Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Puel 'Facing the sack' - reports

3 minutes ago, Cala Bona Fox said:

I think part of the problem is that a lot of people probably can't see the bigger picture. 

Let's be honest, we're not going to win the league again any time soon but our fairy tale in 2016 has perhaps contributed to affect our expectations. It is obvious that our owners realised that the title win was a one off and that continuing to play solely counter attacking football wasn't going to help us progress long term. They are building slowing for the future.

Puel has been given a brief and he is delivering it. Whilst some team selections seem baffling at times it makes sense to try different things when you're not in danger of going down but are not going to challenge the top 2 or 3 either. Would the likes of Chilwell and Hamza have progressed as much if we were fighting to stay up?

Would we swap places with the bottom 5 or 6 having to go for it every game because we need every point. 

I'll take a few seasons of boring middle to top half of the table football whilst the club slowly develop and build a young team capable of challenging in the future.

Don’t think the club will be in a position to turn down huge money for players again. 

The rejected Maguire offer was cushioned by the Mahrez fee.

So I’m not not we will ever be able to build a team capable of challenging in the future.

If Chillwell keeps on improving as he has, he will be well sought after come the summer.

4 minutes ago, Izzy said:

I'll admit that after the Spurs and Palace losses, I almost handed in my application to join the Puel Out mob.

Then I woke up the next day and gave my head a wobble.

However 'bad' it seems to get or however frustrating the performances are, I just think about my mates who follow the likes of Villa, Forest, Ipswich, Derby and Leeds. They'd all give their right arm to swap places and that's enough to keep me smiling. 

Must keep perspective, must keep perspective, must keep perspective.... 

I was doing the same after Palace too. I cooled down a bit after.  We have to have patience I think...

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Cala Bona Fox said:

I think part of the problem is that a lot of people probably can't see the bigger picture. 

Let's be honest, we're not going to win the league again any time soon but our fairy tale in 2016 has perhaps contributed to affect our expectations. It is obvious that our owners realised that the title win was a one off and that continuing to play solely counter attacking football wasn't going to help us progress long term. They are building slowing for the future.

Puel has been given a brief and he is delivering it. Whilst some team selections seem baffling at times it makes sense to try different things when you're not in danger of going down but are not going to challenge the top 2 or 3 either. Would the likes of Chilwell and Hamza have progressed as much if we were fighting to stay up?

Would we swap places with the bottom 5 or 6 having to go for it every game because we need every point. 

I'll take a few seasons of boring middle to top half of the table football whilst the club slowly develop and build a young team capable of challenging in the future.

Out of rep. Very good post. 

... seems like the feel good factor kicked in when we went to 4-3-3, as soon as we went back to 4-2-3-1 we were back to the negative dirge that we have encountered this season. 

Adding a player to give us a midfield three has solidified and compacted the whole team bringing back the thrill we felt in the winning season. 

Playing 4-2-3-1, does not work for us and I hope Puel now confines it to the bin. Just because we play with three in midfield does not mean that we have to sit back and play on the counter. Numerous posters have previously clamoured for, 3-5-2 formation which we could also play. 

He appears to be openly communicating with Vardy, I wonder if there has been an understanding between the two of them as it seems it coincides with the change of formation prior to the Chelsea game. 

He seems to be a manager who when on the verge of the sack pulls a result out the hat but also just when you think we are on a roll we'll lose a game we think we should be winning. It is a young team, we are 7th, will it be enough to keep him in a job? Don't really know, guess it really does depend on what goes on behind the scenes. It would be no shock if he left the day after the season ends but would also not be a shock if he ended up with a new contract!

42 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

I was thinking about this earlier and that’s a little bit unfair. Look at our back 5, arguably our worst performer there this season is Maguire who is probably the most rated. We then have the best striker outside of the top 6 and with all of this it’s fair to say we should be aiming for 7th.

This is what I was saying about being close to something special if he adds the right players (A plan B striker and a quality, creative winger).

If he adds those players yes, but at the moment we are in my opinion right where we should be. You listen to some on here and it genuinely seems as if they expect us to be in the champions league every season. I think we could push to go for 6th if, as you say, we add those players but at the mo we are a bit 1 dimensional in an attacking sense. He’s sorted the defence out no end though really, we have the foundations of a quality outfit. 

I also think Maguire is a bit overrated (not a bad player, not a slight on his ability at all he’s very good), but again he’s not as good as some make out on here. He’s got lots to learn still. That’s a different discussion entirely though. 

