is still out there trying to find the jockstrap he lost.

- Once again Puel shows he is fine counterattacking if the opponent plays a high line. But we need a flair player to pair with Maddison if we want to start breaking down teams that are playing to defend for a draw. Even our absolute best line-up is poorly suited for that task. Ownership needs to back Puel and get him such a player on the wing. Perhaps we should see if AFCB still wants to pay 25-30 mill for Demari -- if he cannot get gametime over Ghezzal idk why we have him on the team other than to play some emergency striker.

- Happy New Year from San Francisco to all of you!

Edited by vanity
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Mike Oxlong said:

Good post

According to that we sold Kante for 30m and Musa for 25m

The Musa fee looks like a mugging !

Fair enough given we’ve been mugged ourselves with a few purchases 

I think the fees are a little bit out, but on average are correct. Kante went for 32M (which was actually a real result because his release fee was 20M but Sven did us a favour and got his Chinese club at the time to make a bid). Musa for 25m does seem hard to believe ha ha, but I think we got our money back at worst. Which you'd have to say is a result given his time here.

58 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

So we've now played Everton twice and won once and lost once. I think they are a very good team to compare ourselves too as of the current moment. Whilst historically they've been a very successful team, both sides are now mid table outfits that are trying to break the top 6.

I think both teams have very similar issues. They played just like we do at home... lots of sideways passing and possession but never looked like scoring in a month of Sundays. But where we differ is that I think we have much higher potential than they do. They are trying to spend their way into the top 6 and thus whilst having a number of good players, they lack cohesion or any real team spirit. They also have a number of older players that will have little to no resale value but whom don't often perform. Sigurdsson is a good player but is 29, Schneiderlin is 29, Walcott is 29. They also have a number of players that are short-term solutions. Andre Gomes is only on loan from Barcelona and Zouma is on loan from Chelsea. Not only are they as equally inconsistent as us, but their "project" has a lot of work to do and doesn't have as good a long-term view to it as ours.In my opinion of course.

Below is a comparison of spending of both clubs. They've gone for bigger names but thus far it's not really yielded results. If anything one thing that ties both clubs together is that many of the big money signings have been poor! I also think they have a similar problem that we have. They sold their best player and chief goal scorer in Lukaku and didn't replace him properly. We sold Mahrez and though we don't miss him as much, it's safe to say he would walk into our team at the moment.

We'll see where we both end up at the end of the season, but as I've said in a lot of my posts, I think our long-term strategy is the right one and there are already plenty of signs that it's working. Would love us to be more exciting to watch, but I feel like a lot of the fundamentals are being put into place. Hamza played the full 90 today as did Chilwell. Both academy graduates and both among our better players.

EvertonTransfers.thumb.PNG.e2cfca5a82917ccfc0b0961730a26ab1.PNGLeicesterTransfers.thumb.PNG.0e81a1a13ff839ab0dc872743c345104.PNG

How on earth did we make a profit on RRZ!! That is some shrude business

1 minute ago, Oxfordfox83 said:

Turn what around?

I can understand frustration at style, but whatever you feel about that, there is nothing to turn round. We’re 7th, 3 wins from 4. We’re doing it without a playmaker and without a second striker. Our form is outstanding, and the progress we’re making with youth and integrating excellent signings is extremely encouraging for the future. 

Whatever happens at Southampton, we have seen Hamza and Chilwell brought through, Pereira brought in, the ageing back four phased out, and the loss of Mahrez mitigated, all while placing at the top of most people’s expectations for league position. We lost on pens in the League Cup.

What more, honestly, could you want?

Far less positive posts like this for a start!

3 hours ago, Hammo said:

I voted Chilwell our player of the season so far the other day but he was generally poor today. Check out how often he gave the ball away and let Bernard get so easily past him into the area at the end. The kid is a huge talent but he badly needs a rest

Gave the ball away a lot, but for long periods he was the only option for passes out and it’s easy to defend against one man. Wilf, Mendy, Ghezzal and Simpson weren’t available pretty much every time he lost it-until they are you can’t blame him too much.

1 minute ago, cropstonfox said:

Its about results.should have bet on 1.0 vardy 2.0 vardy.then cashed out on the 2.0 it worked today and against chelski.I did try to help people but got shot down by negativity.

Croppy me old mate. Crowbarring a reference to a scoreline prediction on another post ( which was incorrect too I may add) is poor form. ;)

1 minute ago, Ceirboy said:

Croppy me old mate. Crowbarring a reference to a scoreline prediction on another post ( which was incorrect too I may add) is poor form. ;)

Ill enjoy the winnings though.Yes its crap at times and boring I was Puel out but he has won the right  to stay till the end of the season. Providing he dont play Gray or Gazelle too often

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Oxfordfox83 said:

Turn what around?

