Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Koke

Is this team even that good?

49 minutes ago, Izzy said:

And realistically, we should be delighted with that.

For years we've been a 'yo-yo' club desperately trying to cement our place in the PL. And here we are doing just that yet some are still not happy.

We'll never be a 'big club' or compete with the top 6 on a regular basis. We're not a big enough City/catchment and although our owners are rich, they're not in the same rich league as the big boys.

If we can consistently try to be 'the best of the rest' that's as good as is gonna get. We've got no divine right to finish 7th anyway as Everton, West Ham and others will also be after that spot.

Our squad is decent and probably the best we've ever had. We're spending money and paying decent wages and the clubs in a stable financial position.

We've never had it so good and it can soon turn to rat shit overnight as we've seen before. Gotta enjoy the good times really...

Agree with most of this except the “we will never be a big club” comment.

are you prepared for let’s say the next 10 years to be a 7-10th place club? 

Man City and Chelsea not so long ago were averaging 30-35k and regular mid table premier league teams. What’s to stop us aiming high?

yes they are in big cities, but sharing catchment with other local big clubs, whereas we have a whole county to ourselves.

In my opinion we need to aim high and get away from a small club mentality, without becoming OTT and expecting instant success.

Edited by turkish14
  • Like 4

Just now, turkish14 said:

Agree with mist of this except the “we will never be a big club” comment.

Man City and Chelsea not so long ago were averaging 30-35k and regular mid table premier league teams. What’s to stop us aiming high?

yea they are in big cities, but sharing catchment with other local big clubs.

You know the draw that the likes of these places has on potential signings though. The Midlands sadly is a desirable place for these megastars

1 minute ago, turkish14 said:

Agree with mist of this except the “we will never be a big club” comment.

yea they are in big cities, but sharing catchment with other local big clubs.

Well, the short answer is money.

We'll never attract the very best players because we just can't afford their wages. 

Just now, foxfanazer said:

You know the draw that the likes of these places has on potential signings though. The Midlands sadly is a desirable place for these megastars

Fair point, and I think this would play a part to some players. 

Don’t most of our players already commute from the north west, and in the last from London’s way?

1 minute ago, Izzy said:

Well, the short answer is money.

We'll never attract the very best players because we just can't afford their wages. 

Chelsea couldn’t until Roman came in, likewise the same at Man City. Depends on the wealth of top and weather he is prepared to throw the same kinda money.

1 minute ago, turkish14 said:

Fair point, and I think this would play a part to some players. 

Don’t most of our players already commute from the north west, and in the last from London’s way?

There may be some. In all honesty other than Vardy I'm not sure where our players live

4 minutes ago, turkish14 said:

Chelsea couldn’t until Roman came in, likewise the same at Man City. Depends on the wealth of top and weather he is prepared to throw the same kinda money.

This might sound odd but I don't want us to do it like that. I know we've not exactly been sparing with our money but I like the gradual approach. Like the title win for instance felt so much better against the odds rather than if we'd just chucked a load of cash at it. I watch Man City now and I wonder if the buzz is the same for their fans as it used to be. Ok they're seeing wonderful football most weeks but no win is a real surprise.

Of course if we want to break into that top 4/6 on a regular basis we're gonna have to spend big but I'd rather we have a different plan and try to do it in a more organic way

Pretty sure many won't agree with me lol

Edited by foxfanazer
  • Thanks 1

There may be some. In all honesty other than Vardy I'm not sure where our players live

It can be done. I’m sure I read that Mahrez lived in London. Kasper in Lancashire/Cheshire way.

guess it depends on what the players view as hassle and convenience. Equally there will be players that will prefer the peace of the countryside then city life. 

So though not to dismiss the notion that we are not attractive due to location, I think it’s more balanced personally.

my initial view still stands that if we are prepared to just take 7th-mid table every season based on our history, then to me that’s quite dull.

2 minutes ago, turkish14 said:

Abramovic is worth at least 3 times what King Power is and Sheikh Mansor about 6 times as much. Plus Chelsea and Man City generate more revenue from other streams than we do. Plus players would rather live in Manchester or London than Leicester etc, etc..

This might sound odd but I don't want us to do it like that. I know we've not exactly been sparing with our money but I like the gradual approach. Like the title win for instance felt so much better against the odds rather than if we'd just chucked a load of cash at it. I watch Man City now and I wonder if the buzz is the same for their fans as it used to be. Ok they're seeing wonderful football most weeks but no win is a real surprise.

Of course if we want to break into that top 4/6 on a regular basis we're gonna have to spend big but I'd rather we have a different plan and try to do it in a more organic way

Pretty sure many won't agree with me lol

Yeah agree, I think a more steady approach is best. Which I guess means if we finish higher than 9th this season were on the up ?but longer term top 6 we need to aim for as hard as that will be.

Just now, turkish14 said:

It can be done. I’m sure I read that Mahrez lived in London. Kasper in Lancashire/Cheshire way.

guess it depends on what the players view as hassle and convenience. Equally there will be players that will prefer the peace of the countryside then city life. 

So though not to dismiss the notion that we are not attractive due to location, I think it’s more balanced personally.

my initial view still stands that if we are prepared to just take 7th-mid table every season based on our history, then to me that’s quite dull.

Yeah you may be right. I'd quite like the majority of our players to buy into the city as well as the club but that's just a pipe dream. I'm sure the buzz around Leicester during the 15/16 had some sort of impact

• Like 1

1 minute ago, foxfanazer said:

Yeah you may be right. I'd quite like the majority of our players to buy into the city as well as the club but that's just a pipe dream. I'm sure the buzz around Leicester during the 15/16 had some sort of impact

Gone are the days of players living in Tudor road and winstanley drive (the one exception these days being Vicente Iborra ?)

