Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
themightyfin

Everton Post match Thread.

6 minutes ago, harpendenfox said:

Really? Shit performance? A superb away win against a mid table rival. 

What part of shit performance and immense result are you struggling with?

I’ve seen games where we’ve played the other team off the park and lost. Today we could barely play a pass to each other at times but won the game. It’s the sign of a good team to play badly and win. 

Edited by GingerrrFox

In the first half, Vardy and Claude were seen to be "discussing tactics", but that's not true. Puel had ordered some discounted epoxy filler to fix Vardy's glass groin, but he didn't qualify for Amazon Prime and had to wait longer for delivery. Fortunately, it turned up before the start of the second half. Judging by his acrobatics, Jamie was over the moon. Oh, and he also scored. That's nice too.

• Haha 1

People commenting like we have to play every game like we're world beaters. Games like this have happened under every previous manager, and the smash and grab is a great make up for what Cardiff did to us on Saturday.

Great job in a scrappy game. Not great in the first half but, low and behold, that's football in a hectic festive period.

Ricardo is fast becoming the best player in the team. When he goes he'll be a bigger loss than someone like Maguire leaving.

1 minute ago, rachhere said:

Great stuff! Always felt like a double-pointer that one with seeing Everton as our main rivals for 7th place, but on reflection after that match, maybe it's more Wolves we need to watch out for... big match coming up on the 19th. 

Second half was a lot more entertaining (not that that was hard), but these new year fixtures are always appalling quality... 

I think we can all agree that we should never see Hamza playing for the u23s again - first team only for him from now on. 

Hamza was massive today. Great in the air and at shielding the ball in that midfield. Such a vital role. New favourite player...

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Happy Fox said:

Fair play to Puel.

I must admit I am not his biggest fan but he has done welll, Albrighton’s substitution for Ghezzal changed the outcome of the game.

Picking Ghezzal to start with was one of the reasons it was so shit.

• Like 1

Stick with 4-3-3 and go from there. It was a truly terrible game for large parts. Second half was far better from us though, Ghezzal needs binning, bloke's out of his depth. Choudhury should be starting every game, Ricardo I'm starting to think is our best player.

We were lucky with how we got the lead but I do think the biggest praise I can give Puel is how well we seem to hold onto it when we do have it. Arsenal away is the only game all season that we've thrown a lead away in.

It's pretty obvious he's found a way to crack the so called tougher games on paper. He just needs to develop a way to break down the teams who come here and defend.

Everton the worst side I've seen all season. They've been utterly appalling since that Pickford howler at Anfield.

• Like 2

Yes it was bad, it was ugly.  But Everton looked bad in part because we made them look bad with the way we were set up and the personnel we had on the pitch.  That part of the gameplan worked 100% as Puel intended it to.

A true box-to-box midfield presence - a Chillwell/Pereira for the middle of the pitch - swapped in for Mendy or Ndidi would totally transform this side.  I don't think it happens in January but it has to happen if we're going to take the next step.

• Like 4

Simmo and Evans were excellent today. If not for them, it would have been hard to keep Everton at nil. Evans just edges Simmo for MOTM, with Ricardo coming very closely behind at third. Lucky it was him who capitalized on the one Everton mistake for that killer pass to Vardy. Had it been Chilwell, there would have not been a goal. 

Special mention to Hamza as well who did very well.

Mendy was atrocious at times with his passing but he got better towards the end of the game.

Edited by Tom12345

Are people liking puel again this week.

Thought the game lacked any sort of quality from both sides.

Could easily have been a draw, and probably the fair result, but we took our chance, and they didn’t.

Puel will not get us relegated, but the only way he will please the masses due to his style, he will have to get us into Europe, sadly that’s how expectant some of our fan base has become.

Good win, now we need to learn how to beat teams that sits in against us.

The game as a whole was a bit of a shocker today. That said if it was a good game would be have won it?

The first half was turgid Sunday league hoofball,  but as soon as we got in front I don't think it was ever in doubt. A Puel ball master class and the sort of game that suits his style. As the game got stretched we looked more dangerous. In my opinion we were unlucky to only win by one.

Notable shootouts today for:

Ricardo- he's just bloody lovely isn't he. I've never seen a fullback make so much of a difference. Granted he was playing further up today but he is so dangerous. I'll wait while someone tells me of a better right back in the league right now.

Evans: defence is an area we really aren't struggling, huge strength in depth and today he was absolutely terrific. Alongside Maguire they are collossals. One brain fart of a minute but that aside was superb.

Choudhury: no coincidence us picking points up when this lad has been introduced to the team. He plays like a winner. Great attitude, superb engine and seems to be enjoying himself. I can see him adding goals at some point too.

All in all 7th in the league, 9 out of 12 at Christmas. What more can people ask for?

• Like 1