46 minutes ago, SheppyFox said:

Hamza is our best CM too at the moment, can’t be coincidence with Puels history of successful youth development :) 

I agree, that Hamza is our best CM at the moment, but why did CP let Hamza not play for 5 months and brought him as recently as in the League Cup for the first time in this season :(

1 minute ago, mucfox said:

I agree, that Hamza is our best CM at the moment, but why did CP let Hamza not play for 5 months and brought him as recently as in the League Cup for the first time in this season :(

I think he could have brought him in sooner, process of elimination maybe, it’s something that’s easy to say with hindsight :) 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Ricey said:

Until home performances and performances against the bottom teams improve and whilst his general mentality errs on the negative side then he will continue to divide opinion and he’ll no doubt continue to be put under pressure.

We are currently regressing in the main area that was his remit was to improve: becoming better at breaking teams down and more effective in possession.

Luckily for him he has dramatically improved our defence of late, which has been a catalyst for the three victories over Christmas, which is keeping the points ticking over.

I wanted him gone after Palace and the three victories don’t change my mind drastically about that, as they were counter attacking game plans. Great wins, for sure, but on the whole they don’t address most of the concerns I have about him.

They do however give him a platform to prove me wrong. He didn’t against Cardiff, but fingers crossed he will against Southampton.

Banish the slow, dull, negative and ineffective performances against teams that won’t let us counter and I’ll gladily become a convert.

Absolutely spot on from my point of view this is.

Puel needs to improve the performances against teams that set up to defend against us. The safety first approach works against the teams that come to attack but fails and fails miserably against the teams that dont. 

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

Always hated this.

I'm a firm believer in 'win as a team' and 'lose as a team'. It's the fundamentals. Yes there may be praise and criticism at any given occasion but you have to be consistent with it! 

You can't not give Puel credit for Chelsea/Man City results, especially. They weren't fluky or lucky results. They were 6 points deservedly gained through good tactics and good personnel choices. Likewise, when we couldn't beat Cardiff, the players didn't give enough and we shouldn't have started with 2 defensive midfielders.

What I can't understand is those who go directly to find the negatives after results like Chelsea/Man City games and after today. It's as if they cannot enjoy a win, at all, just because it may be partly Puel's doing that's helped get the 3 points. I'm sure, sadly, that some fans would rather we lose just to get Puel out. He's building something. Something promising and with so much potential - if that can't be seen with how we've played recently then there's no hope for those fans at all.

I've echoed it several times but we've just got through the busiest part of the season so far by gaining 9 points from 12 and getting up to 7th which, realistically, should be the aim to be the so-called best of the rest. Top 6 would be a bonus but we shouldn't be disappointed by 7th, at all!

fair post...good topic from @mattp , from the beginning of this season,I said another top 10, but with show of improvements....Well we have big improvements,

position we still have to wait for.....Top 7 would be gravy....Plus it's up to us,to make  7th a success not a curse,if somehow it opens Europe to us!!!

I was always A Puel in...I doubt we will see an implosion,that sees us struggling into a shock 14th.

January window Will bring what it brings...no high expectations...,but even now,even with Nacho,I would really like us to invest into 2 strikers in the summer.

Then if we can get rid,of the failed buys,and club considered surplus to requirements squad/loan players,then we automatically can believe expect even,

Some experienced blood being introduced.    Transfer money and released funds for a decent wage offers.

Fans not going crazy...when some players just won't sign for us...!! Plus some will be gagging for a new face this month,especially,if we lose Silva/another.

Depends then what crops up...!!  Puel and squad  has now gave us breathing space,so we can chose,not desperate if we want to wait,until the summer

• Like 1

I'm a bit worried people are reading too much into the Manchester City and Chelsea games, they could have gone either way, we played well in both but we haven't suddenly turned a corner. On balance, we were perhaps a bit unlucky in the Palace and Fulham games conceding with the first shots on target but what should be the bread and butter for us, West Ham, Burnley and Cardiff, all at home, we were poor at worst and mediocre at best. Another caveat is that Christmas is hectic and we've navigated it well but we have to create more chances at home to teams worse than us if we have any serious ambitions.

Cardiff is a prime example, structurally we didn't cause Cardiff any problems and Puel made a like-for-like sub in Vardy for Iheanacho. We were quite safe in possession once again and find;t look to be adventurous enough. It's partly a personnel issue but can you imagine most managers being quite as cagey with our squad? It's certainly not outstanding but it's more than good enough not to shit ourselves at home. As far as I'm aware I don't think I've ever advocated sacking Puel but I cannot help but feel we could be on the verge of a successful season if he just opened up a bit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Manini said:

If he adds those players yes, but at the moment we are in my opinion right where we should be. You listen to some on here and it genuinely seems as if they expect us to be in the champions league every season. I think we could push to go for 6th if, as you say, we add those players but at the mo we are a bit 1 dimensional in an attacking sense. He’s sorted the defence out no end though really, we have the foundations of a quality outfit. 

