Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
themightyfin

Shout out for Simpson.

2 minutes ago, Walshie is God said:

Rather see Danny RB and Ricardo further forward

Thought the lack of right back cost us first half. Kept having to pass backwards because Simpson wasn’t exploiting the space infront of him. Did well against Richarlison but I remember Amartey had Richarlison in his back pocket last season aswell. 

Edited by OhYesNdidi
  • Like 1

Guest Col city fan

I’ll say again (maybe for the 10th time?)

Simpson remains our best defensive RB. He’s not a wing back, he’s never professed to be a wing back. But if you want a solid RB who doesn’t give much away and doesn’t get very prone to silly errors (no names mentioned), you won’t go far wrong.

Great professional and has been superb for our club.

5 hours ago, LCFC FOX said:

He’s great at defending. Just shite going forward again. Every time he receives it he turns and passes it backwards. 

Did you not see his backheel in the opposition half? :appl:

But in all seriousness, that is why he does that. I think he's fully aware of his weakness of going forward and that's why he gets rid as quick as possible. But as a defender, you just couldn't fault him today. Positioning, reading of the game was exceptional. What we lose in attacking we massively gain defensively.

Outstanding today and a very solid defensive display. I would say that was down to Simmo and Evans. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, themightyfin said:

I must say I was guilty of writing him off never to be seen again but great performance today against Everton.

I say keep him he still has a part to play.

Well done Danny boy. 

I’d give him another’s year based entirely on today’s performance and I’ve been critical of him in the past. If he’s got someone ahead of him who can attack then his defensive skills are still top notch and he’s clearly still got the club in his heart.

5 hours ago, wokinghamfox said:

Good to see Puel congratulate him at the end of the game.

And a shout out for Puel for realising he was wrong in sidelining Simpson in the early part of the season and bringing him back.

There probably isnt a better defender in the Premier League than Simpson apart from Van Dijk

7 hours ago, Vacamion said:

Not so long ago Simpson was playing in the U23s and had a number of players above him in the pecking order.

Brilliant fightback to star for our first team again recently.

one of several horror decisions of CP in this season - Simmo hero 4ever

• Like 1

Simmo and Ricardo are a great combination. Simpson is a quality defender, no need at all for him to go forward, and he is more than happy to stand up against two attackers. I’d like to see this from now on, Ricardo is wasted at full back when he is so devastating going forward. 

• Like 3

It’s good to have different options for different situations.

Simmo offers us a more defensive alternative to both Ricardo and Amartey, which is ideal for playing against the top 6.

It is on that basis I’d keep him another year. We don’t know how Big Dan will be when he comes back from his injury and all it takes is for him or Ricardo to get injured and suddenly we’re short and lacking options. 

I expect he’d take a pay cut, but judging by his interview the other day he wants to stay and would more than likely be happy to do it. A no-brainier in my eyes.

8 hours ago, LCFC FOX said:

He’s great at defending. Just shite going forward again. Every time he receives it he turns and passes it backwards. 

I work with a couple of QPR fans and they think the opposite. But he has never been good going forward for us. It’s like he has cement in his boots when he gets past the halfway line.

8 hours ago, OhYesNdidi said:

Thought the lack of right back cost us first half. Kept having to pass backwards because Simpson wasn’t exploiting the space infront of him. Did well against Richarlison but I remember Amartey had Richarlison in his back pocket last season aswell. 

This is the essence of it for me.  Simpson in a vacuum is fine - he is indeed a proper stay at home right back.  But as the first half showed, our creativity is so limited that our attacking game is punchless unless both Ricardo and Chilwell are available to make bombing runs forward from the fullback spots.  Add a strong creative midfielder and maybe your best lineup against some teams could be Simpson at RB and Ricardo on the wing, but with the current squad we really need Ricardo as a fullback.

I like Danny, appreciate what he does.  But like Morgan he's not getting any younger, so I'd let him walk.  And truthfully Ricardo's best position is right back, and he's the sort of player you structure a lineup around.  You don't move a guy like Pereira to acommodate a guy like Simpson.

• Like 1

Played well. He is very useful for big games away where we are likely to be under a lot of pressure. I wouldnt have him playing any other matches as I think Ricardo and Albrighton are better on that side together. Worth an extra year if he takes a paycut though, as when Amartey returns Simpson wont play as much again.

10 minutes ago, lgfualol said:

Played well. He is very useful for big games away where we are likely to be under a lot of pressure. I wouldnt have him playing any other matches as I think Ricardo and Albrighton are better on that side together. Worth an extra year if he takes a paycut though, as when Amartey returns Simpson wont play as much again.

He's also useful to have as a 70th-minute sub if you're protecting a lead, so you can move Pereira forward.  But if Amartey comes back 100% you don't really need Simpson for that role - he'd be a luxury item.

Hats off to him for taking every opportunity to remind us how talented a defender he is. It is a useful way for Puel to tighten up at the back when needed, when he is on the bench.

At least Amartey got injured before Simmo had a chance to leave, if we had been down to one recognised RB again I would have been moved to tears.

I'd absolutely keep Simpson in the squad, think the way we cast him aside was mental. He's a brilliant defender. He a clearly not a progressive first choice, but if you need to shore up and have someone in  there who can hold and ket the front players work it's him.

• Like 1

He was ok in a very drab game.

One thing, I know he's trying to not give a handball penalty away but he looks like an idiot coming in with those chicken wings. Nobody else does it, and surely it must upset your balance/equilibrium wtf??

4 minutes ago, Gwyn said:

He was ok in a very drab game.

One thing, I know he's trying to not give a handball penalty away but he looks like an idiot coming in with those chicken wings. Nobody else does it, and surely it must upset your balance/equilibrium wtf??

:fishing:

Guest Col city fan
1 hour ago, woznotwos said:

You read my mind

I hope so. He very rarely makes glaring errors. Though not exciting he’s generally a ‘safe’ defender. Much undervalued imo.