Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Puel 'Facing the sack' - reports

2 minutes ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

This antics is so embarrassing though, puts Arsenal fans to shame. Why are half our fanbase trying to one up each other, that's not how this is meant to work.

The ones wanting us to win and haven't got an agenda against the manager when we're 7th are embarrassing. Ok then,

2 minutes ago, Footballwipe said:

Because every game under every previous manager in the Premier League we've played has been pulsating and perfect. When will people set their expectations. 

Look at the league this season, Wolves beat Chelsea and Spurs but get stuffed at home by Huddersfield. Do you think we're the only inconsistent and frustrating teams in the PL?

A couple of weeks ago I wanted him gone, like Matt. I was so tired of the slow, dreary, insipid crap we were being served home game after home game. But look at the Xmas period. We weren't great against Cardiff, but that's football. The other three have been fantastic results. Sometimes I you know, wins are scrappy. Particularly at 12:30pm on the fourth game of our difficult festive fixtures.

All I wanted was for my team to show desire, fight and to be able to come away having felt we gave it the best go we could. I've seen we can do that and I'm hoping there's a continual evolving over time to make sure we're like that as many times as possible in a season. But it won't be every game, even when we're at peak in the future, because that's football.

He's shown he can get the best out of this, and we are bloody good. There's still work to do as shown by Cardiff and some games leading up to Xmas, but I think he deserves to get the players, ideas and transformation across now. As someone said, we're seventh and let's be honest another chop, change and turnover of personnel will only go one way.

Problem is, and you can see it in the stands, people have made their minds up and won't be changed. People seem to root against us to conform to their agenda, they hate the thought of him succeeding. We're people like this when O'Neill was struggling? As soon as something goes wrong or a substitution which isn't approved by the majority is made people lose their rag. It's so tiresome and I'm coming to detest this intolerant section of the fan base.

It's been widely said but my god the PL win has so warped some expectations when in reality, would any manager have us any higher?

I might be back to being negative about him if we do return to the ways of November/early December, but for now weird intolerants will just continue to find whatever they can to support their opinion. This team, if kept together and correctly added to, will be fantastic. If only we had patience instead of this unrealistic now, now, now approach.

That's fine mate, if 3 wins has totally changed your opinion you're entitled to it. Last 4 games we played well in 1. We battled well against Chelsea and Everton but we were by no means a dominant team.

As I've said I'm not expecting to even get into CL but the direction it's heading doesn't fill me with confidence. 

• Like 1

It seems people have deluded expectations and that annoys me more. I've seen stuff like "we should be 5th" and I genuinely why people think this. We have an average squad but I think Puel is slowly building it - he has inherited players, some of which are past it now, and needs to bring new players in - I've said all along this will take time.

I have defended him all season but walked away from Selhurst Park with my mind changed - we were so bad that day - but 9 points from Everton/Chelsea/Manchester City are massive and have swung me again. We are inconsistent (beating Manchester City and losing to Cardiff lol ) but that's because we aren't good enough for the top 6 but better than the relegation candidates - just like the likes of Everton, Wolves, Bournemouth... 

Puel has made mistakes but also done some good things for us. I like the fact he is prepared to give youth a chance, he has made us a bit more solid at the back (we have only conceded 23 goals) and we're better from set-pieces.

• Like 2

“ I'm sure, sadly, that some fans would rather we lose just to get Puel out. ”

Just got off the phone to my 91 year old Dad (Enderby Town & City reserves back in the day) who tells me my cousin, STH for years, wanted us to lose against Man. City & wants us to lose against Newport (on his birthday FFS) for this very reason. I despair.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Manini said:

I actually don’t mind him and his quiet, considered, play safe style. It isn’t the most exciting but I think we needed stability after the last few years. He’s clearly got his own ideas and he’s winning football matches. I think a lot of people think we’re something we’re not. He’ll get my backing for as long as he’s here and I think we could have done a lot worse than Puel. 

I was thinking about this earlier and that’s a little bit unfair. Look at our back 5, arguably our worst performer there this season is Maguire who is probably the most rated. We then have the best striker outside of the top 6 and with all of this it’s fair to say we should be aiming for 7th.

This is what I was saying about being close to something special if he adds the right players (A plan B striker and a quality, creative winger).

• Like 2

I am Puel out mainly from our half hearted attempt at 7th place and Europe last season. It was there for us but the negative brand of football cost us back then.

I am all for a change of style as we eventually got found out after the PL win.

At times though we have to play to the situation. Against Chelsea and Man City we countered more than in recent memory and looked dangerous.

Then against Cardiff we reverted back to possession football,were poor, played slow uninspiring football and very little creativity. 

In time I think we will become a good footballing team but we need a real gem in the middle of the park who dictates play. Not in the number 10 role , but alongside one of our DMs.

A Winger is also needed along with a striker/target man different to what we have. We can not keep putting crosses in with no real focal point to aim at.

To take 9/12 points over Xmas is a fantastic return. Plenty of tired legs and players like Maguire, Chilwell, Ricardo, Mendy, Ndidi and Vardy who have barely missed a minute need applauding.

That is taking nothing away from the other players efforts during this time.

During this period we have seen the coming of age of Hamza. 

The initial 6 mentioned deserve a week off in my eyes. Come back fresh for Southampton at home.

I am hoping for consistent performances between now and the end of the season, results also. 7th is there if we want it. The European carrot is dangled, let’s give it a good go

• Like 2

Just now, foxfanazer said:

The ones backing the team and the manager are as bad as the ones wanting us to lose so he gets sacked? Some people just love the negativity

It's not about where you stand, it's this constant need to push an agenda after every fixture. Rather than just enjoying a win it's, "where are you puel outers now", if we lose to Southampton or even more dreading, Newport it'll be the exact same yet on the other foot.

