Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Puel 'Facing the sack' - reports

12 minutes ago, john ridley said:

See what happens after a after a near certain defeat today, a struggle  on Sunday and things are going to get difficult to defend .Hope I'm  wrong but all this is never going to go away  till he's  sacked.

And will start again the first game the new manager loses!

23 minutes ago, mugshot said:

Happy new year!

My take on Puel is...

We we won the premier league on a style of soaking up pressure and hitting teams on the counter at rapid pace. We had a style that suited the team but realistically was not a style that could continue year after year because A) teams were finding us out and B) physically the players could not keep up the intensity.

Puel is trying to support transitioning the team in both personnel and style.

The personnel because we have key players leave (Kante/Mahrez/Drinkwater) and the rest of the title winning team are aging. This means that whilst there have been players bought who are not right for the team/squad, there are a number of young players being bloodied in to the team ready for (hopefully) greater things in the future. In the defense and midfield I believe we can be excited by what we have in our young under 23 players (Chilwell, Soyuncu, Benkovic, Hamza, Maddison, Gray to name a few.... we still have kaputska and others) so the problematic area at the moment is unearthing the Vardy replacement, which to be honest is like getting blood out of a stone because he is unlike any of the other PL frontmen and a replacement that is known would cost a fortune IF we could get them to join Leicester vs. the top 6.  

The later in style is needed to build for the future so we have a plan A and B. Think the last three matches. The problem here is that we have all enjoyed a fast paced, frenetic and extremely enjoyable brand of football in recent times and now Puel wants a more possession based approach that is less exciting when not mixed with an attack group cutting opposition defense to ribbons. This is also whilst transitioning to a young team, many of which on their first/second seasons in the prem. 

My view is that looking at Puel at an overall level of moving the team from the title winning personnel and style to a new group of young exciting players and adapting our style, he is doing a decent job. This is going to take a season or two to happen for us to hopefully be back challenging the top 6 who are just gaining in strength aince we won the league.

Its the 1st Jan and we are 8th, one point off 7th with a very young and exciting team... the future is exciting and Puel, whilst at times not being dynamic or playing a dynamic brand of football that excites is quietly going about this transition and doing it well so far so I’m Puel in.

Way way to sensible for foxestalk on a morning you should be hanging. It took ferrgie 3yrs to turn utd round. But the Curse of our title win means managers here get 6 months at best. 

13 hours ago, The Doctor said:

Assuming by second half you mean in the new year - we took 20 points from 16 games. 1.25 points per game, or 25 points by now if we'd produced the same form this season - Everton and West Ham are only 2 points up on that. Everyone is that bad, that inconsistent. People have delusions of grandeur if they think midtable is better than that and we're better than midtable - we've only finished in the top 7 four times in our history and once since 1929

while I agree with your point, for pedantry we finished 3rd and 2nd in consecutive seasons 90 years ago.

Whilst I agree with your point, you appear to have erased 1963 from history. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, foxinsocks said:

Just go puel.... you have nothing to offer us.... you do not inspire us.... you take albrighton off and leave gray on.  You set us up so we can't break down Cardiff. ..or burnley or palace or Southampton reserves.   We are a one club golfer and you won't let us use the one club we have.  Please find yourself a new club and leave us be

Such a crock, Vardy is fifth-top scorer in 2018. We've lost our most creative player to supply him as well. We've scored more counters than anyone but Liverpool and as many as our title winning season already.

Anyone thinking hitting an aging Vardy earlier against a packed defence is going to make a huge difference to our fortunes is kidding themselves.

IMG_5253.JPG

10 hours ago, foxinsocks said:

Just go puel.... you have nothing to offer us.... you do not inspire us.... you take albrighton off and leave gray on.  You set us up so we can't break down Cardiff. ..or burnley or palace or Southampton reserves.   We are a one club golfer and you won't let us use the one club we have.  Please find yourself a new club and leave us be

Maybe we need to buy some new clubs for him to use. 

20 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Such a crock, Vardy is fifth-top scorer in 2018. We've lost our most creative player to supply him as well. We've scored more counters than anyone but Liverpool and as many as our title winning season already.

Anyone thinking hitting an aging Vardy earlier against a packed defence is going to make a huge difference to our fortunes is kidding themselves.

IMG_5253.JPG

Quoting those stats is a bit of a one-sided approach to the argument.

Yes, Vardy scored eleven goals in between January and May, three of those in the last two matches.

The problem is is that it hardly helped us - out of these eleven goals in ten matches, five were scored in defeats, one in a draw, four in wins.

