Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BenTheFox

Who is our worst value for money signing ever?

6 hours ago, 49er said:

Tommy English. No fee involved but he was swapped for Melrose. Stepped down to Division Two with a record of being a young goalscorer in the top flight. Complete disaster - ended up playing left midfield

Yes and to compound that I heard we had a choice of English or Mark Hateley, we chose wrong ?

11 hours ago, Sampson said:

Didn't we also spend like £8mil on Kaputska and then he never played.

Danny Ward, although is a good back up, was also extortionate money for a back up goalkeeper.

Christ sake, he’s 25, he’s an under study with great potential and could well spend the next ten years at the club and he cost what 12 million?

Give the thread title another read man!

Kalac under McGhee. It wasn't a record transfer but it was hefty fee by second tier standards. Fenton and Gunnlaugsson from the O'Neill era. You could argue Eadie too, though he looked the part before his injury.

Akinbiyi, Wise and to a lesser extent Jones from the Taylor era. Some of his other big signings were, to a limited extent, useful - Rowett, Davidson, even poor old Benjamin played his part in promotion in 2003 - whereas his budget buys were truly awful, and often given way too much game-time. Lewis and Marshall are the obvious examples, but it's hard to call them bad value for money.

And from that point all the way to Mandaric, our many awful signings cost us next to nothing.

Of the Mandaric and post-Mandaric era, I'd say Clemence, Campbell, Mills, Beckford, Slimani, Silva and Kapustka stand out as relatively large fees paid for little return. I'll leave Kramaric and Musa off the list because we at least recouped the money.

Iheanacho and Ghezzal will obviously end up falling into that category too if things don't pick up.

For every appalling waste of money, though, we can name 2 or 3 incredible bargains, in the 90s and the past decade at least. Not every club can say that, I suspect.

I don’t think players that play for us now can be classed as our worst value signing ever. Nacho may turn out a good buy eventually, I thought Mendy was a gonna now he plays every week.

I think it has to be some of the guys from just before we went into admin. Matty Jones springs to mind, hefty fee big wages and basically injured straight away 

5 hours ago, Suffolk exile said:

Gokhan Inler has to be up there?

Silva cost a hell of a lot more and is probably on similar if not more per week. He has done absolutely nothing.

Nothing against the bloke but he’s had zero impact bar highlight our inept transfer dealings with the 14sec debacle.