• Like 1

Just now, Rigga said:

I am Puel out mainly from our half hearted attempt at 7th place and Europe last season. It was there for us but the negative brand of football cost us back then.

I am all for a change of style as we eventually got found out after the PL win.

At times though we have to play to the situation. Against Chelsea and Man City we countered more than in recent memory and looked dangerous.

Then against Cardiff we reverted back to possession football,were poor, played slow uninspiring football and very little creativity. 

In time I think we will become a good footballing team but we need a real gem in the middle of the park who dictates play. Not in the number 10 role , but alongside one of our DMs.

A Winger is also needed along with a striker/target man different to what we have. We can not keep putting crosses in with no real focal point to aim at.

To take 9/12 points over Xmas is a fantastic return. Plenty of tired legs and players like Maguire, Chilwell, Ricardo, Mendy, Ndidi and Vardy who have barely missed a minute need applauding.

That is taking nothing away from the other players efforts during this time.

During this period we have seen the coming of age of Hamza. 

The initial 6 mentioned deserve a week off in my eyes. Come back fresh for Southampton at home.

I am hoping for consistent performances between now and the end of the season, results also. 7th is there if we want it. The European carrot is dangled, let’s give it a good go

Now this is somebody who is Puel out but actually gives a reason and isn't just like 'he's shit and boring' blah blah blah

2 minutes ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

It's not about where you stand, it's this constant need to push an agenda after every fixture. Rather than just enjoying a win it's, "where are you puel outers now", if we lose to Southampton or even more dreading, Newport it'll be the exact same yet on the other foot.

We know where the Puel outers are. There's about 15 threads created every day. I get your point though, the cycle is tedious. At least one side is actively supporting the club 

Edited by foxfanazer
  • Like 2

Just now, HankMarvin said:

Should be with the squad and wages we pay.

arguably we have 4 or 5 players that could play for teams in the top 6.

Vardy, Chilwell, Ricardo are definitely top 6 players. Chilwells progress has been astonishing :) Maguire is up there too, Evans too if he’s at it like he was today ? we have to invest in creativity and scoring though.

4 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

Now this is somebody who is Puel out but actually gives a reason and isn't just like 'he's shit and boring' blah blah blah

Thanks.

Continue to be very torn but after our Xmas period (even though still seething about the Cardiff game) Puel deserves to carry us forward.

I just hope he realisies if he addresses one or two areas (Giroud type CF a must) then we will more opportunities during games to score)

1 minute ago, SheppyFox said:

Vardy, Chilwell, Ricardo are definitely top 6 players. Chilwells progress has been astonishing :) Maguire is up there too, Evans too if he’s at it like he was today ? we have to invest in creativity and scoring though.

2of those have come on massively under Puel's reign in fairness

Just now, Rigga said:

Thanks.

Continue to be very torn but after our Xmas period (even though still seething about the Cardiff game) Puel deserves to carry us forward.

I just hope he realisies if he addresses one or two areas (Giroud type CF a must) then we will more opportunities during games to score)

I have the same worries believe me but I really feel we and the players will benefit from some stability. At the very least until the end of the season. We're not in a crisis so don't need to go out and panic into getting a new manager

Similar to Matt, we're performing well in the league and that's enough for me.

I remain frustrated that he didn't pick a stronger team in the quarter final - that was an opportunity we should have seized with both hands. But excellent results since have placated me.

Now let's challenge for 7th!

P.S. - and take the FA Cup seriously too!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rusko187 said:

Yes today was a fantastic game :blink:

Shocking game but as mentioned right result. I also follow the Tigers and in Rugby Union they give extra points for scoring tries they don't yet do that in Football. Plenty on here wanted us to go for Silva and the lovely style of Football he plays and however poor we were today how bad were they. We get a clear penalty awarded and Harry buries a sitter and it is a romp. I am one of plenty who have no stomach to gamble on a management change but nobody who backs Puel is claiming we are reaching our ceiling. People point to Southampton and boring crap football with an 8th place finish and Cup final. Well they have really taken the next step forward, now the paying fans of Southampton had enough and wanted him gone so be it now we have had plenty of discussion about the pros and cons about his achievements at Soton, well being a Leicester fan it does not really bother me but have just two words to say in his defence for the Southampton spell SHANE LONG

• Like 1

I think part of the problem is that a lot of people probably can't see the bigger picture. 

Let's be honest, we're not going to win the league again any time soon but our fairy tale in 2016 has perhaps contributed to affect our expectations. It is obvious that our owners realised that the title win was a one off and that continuing to play solely counter attacking football wasn't going to help us progress long term. They are building slowing for the future.

Puel has been given a brief and he is delivering it. Whilst some team selections seem baffling at times it makes sense to try different things when you're not in danger of going down but are not going to challenge the top 2 or 3 either. Would the likes of Chilwell and Hamza have progressed as much if we were fighting to stay up?

Would we swap places with the bottom 5 or 6 having to go for it every game because we need every point. 

I'll take a few seasons of boring middle to top half of the table football whilst the club slowly develop and build a young team capable of challenging in the future.

• Like 2

Lets be honest, a couple more performances like cardiff and youll be screaming out again. In reality, hes done a fairly decent job. Hes found a winning formula against the big 6 and playing away from home. Hes been here a while and yet to find something which works against lesser teams and hasnt got us playing good football at home. And lets be honest there is little difference in points from 6-14 at the moment. Theres isnt just an in/out mob , there exists an in between!

Edited by bfox
  • Like 1