Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BenTheFox

Who is our worst value for money signing ever?

Silva, probably.

Farce of a transfer to begin with, and he's offered pretty much nothing whenever he's played. Has he ever had a truly good game for us? And now we're trying to get rid of him, but after giving him a good wage when he signed we're going to have to make concessions on the fee for someone to take him.

Not his fault, but it's been disastrous on all counts.

Slimani also worth a shout given how the fee went up because we messed about when signing him, but at least he's had a couple goals and got us a loan fee out of Newcastle.

Darren Eadie must be among them?

Think we paid £3-£4m for him – definitely a club record at the time – but he never really featured. Not entirely his fault, as he spent most of the time injured, of course. But from a business point of view, definitely didn't offer us the return we had hoped. 

Has to be Silva base don the size of the fee versus his contribution, although I don't hold him wholly blame him for it.

Matt Mills, at the time for a Championship side, was a very expensive signing and a big part of our investment and he really struggled during his time here

Silva, disastrous all around. At least we got some mileage out of Slimani and never really played to his strengths. Silva has never really looked any good for us, we’ll struggle to get half the money back and he’s at the wrong age.

We've got a terrible record when it comes to record transfers going back to Roger Davies who was I believe a club record transfer in 1977 and was utterly hopeless.

Matt Mills was terrible.

Of the current crop Slimani has been a terrible purchase but the accolade sadly goes to Silva.

You know what it’s still hard to look past Akinbiyi despite the recent ****ups (Slim, Musa, Silva etc). 5mill in those days is worth about 25-30 in this market surely. 

Also Matt Mills for me was ridiculous. 5mill in the championship on an average defender. At the time 5mill could have got you atleast 5 solid players for that level. 

• Like 1

Akinbiyi was perfectly decent (not special, but decent) in his first season and scored 9 goals. It was his 2nd season he was shit.

He doesn't belong in this discussion alongside Silva, Musa or Iheanacho, who were always shit.

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 1

Just now, Sampson said:

Akinbiyi was perfectly decent (not special, but decent) in his first season and scored 9 goals. It was his 2nd season he was shit.

He doesn't belong in this discussion alongside Silva, Musa or Iheanacho, who were always shit.

I guess the reason why Akinbiyi features is because he was the record signing at a time when we didn't have anywhere near the resources we have now.

• Like 1

Musa has to be right up there for me. There was so much anticipation that was only fuelled by his goal against Barcelona. But I can honestly say every time I saw him play I was amazed in a bad way. A truly awful footballer in my opinion (at least in an lcfc shirt). I guess the scouting team must have seen something in him, so I do wonder what went wrong. He did well at CSKA and even for Nigeria in the World Cup, so who knows.  

Edited by rn9013