Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Puel 'Facing the sack' - reports

1 minute ago, Ricey said:

This is annoying me too. Yes we are 7th. That's a good position, but people are using it as an argument to end to the discussion. By the end of today we could be 9th and over the next few weeks we will no doubt float around between 7th and 13th.

Watford need to win by 3 goals to catch up with us on goal difference and they are 3 points behind us

We are probably 7th/8th by the end of today

7th place after round 21 (not all games played)...

2018-2019 31pts

2017-2018 34pts

2016-2017 33pts

2015-2016 32pts

2014-2015 33pts

2013-2014 37pts  (Man U)

2012-2013 33pts

2011-2012 35pts (Liverpool)

2010-2011 30pts

2009-2010 36pts (Liverpool)

2008-2009 30pts

Now whilst it might be a point or two lower than normal, it's in the ball park. When you're talking about the fact a missed pen against Cardiff cost us having the highest points total for 7th at this stage for 5 years. Especially when you consider the top 5 have way more points than usual at this stage.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

Watford need to win by 3 goals to catch up with us on goal difference and they are 3 points behind us

We are probably 7th/8th by the end of today

...which is why I said "could".

1 minute ago, The Doctor said:

But by the same logic you can say it's often bad luck where we haven't got results. You can say "oh, Chelsea hit the bar and Aguero skied one from six yards, lucky we took 6 points rather than 2" but for every example like that there's a "Vardy had a tap in cleared off the line vs Burnley and Iheanacho missed a 1v1 at Fulham, we were unlucky to only take 2 points rather than 6 for those games". Or is it poor finishing when we do it, but good luck when others do it against us?

Perhaps it's the way I look at games and how I judge performances, I won't celebrate winning a penalty until it's buried in the back of the net but I do look at facts. Man City we deserved the win and were more effective. Chelsea didn't take their chances and we won, but we were far from the clear winners.

Against Cardiff we failed to score or dominate and Everton... well clearly both teams had been on the pop the night before, we just took our chances.

12 hours ago, Bunyip said:

As a concierge of the Puel out mob, I hereby declare that I can't argue with the points garnered over the Christmas period and I'm very happy to say that it looks like I was wrong.   

15492251_980882238710893_2567648474450638151_n.jpg

A caretaker? :huh:

Are you sure?

12 hours ago, Bunyip said:

As a concierge of the Puel out mob, I hereby declare that I can't argue with the points garnered over the Christmas period and I'm very happy to say that it looks like I was wrong.   

15492251_980882238710893_2567648474450638151_n.jpg

Thats a respectable about face, Bunyip.

I remember at the start of the season I made a promise to include a quote of yours at the foot of posts predicting Puel's failure should we have a decent season

We're getting dangerously close to that reality

Dont suppose you can remember what it was?

27 minutes ago, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

Thats a respectable about face, Bunyip.

I remember at the start of the season I made a promise to include a quote of yours at the foot of posts predicting Puel's failure should we have a decent season

We're getting dangerously close to that reality

Dont suppose you can remember what it was?

I can't even remember what I said yesterday and I've got more faces than Big Ben, So don't be surprised if I turn as quick as an old bottle of Milk if it swings the other way. The thing is I have a good grip of perspective and never for one moment take anything on here seriously. It's a distraction a bagatelle a trifle, in which I indulge my warped sense of humour, nothing more nothing less. Having said that I do love my club and it plays a big part in my life and as such, I really enjoy this site and all who post on it. Happy new year to you all, and especially to you alluverderfloor.

Edited by Bunyip
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Rusko187 said:

Perhaps it's the way I look at games and how I judge performances, I won't celebrate winning a penalty until it's buried in the back of the net but I do look at facts. Man City we deserved the win and were more effective. Chelsea didn't take their chances and we won, but we were far from the clear winners.

Against Cardiff we failed to score or dominate and Everton... well clearly both teams had been on the pop the night before, we just took our chances.

:crylaugh:....:crylaugh:......because that's football...simples..!!

We accept we are middle of the table team....gracefully....ambition is a positive thing,but gets in the way of reality...

We can all point to should of and could ofs....but season in season out this guy ...:devil: gets in the way....

I reckon when we lost to cardiff,the pain through the fan-base was massive.....but the real-old-codgers....after swearing through their festive mince-pies,

Just knew....another day and moment is always just around the corner......We just love losing the easy games....134+ years of funny laughable painstaking

Heart-wrenching tradition!!!    Luv...it!!!!

18 minutes ago, Bunyip said:

I can't even remember what I said yesterday and I've got more faces than Big Ben, So don't be surprised if I turn as quick as an old bottle of Milk if it swings the other way. The thing is I have a good grip of perspective and never for one moment take anything on here seriously. It's a distraction a bagatelle a trifle, in which I indulge my warped sense of humour, nothing more nothing less. Having said that I do love my club and it plays a big part in my life and as such, I really enjoy this site and all who post on it. Happy new year to you all, and especially to you alluverderfloor.