Once the Puel honeymoon period with five wins in ten matches was over, our second half to last season read W5 D4 L9.

So, despite Jamie Vardy scoring and no matter when you start counting the goals, last season we lost more than we won under Puel (albeit only by a one-match difference).

Which indicates the system under Puel isn't working fully, as we either can't defend for the life of it or have troubles finding other sources for goals.

And this season so far looks to be a continuation of that issue. We play with a system that sort of isolates our lone striker up front and can create only little in midfield to support poor Jamie.

By the way, Vardy himself isn't fully up to speed himself, as he's been rather wasteful up front so far, lot more missed chances than before.

We seemingly make a step forward (two great and rather unexpected wins against Chelsea and Manchester City), then make at least one step backwards, faltering against a poor Cardiff side. Before that, a loss at Crystal Palace and a draw away at Fulham after the Watford win.

So, my question is - where's the progress under Puel after more than a year in charge? The tendency points towards another rather deceiving mid-table finish.

10 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

Yes, Vardy scored eleven goals in between January and May, three of those in the last two matches.

The problem is is that it hardly helped us - out of these eleven goals in ten matches, five were scored in defeats, one in a draw, four in wins.

Once the Puel honeymoon period with five wins in ten matches was over, our second half to last season read W5 D4 L9.

So, despite Jamie Vardy scoring and no matter when you start counting the goals, last season we lost more than we won under Puel (albeit only by a one-match difference).

Which indicates the system under Puel isn't working fully, as we either can't defend for the life of it or have troubles finding other sources for goals.

And this season so far looks to be a continuation of that issue. We play with a system that sort of isolates our lone striker up front and can create only little in midfield to support poor Jamie.

By the way, Vardy himself isn't fully up to speed himself, as he's been rather wasteful up front so far, lot more missed chances than before.

We seemingly make a step forward (two great and rather unexpected wins against Chelsea and Manchester City), then make at least one step backwards, faltering against a poor Cardiff side. Before that, a loss at Crystal Palace and a draw away at Fulham after the Watford win.

So, my question is - where's the progress under Puel after more than a year in charge? The tendency points towards another rather deceiving mid-table finish.

Defence has improved. And considering we have lost Mahrez you could say we have improved overall. Maintaining this position after losing such a player is a feat. Most clubs drop off massively when they lose their best player

1 hour ago, mazarron fox said:

And will start again the first game the new manager loses!

And as we are paying for the entertainment we have the right to moan or cheer at will. I'm always surprised at fans who think we should never criticise the manager or players, both manager and players know it goes with the territory and earn more than most of us in a lifetime for the privilege of entertaining us. So get a new manager in and if he doesn't deliver get him out until we find one that can deliver, it's called business and that is exactly what are owners are businessmen. And let's face it they are not shy at getting rid of anyone who can't deliver.

• Like 1

Here's the thing that gets me...

It's pretty clear that there are elements of Puel's reign that haven't been good enough. The Cardiff game was atrocious, our record at home against the smaller teams has been poor and many games have been dull/uninspired/boring (take your pick).

Yet we're still 8th and that alone seems justification for some that he's doing a great job and should be kept.

Quick question for those who think that: where would we be with a better record at home against those smaller teams?

The chances are that we could have qualified for Europe last year, been top 6 this year and capitalising on Man United's troubles or pretty nailed on in 7th spot (as it stands we've been as low as 12th within the last 3 games). And that's what I find frustrating.

If you are a supporter who looks at avoiding relegation as a good achievement or top half in the Premier League as outstanding based on Leicester City's history then you are part of the problem. The game has changed with the title win and with having the ambitious owners that we do and if our expectations don't change accordingly then guess what? One year we'll miss what we consider acceptable and be back in The Championship.

Whilst we're not doing disastrously by any means, with Puel at the helm it feels like an opportunity is being missed. I may be wrong in thinking that we're a better manager away from pushing top 6 but I'm willing to find out given how the excitement of watching Leicester City has slowly ebbed away.

• Like 1

It’s an interesting one because our pattern of form follows two rivals for 7th and big spenders at that.

West Ham have great form all December and they are dismal at Burnley. Similarly Everton whack Burnley but then lose to Brighton. 

We dont appear to be the only club with the same issues. Interestingly with Everton too, they are playing far more open...yes probably more entertaining but they are occasionally getting whacked for four and six. 

7th to 13th are much of a muchness it appears. Top six have a consistency the rest don’t - as appalling as Man U have been at times, they have still regularly knocked off the smaller clubs 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Freeman's Wharfer said:

Here's the thing that gets me...