2 minutes ago, turkish14 said:

Gone are the days of players living in Tudor road and winstanley drive (the one exception these days being Vicente Iborra ?)

Saffron lane I believe lol

Iwan Roberts and Julian Joachim also lived in some Leicester council flats

I'm not suggesting they live in a 2 bed in Beaumont Leys but there are some lovely places in Leicestershire

Edited by foxfanazer

4 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Abramovic is worth at least 3 times what King Power is and Sheikh Mansor about 6 times as much. Plus Chelsea and Man City generate more revenue from other streams than we do. Plus players would rather live in Manchester or London than Leicester etc, etc..

Wasn’t aware of the disparancy in wealth between king power and roman or sheik mansour. Obviously that plays a big part.

but if we except we can’t compete, then would you accept 7th every season behind the “big 6”? 

This season I would, and I think had we not won the league in recent times the majority would accept 7th every season.

But does the league win change that? 

I've said all season on here, we're nothing more than an inconsistent mid table team, we'll see good, we'll see bad.

We have a talented enough squad but we have a lot of players that are developing, it will take time and for that reason that's why we should stick with Puel for the time being, he is bringing through the youth and that's only a positive thing.

The teams around us are exactly like us, very inconsistent. We moan but I'm sure there's been many times this season where the fans of Wolves, Watford, West Ham, Everton and Bournemouth have moaned too, right now we are the best of that bunch.

We could easily finish 7th, we could easily finish 12th, that's the current level of our team.

People on here are claiming insider knowledge of the wealth of our owners versus other clubs without any evidence. They’re just guessing or have a perception.

I do know Vichai was a billionaire so while we’re not Man City we’re fairly rich. I also know the owners aspire to be in the top 4 so they seem to have more ambition than many of our fans. I suspect some fans will simply retort that they’re just being realistic but I honestly believe it’s not out of the question to enter the ranks of the big clubs, at least for a few seasons. 

1 hour ago, Koke said:

One of the reasons for the huge divisiveness amongst the fan base is due to how good this squad is perceived to be.

This team isn't good enough nor consistent enough to get 6th. Manchester United have picked up recently and will likely finish 6th.

Maybe we are where we are supposed to be, 7th-10th? 

You expected us to get 6th, after finishing 9th last season, 12th the season before, during that time we also sold 3 of our best players in Mahrez, Drinkwater and Kante to top 6 clubs?

8 minutes ago, kingfox said:

I've said all season on here, we're nothing more than an inconsistent mid table team, we'll see good, we'll see bad.

We have a talented enough squad but we have a lot of players that are developing, it will take time and for that reason that's why we should stick with Puel for the time being, he is bringing through the youth and that's only a positive thing.

The teams around us are exactly like us, very inconsistent. We moan but I'm sure there's been many times this season where the fans of Wolves, Watford, West Ham, Everton and Bournemouth have moaned too, right now we are the best of that bunch.

We could easily finish 7th, we could easily finish 12th, that's the current level of our team.

We are definitely the best moaners out of that bunch.. 

Nice to be the best at something I suppose! 

3 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

You expected us to get 6th, after finishing 9th last season, 12th the season before, during that time we also sold 3 of our best players in Mahrez, Drinkwater and Kante to top 6 clubs?

He says 7-10th, and used the word “maybe”

yes we we have lost 3 class players, but I don’t think that’s what’s missing this season per se. Nor do I see those players as the reason we won’t finish (for example) 7th. 

Its more I think to do with consistency not just with us but with other clubs.

34 minutes ago, turkish14 said:

Agree with most of this except the “we will never be a big club” comment.

yes they are in big cities, but sharing catchment with other local big clubs, whereas we have a whole county to ourselves.

In my opinion we need to aim high and get away from a small club mentality, without becoming OTT and expecting instant success.

You do realise Man City spent 1.5 Billion in ten years to get where they are, AND Chelsea has spent 1.7 Billion on players since the conception of the PL.

9 minutes ago, Realist Guy In The Room said:

League position wise, there’s about 5 teams including us that can finish anywhere between 7th and 12th and that largely comes down to several factors.  I think the majority of the fans accept that. Where the split is coming amongst the fans is, there are a section (Puel out) that want to see better more entertaining football so are in favour of a change.  The change is in the hope of better football, not necessarily to guarantee a better league position.  The other section of fans (Puel in), want to remain loyal to the manager because the league position is stable.

Neither position is wrong or unreasonable.

Only part of the reasoning for me. The other major factor is that we are necessarily in transition style wise, and personel, bringing through younger players. Puel has to take some credit for that. The league stability should allow us too to enable that more effectively. 

Aside from that, I am not too bothered about a Europa League place if it means a crap summer and early start that messes up next season's preparations. Others may disagree. 

6 minutes ago, turkish14 said:

He says 7-10th, and used the word “maybe”

yes we we have lost 3 class players, but I don’t think that’s what’s missing this season per se. Nor do I see those players as the reason we won’t finish (for example) 7th. 

Its more I think to do with consistency not just with us but with other clubs.

All club who finish between 7th or 10th are inconsistent, if the were consistent, they would finish higher.

44 minutes ago, Izzy said:

This is why a business model based on developing youngsters is so important.

• Like 2

The defence is good. The defensive midfielders are good defensively. We're getting a little better at keeping the ball.

But poor midfield linkup play. And the attack falls under "isn't that good" except for Maddison (when he's not taking penalties) and Vardy.

A team that could get 7th but for anything higher we'd need magic dust to make Hamza or Ndidi become a box-to-box midfielder and to make Barnes instantly Premier League level.