Same to you Bunyip :scarf:

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

But by the same logic you can say it's often bad luck where we haven't got results. You can say "oh, Chelsea hit the bar and Aguero skied one from six yards, lucky we took 6 points rather than 2" but for every example like that there's a "Vardy had a tap in cleared off the line vs Burnley and Iheanacho missed a 1v1 at Fulham, we were unlucky to only take 2 points rather than 6 for those games". Or is it poor finishing when we do it, but good luck when others do it against us?

Whilst I do agree you don’t and can’t expect a striker to score with every chance against Burnley, Fulham, Cardiff we didn’t create enough good chances and we offered up too many good chances for the opposition. It is the same every time we play 4231 and try to dominate the game with possession based passing football. 

We we are so slow in possession that the defence is set and so poor in possession we gift the opposition chances in good positions. We did it week after week with no attempt from Puel to correct the underlying flaw in his approach. Persisting with Ndidi in the 4231 is madness, seeing the same mistakes every game is what makes me think Puel isn’t up to it. Ndidi giving the ball away, Schmeichel booting the ball over Chilwell’s head, taking 15 sideways passes before knocking it back to Schmeichel or Morgan to launch it forwards, pointless crosses into Vardy, sitting back on the edge of the area while someone has a pop at goal under no pressure. It’s the same thing every week. We find a formation that deals with Chelsea and Man City and switch it back to drab 4231 dropping Hamza for Cardiff and promptly go back to the same mistakes that have cost us so many points against weaker teams.

The problem comes down to this, Puel’s 4231 possession based passing football exposes every weakness our players have; composure, passing, intelligence and minimises their strengths; speed, instinct, graft. I don’t blame Puel for believing he can mould these players into Puel-ballers but it has been a year now and Ndidi, Morgan, Schmeichel, Vardy, Albrighton are never going to be those players and thrive playing this football.

I don’t want Puel to be sacked, I want him to succeed, but I don’t see it happening without spending a ton of money on amazing players or a significant change in approach. This 433 with 9 points from 9 is a good start, but if we go back to 4231 vs Southampton then I will despair.

• Like 2

I'm very torn at the moment about Puel.

7th in the League and wins against Man City, Chelsea and Everton on paper makes it look as if everything is going really well and there are no issues. I can also see the point of a lot of people using this as a defence for Puel because as 'little' Leicester we shouldn't be expecting more than this. Whilst I agree in principle that currently 7th position is a great position to be in and we shouldn't 'expect' to be in that position but I feel with how the season is panning out and how some of the other teams are massively under performing too it feels like there has been an opportunity to push on beyond 7th and aim higher. As a fan i'm hopeful and optimistic and would love to see the team push on and go as high as they can go because on paper the potential really is there. At the minute however I can't help but feel that there has been a series of missed opportunities this season to really push on and it does leave me feeling slightly disappointed.

As for the positives Puel has shifted out some of the deadwood that was brought in and has replaced them with some really exciting players - how much of this completely is down to him, I don't know. However he can probably take full credit for Ricardo who has been our signing of the season. There has been a noticable improvement on the signings made under his watch however with the focus on youth and potential.

There is a long term vision in place that we didn't have before, at least not since Pearson. Youth is being given a chance and players like Chilwell and Hamza have come on massively. Maddison is developing pretty well and Gray is showing some signs of improvement.

League position is another positive, can't really complain too much about being 7th just over the halfway stage in the season.

The negatives for Puel mainly focus around the style of play and the tactical decisions.

The style of play for me personally is too negative. He runs Mourinho very close for the biggest safety first manager in the Prem this year. Even against opposition that come to defend against us he sets us up with 2 holding midfielders and 1 striker. The style of play is too patient and too negative. Too often we look static and there is no forward movement because the players seem afraid to take the chance, more often than not the safest option is taken when we have the ball and how many times this season have we seen the players get to the edge of the opposition 18 yard box only to pass the ball all the way back to Kasper giving the other team a chance to breathe and reset? I'm not asking we counter attack against every team because it won't work against every team but a little more intensity and putting them under a little more pressure won't hurt? We seem to give these teams an out every single time, they won't waste as much energy against us because we aren't putting them under pressure. All they have to do is hold their line and we'll pass it backwards and give them a breather. Also this just makes us horrible to watch because there is no intent to commit forwards and attack properly - the game plan always appears to be keep it tight and nick it, even against teams that come to defend. Its been a long time since we really blew a team away with an attacking performance and the team certainly has the attacking talent to do that.

Tactically until recently he has been very rigid with his belief in the 4231 system. He seems to have stumbled on a 433 that works against teams that come to attack but I believe that this is only successful because of the players natural inclinations towards counter attacking football. When he reverts to the 4231 system there is no consistency to the 4 options at the front, he's always chopping and changing even if there has been injuries or not and hasn't given them time to gel and find a rhythm in this new system. The reason why Mahrez, Drinkwater and Vardy played so well together is because they were given time to get used to each other on the pitch. A little consistency with team selections goes a long way in terms of giving players belief and also learning each others strengths.

