Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BenTheFox

Who is our worst value for money signing ever?

Depends on the criteria: Matt Jones has to be up there, injuries scuppered his career but we spent 3.5m and 4 years wages on him and got virtually no return.

A lot of the players mentioned were at least available to play for example Benny, who has been playing his part in the development leagues, and most have been sold for some money. Akinbiyi I was sold for 2.2m and contributed a few goals in his time. Slimani scored the goal to beat Porto. Musa was a poor signing but did score a couple and we sold him on for decent money.

Matt Mills is another consideration 5m played half a season got sent off twice in the process pissed off manager and dressing room and was paid off to go to Bolton IIRC.

Ultimatley it will most likely end up being Silva, the 14 seconds was not his fault, but since being available he has been terrible, depending on how much we can claw back on selling him I think his transfer will be the one of the biggest balls up by any club ever.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Heathrow fox said:

We aren’t the only ones who have squandered millions,it goes with the territory.The amount clubs have squandered on players in the last 25 years,and all these flops nearly always end up in Turkey.

Better known as the saxo flops! 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

Akinbiyi looks terrible because we played through him with such a creative midfield. He missed so many sitters. 

However he scored eleven in his first premier league season and we recouped half the money. Not the very worst. 

It was nine. My mistake. 

15 minutes ago, Post Horn Galloper said:

And Lee Marshall - in fact Peter Taylor had a virtual tearful of dud signings

But we sold Lee Marshall for the same as we paid for him, so in terms of value for money he offered little but cost us little so comes out evens.

it’s silva by a distance. he’s literally never played well for us, couldn’t even play at all for us for half of his first season and cost us fu cking loads. 

kaputska is a great shout tho, he has literally made what, one start? and cost us nearly 10 mill didn’t he? quite remarkable when you think about it. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, foxile5 said:

Akinbiyi looks terrible because we played through him with such a creative midfield. He missed so many sitters. 

However he scored eleven in his first premier league season and we recouped half the money. Not the very worst. 

I dunno how true it was, but I vaguely recall reading/hearing that he was quite a nice fella and struggled horribly with nerves and self doubt.

That's the narrative in my head anyway.

He was useless. But he tried too hard and things got worse, the team struggled, the manager was beyond bad, the crowd turned on him but he did at least get us the occasional win. Sunderland!

Jones just beats Silva for me.

As for Silva, well. The guy has contributed absolute zero. It's not possible to have done less. It's been a hideous transfer and the scouts who recommended him.should be strung up. It took me all of five seconds, trotting on for the last five v Huddersfield, to realise he was too weak. I turned to my Dad at that match as he came on and pulled a face as if to say, blimey...we've got a problem here.

Matt Jones was detestable. Looked evey inch the star footballer, the looks, the hair. He acted the part of flash footballer But I remember I was pleased he was permanently injured, he was that bad.  Dave Bassett tore into him after his umpteenth dispossession in midfield whilst dawdling (he excelled at that) that directly led to a goal. Bassett said he'd never make that mistake again - with the not-so-subtle meaning that he'd never play for us again

Guest Cujek
5 hours ago, Lambert09 said:

Dennis Wise for free is still our worst value signing 

This guy almost brought the club down, on his own.

Struggling to see past Silva. Even the dreadful Slim contributed a few goals that meant something. Silva has literally had zero impact or influence and cost a fortune - virtually none of which we will recover. An appalling piece of business all round, as it stands. 

Our transfer policy really baffles me, take Silva for example after that entire farce we just decide not to use him. Ihaenacho we sign a promising young player for a decent fee then we just dump him on the bench and we have the nerve to sit on here and question why it hasn't worked out for him. I genuinely don't see a bad player when I see him play, I see a player that is completely devoid of any confidence playing in a system that doesn't compliment him at all. The same goes for slimani and kramaric. What was the point in us even signing them 

• Like 2

Would have to be silva .Slimani scored goals which took us so far into champions league , enabled us to receive a larger chunk from England’s pot. 

Silva has been a disaster, from start to finish. Nacho looking very similar atm also ... mentions to Matt mills

Matt Jones

ade akinbadbuy

I think Silva edges it as I do have some sympathy with the strikers as they have never really been able to properly get going with Vardy being our main man. We would have been better signing players for less money who are happier to play second fiddle. Silva was unlucky that Claude didn't sign him but he should really have been able to beat out Mendy and James for a place in our side.

• Like 1