I can understand frustration at style, but whatever you feel about that, there is nothing to turn round. We’re 7th, 3 wins from 4. We’re doing it without a playmaker and without a second striker. Our form is outstanding, and the progress we’re making with youth and integrating excellent signings is extremely encouraging for the future. 

Whatever happens at Southampton, we have seen Hamza and Chilwell brought through, Pereira brought in, the ageing back four phased out, and the loss of Mahrez mitigated, all while placing at the top of most people’s expectations for league position. We lost on pens in the League Cup.

What more, honestly, could you want?

An exciting attacking team that can pass the ball! 

It it was embarrassing today - what the hell happens in training, because it doesn't translate to match days. We were poorer today than against Cardiff, but some allowance as we were the away team. 

There is no real future in this style of football, we counter attack at half the pace of 2015/16, so teams are less worried about us and our final pass us normally a cock up. 

We we are basically a boring side that soaks up pressure and hopes to nick a goal. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cropstonfox said:

Ill enjoy the winnings though.Yes its crap at times and boring I was Puel out but he has won the right  to stay till the end of the season. Providing he dont play Gray or Gazelle too often

There is only one winner when it comes to football bets. Ghezzal has shown he's not upto much and that 30 seconds for DG was 30 seconds too long!

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, astoriafox said:

Probably get shot down in flames but hey ho!

This is not a Puel out thread, however his decisions really do baffle me.

We won this game because Everton were really poor and they made a horrific defensive error to gift us our goal.

It appears to me that he has no idea what his best team is as he changes it far too many times.

He should receive no credit for bringing Albrighton on as he should have started as at least he displays and has an understanding with our 1 goalscorer in our squad.

1st half, we showed no idea of how to get the ball to Vardy and the balance was all wrong. 

Just because we won does not detract from how poor we actually were.

Vardy proved today why he should not be taken off as a goalscorer may only need 1 chance to score even if they appear to be having a poor game. (see Cardiff)

The jury's out for me and this result was by an opposition's mistake and not because of tactics / team selection or performance.

This is what annoys me sometimes about Puel haters. Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't.

Albrighton was knackered for the Cardiff game, anyone could easily tell. I'm not surprised he was rested/dropped for today.

He should indeed receive credit for bringing him on. If he doesn't bring him on, he gets lambasted even more! If he came on after 75 mins, you'd have said he should have come on at half-time. 

Also, 'he has no idea what his best team is'. What were your thoughts after the Chelsea and Man City victories, just out of interest? I'm guessing Puel gets absolutely no credit from you for those, either....

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, astoriafox said:

I understand that point, but this reverts back to why we have only 3 strikers in the whole sqaud and another out on loan. And of those 3 strikers only 1 is worthy of a start.

That is the managers choice, we are far too reliant on Vardy for goals throughout the whole team and not just in the striking roles.

We only play with one striker, that's why we have just three. The manger didn't sign any of them, you can only change the squad so quickly. If we an get Slim off the books, Okazaki goes at the end of the season then we have the chance to get a top quality player to challenge Vardy. The issue is that Oka and Nacho don't offer enough, not the numbers particularly. 

Enjoyed the 3 points

Thought the football was diabolical.

Ricardo played well as did Hamza and Simpson thought everybody else was tired and off the pace with exception of Ndidi who was particularly poor and Ghezzal who shouldn’t be wearing the shirt at this time.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, BoyJones said:

An exciting attacking team that can pass the ball! 

It it was embarrassing today - what the hell happens in training, because it doesn't translate to match days. We were poorer today than against Cardiff, but some allowance as we were the away team. 

There is no real future in this style of football, we counter attack at half the pace of 2015/16, so teams are less worried about us and our final pass us normally a cock up. 

We we are basically a boring side that soaks up pressure and hopes to nick a goal. 

So like half of 15/16 then.

We've scored more counters than any one in the league. The same numbers already as the title season. We counter still just fine, it's a total fallacy to suggest otherwise. 

This football isn't the finished article, the manager will say as much. Whether he can get us to implement it is another question, but he pulls his hair out each weak with some of our problems as he keeps repeating himself with the issues. We want to break down defensive teams that know how to counter the counter, that's going to take time and better players. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mark_w said:

Their fans were awful too. Must be a depressing day to be a toffee.

Yeah, they were truly shocking.

I remember going there in the Seventies and it was a cauldron of noise.