I'm not going to use the transfer situation as a stick to beat him with. I will say however that we are short of attacking quality in depth and also our CM options are too similar to each other and we are desperate for a player that can drive forwards from CM. I don't know what the situation is with transfers but i'm hoping Puel recognises this and has the sense to push forwards with adding players to these areas.

I feel that if he just dropped the safety first approach and really let the team attack teams that come to defend the situation wouldnt be as bad as it is now. People are frustrated because we aren't getting the best results against those teams and you can accept defeat a lot easier if the team really had a go against these teams. At the minute we just seem too scared of losing ourselves to really commit and thats what is really winding people up, its a real sense of a missed opportunity because you will always be left wondering 'what if we just attacked them?'

He's earned until the end of the season at least. I hope he does something this window and brings in some quality in the positions that we need. I can just about understand the safety first approach if you are worried that you don't have the players but now he has the chance to add to the squad and push on for a good finish.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Captain... said:

Whilst I do agree you don’t and can’t expect a striker to score with every chance against Burnley, Fulham, Cardiff we didn’t create enough good chances and we offered up too many good chances for the opposition. It is the same every time we play 4231 and try to dominate the game with possession based passing football. 

We we are so slow in possession that the defence is set and so poor in possession we gift the opposition chances in good positions. We did it week after week with no attempt from Puel to correct the underlying flaw in his approach. Persisting with Ndidi in the 4231 is madness, seeing the same mistakes every game is what makes me think Puel isn’t up to it. Ndidi giving the ball away, Schmeichel booting the ball over Chilwell’s head, taking 15 sideways passes before knocking it back to Schmeichel or Morgan to launch it forwards, pointless crosses into Vardy, sitting back on the edge of the area while someone has a pop at goal under no pressure. It’s the same thing every week. We find a formation that deals with Chelsea and Man City and switch it back to drab 4231 dropping Hamza for Cardiff and promptly go back to the same mistakes that have cost us so many points against weaker teams.

The problem comes down to this, Puel’s 4231 possession based passing football exposes every weakness our players have; composure, passing, intelligence and minimises their strengths; speed, instinct, graft. I don’t blame Puel for believing he can mould these players into Puel-ballers but it has been a year now and Ndidi, Morgan, Schmeichel, Vardy, Albrighton are never going to be those players and thrive playing this football.

I don’t want Puel to be sacked, I want him to succeed, but I don’t see it happening without spending a ton of money on amazing players or a significant change in approach. This 433 with 9 points from 9 is a good start, but if we go back to 4231 vs Southampton then I will despair.

This is exactly my view, if he recognises 4-2-3-1 doesn't work and changes his approach then that's more than enough evidence to me that shows he can adapt and perhaps has a future.

Time will tell for me, if he reverts back to 4-2-3-1 against than it suggests he's arrogant and it's very much "my way or the highway", continue with the winning formula and I will be happy and am sure a lot others will be too. That simple!

1 hour ago, Bunyip said:

happy New year wabbit.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Babylon said:

Do you think we actually reverted to a different style? The only difference was again an opposition that won't let us counter, they keep plenty back and play deep.

Yes, we are absolutely not good enough against those sorts of teams. But that is exactly what Puel is trying to address when he says he wants us to have multiple styles of play. People seem to have deluded themselves into thinking the quick ball forward stuff against all opposition was still working, it wasn't.

We've not cracked it yet, but that could take some some better technical attacking players to achieve. I have my doubts the better players on their own will sort the problem, because we're not seeing a huge amount of passing and moving to create ourselves space and that's coaching. But he's done enough to be given the time to get those players in to try and solve the problem.

Even  blind man can see the 4-3-3 deeper block as opposed to the painfully slow 4-2-3-1 build up is like comparing Stork and Butter. I've been to every one of the recent games and, Cardiff apart, it was like a breath of fresh air. Even when he's adjusted things tactically the ball has been played forwards quicker. Don't know about yourself Babs but maybe TV and streams just don't show it as obviously as being at the games. I look forward to Puel keeping the system even for teams that drop deeper. It's not as if his repeated 4-2-3-1 crab style has had much success is it? 

Edited by l444ry
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, l444ry said:

Even  blind man can see the 4-3-3 deeper block as opposed to the painfully slow 4-2-3-1 build up. 

Because we don't have the ball as much in those games. The other team comes onto us and there is space to attack if teams leave it, unlike against the smaller teams who don't.

There has been no change of philosophy, this is no different to what's been happening for 14 months. Vardy has continued to have a good record against the better teams and finds it harder against the smaller ones who don't attack. Hence why generally our better play has come against the better teams who we can counter.

Countering defensive teams does not work, it stopped working before Puel arrived and it continues to be a struggle against them now.

• Like 2