It's pretty clear that there are elements of Puel's reign that haven't been good enough. The Cardiff game was atrocious, our record at home against the smaller teams has been poor and many games have been dull/uninspired/boring (take your pick).

Yet we're still 8th and that alone seems justification for some that he's doing a great job and should be kept.

Quick question for those who think that: where would we be with a better record at home against those smaller teams?

The chances are that we could have qualified for Europe last year, been top 6 this year and capitalising on Man United's troubles or pretty nailed on in 7th spot (as it stands we've been as low as 12th within the last 3 games). And that's what I find frustrating.

If you are a supporter who looks at avoiding relegation as a good achievement or top half in the Premier League as outstanding based on Leicester City's history then you are part of the problem. The game has changed with the title win and with having the ambitious owners that we do and if our expectations don't change accordingly then guess what? One year we'll miss what we consider acceptable and be back in The Championship.

Whilst we're not doing disastrously by any means, with Puel at the helm it feels like an opportunity is being missed. I may be wrong in thinking that we're a better manager away from pushing top 6 but I'm willing to find out given how the excitement of watching Leicester City has slowly ebbed away.

It’s all well and good saying that a better manager will get us in to the top 6 but there isn’t a better manager out there that will come to Leicester city. That is what the problem is, we may have won the league but everyone knows that that was a one off. Zinedine Zidane isn’t kicking down doors at the king power trying to get a job with us.

31 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

It's a one sided approach because I'm addressing a certain repeated issue about Vardy that doesn't really add up when you look at the stats.

How the hell is it deceiving, you finish or sit where you deserve.

Well the progress is not being in a relegation battle since he's been here compared to the previous two managers for starters.

The progress is being 8th which you want to ignore. The progress is the fifth best defence compared to only 4 teams having a worse record last year.

Yes the attacking side needs addressing now that we are more solid defensively. But he's just lost our best attacking player probably ever in the modern era and the big money attack signings of Musa, Slimani, Iheanacho, Silva have all been a complete flop which he's still dealing with.

Progress can be slow, and it is. It's far from perfect at the moment and I totally understand the entertainment argument. But people said he couldn't fix the defence, that he couldn't fix the set piece defending issue, but both seem sorted now.

The squad is still on transition with a large number out of contract in the summer that will leave spaces open for other options. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, weller54 said:

We lost at home to Cardiff, lost to Palace, got hammered at Bournemouth... 

Couldn't beat Burnley,  Fulham or a ten man West Ham.. 

Got a jammy win against Wolves and failed to impress in all but a handful of matches under Puel. 

So I'll stick to the blind faith opinion. 

Happy new year! 

I’m not stating I back him no matter what - if you read my other post I state it’s been incredibly frustrated with the football. 

The idea that anyone that backs a manager is doing it blindly is an odd one to have. 

17 minutes ago, Freeman's Wharfer said:

We'd be higher, like every other team would be. But the next manager isn't going to win every game as well, it just doesn't happen like that unless it's a total freak season. Money talks and we're about where we should be.

There are still issues with the squad balance that any manager coming in will still have to deal with. If anything it's likely to slow the entire process down again and muddle it even more.

1 minute ago, Gevans_97 said:

I’m not stating I back him no matter what - if you read my other post I state it’s been incredibly frustrated with the football. 

The idea that anyone that backs a manager is doing it blindly is an odd one to have. 

It's their way of trying to rubbish and decent argument to give him time. Making out it's blind faith (despite being 8th, not really blind is it), making out anyone thinking he's doing enough to warrant longer, also thinks he's doing a "great job".

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, yks said:

I don't get that reasoning.
Football is a sport, not a show.
When you pay for a place in a stadium, you don't pay people being here to entertain you, you pay to watch two teams facing each other trying to get the best result possible, there isn't any guarantee of entertainment and that's absolutely not the responsibility of the players or the manager to entertain you .
People watching football games are supposed to be supporters... here to support their team... that's not the other way around.

Broadly agree ....... in the end, if we payed it between the centre halves for 91 mins and then a punt forward goes in off Okazaki‘s arse then I’m happy enough ! 

I woud father be pushing top six in the prem than being being entertaining in the championship ...... others who are less competitively minded will disagree .....

• Like 1

Could anyone trying impose their own view as the only true view, on the “can criticise/cannot criticise” view of

* Puel In/Out

* Booing at Games

* Players that aren’t good enough

Perleeeeease stop being so VEGAN and forcing it down everyone’s throats, as the right way to be a Foxes fan.

All views are personal views, and can have merit.

So let all Leicester fans be heard, positive and negative, in this New Year.

• Like 1