I also think Maguire is a bit overrated (not a bad player, not a slight on his ability at all he’s very good), but again he’s not as good as some make out on here. He’s got lots to learn still. That’s a different discussion entirely though. 

If people genuinely expect champions league they are deluded but I haven’t seen any of them claims.

People weren’t happy before, myself included, we were 7th and you agree that’s where we should be so that isn’t unreasonable.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Stadt said:

West Ham, Burnley and Cardiff, all at home, we were poor at worst and mediocre at best.  Another caveat is that Christmas is hectic and we've navigated it well but we have to create more chances at home to teams worse than us if we have any serious ambitions.

If you can include the caveat of Christmas being hectic and negotiating it well (which I agree with) then for the Burnley game, the caveat has to be that it's the first game since Vichai's passing. 

I don't think, for fans and players alike, there was much importance about the game itself so it's a bit of a write-off. Obviously would have been nice to win for Vichai given it was the first game, but even if we lost I don't think many would've been that bothered. 

Our squad is definitely the 'best of the rest'. We should be coming 7th this season and if Puel delivers that he should stay.

I would still keep him until the end of the season anyway but so many things about him frustrate me. The football is so boring. I never thought I'd be somebody who moaned about this and I was always happy to take a shit 1-0 win. I guess we've been spoiled and having to sit through some of the games this season has been painful for me.

You can't sack a man who has us 7th in the league but I'm not enjoying following us at the moment.

• Like 1

I criticise the team and Puel and I praise when justified, as I'm a half glass full type of guy and want to continue to improve, and I see alot do the same but there are on both sides of the spectrum that have very blinkered views, it just reminds me of the Brexit debate.

There is no way he is going to get the sack he has shown a way forward against better teams and with the right players he could make us a real force but I also can see us playing some turgid stuff with starting lineups that do t make sense.  Were just going g to have to ride it out.

The issue is not what is going on now as 7th is the best we can do with the team we have, but how will we go with Puel at the helm when we get a few more decent players?

His tactics are very strange at times and I'm not so sure he is the manager capable of getting us into the top 6.

Tiz all bollox Finn.  The only people who matter in this are those who own the club.  They sacked the manager who won the Premier League.  They sacked his successor.  If they don't rate Puel, they will sack him.  All these posts have no value.  We don't have a say in who is appointed manager any more than we have in who is bought and put in the team.  All I know is we don't often win at Stamford Bridge or Goodison, and compared to last season's home match against Man City, all I can say is, well done team and management.  Stop thinking our individual, or even collective, opinions add up to anything significant.  Just thank goodness we are not owned by Mike Ashley.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, bfox said:

Lets be honest, a couple more performances like cardiff and youll be screaming out again. In reality, hes done a fairly decent job. Hes found a winning formula against the big 6 and playing away from home. Hes been here a while and yet to find something which works against lesser teams and hasnt got us playing good football at home. And lets be honest there is little difference in points from 6-14 at the moment. Theres isnt just an in/out mob , there exists an in between!

Hear hear, we need more inclusivity for the in-betweeners!

As others said already I also think there's too much vitriol between the supporters... and you can sense the urge Puel Inners have to rub it in, even in match threads. And it goes the other way too obviously, when Puel Outers smell the blood after a loss.

Some are calling others fickle (in being Puel Out/In) but the very nature of the game is fickle. One week we are 7th next week we can be 11th and a week later 7th again. It's actually funny when someone says 'I've been 100% Puel Out/In since.... (that game/last season/king Richard/crusades etc). As if only being longtime Puel In/Out made you a genuine Puel Inner/Outer (and if you're not that, then you must be a plastic Puel Outer/Inner, right lol). It's okay to be fickle about this, I think it's not unnatural. One week you get bummed by Cardiff at home and you feel very bad afterwards, but then next week we win at Everton and you suddenly feel much better. Is it strange? Is it being disgenuous? No, it's being human, and that's just how football works. The situation changes dynamically every few days, and what was said last season/month/last week even - doesn't have to be valid/ actual today.

I guess what I'm trying to say is we should aim to be more understanding towards each other, less patronizing, and having a dig at each other less maybe. After all we are the same Leicester family.

Even when someone (like Ftfagos'es cousin) says he wants us to lose (which is very hard to grasp indeed) it's not because he doesn't care about us or wants us to fail - quite the contrary, he cares about us as strongly as any supporter, it's just that he has his *special* way of seeing things and puelball evokes particularly strong emotions in him. Every supporter feels and sees things differently and there's no golden rulebook of being one.

Happy new year you special ****s :scarf:  

Edited by Chester Dontlie
  • Thanks 1