Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BenTheFox

Who is our worst value for money signing ever?

3 hours ago, willie-bell-in-rothley said:

Slimaenacho, put together wouldnt be any good  :protest:

They'd be fuching brilliant. A great strong aeriel threat, Quick. Hm.. Thats bout it. Can't get the ball out from under their feet but can score crackers from 20 yards?

On 07/01/2019 at 17:36, demon_dog said:

As someone mentioned depends on what era you look at.

For me Ade Akinbadbuy

However one could always say Musa or Icheanacho.............etc.

It all depends on your age and how long you've been watching city.

Im surprised Roger Davies hasnt been mentioned but as stated probablly my age

.t 

It's got to be Silva sadly. It's sad that we've got probably 4/5 contenders for this in the last three years. Some of the older generation may be able to apply relative fees in the time period but we have gotten very complacent with our money and I'd like to think we're learning from it.

Silva because of everything really, not just the farce that involved getting him signed but just how much of a bit-part player he's been during his time here.

3 hours ago, Foxaholic ME said:

Im surprised Roger Davies hasnt been mentioned but as stated probablly my age

.t 

Poor old Rodge - at least he had a sense of humour about it. Recall him observing 'Only I could have missed that!'  while reviewing one of his (many) mishaps on 'The Big Match'

God, he was useless!

A few spring to mind:

1 million for Jamie Vardy. Barely scored for us, achieved very little. 1 million is a hell of a lot of money. Awful business.

5 million for Ngolo Kante also terrible, he only stayed for 1 season, very inconsistent and soon was sold on. Achieved very little here, more terrible business from our scouting system.

If you look at it logically.

Akinbiyi cost £5,000,000 and this was funded from the sale of Heskey for £12,000,000.

To put that into perspective, in today’s value, they’d be worth:

Heskey - £67,000,000

Akinbiyi - £24,000,000

So money wise, at the time, whilst a big fee, it sort of made sense got a player who was tearing up Division 1 (Championship).

A few more stats, league goals:

Heskey scored 40 goals in 154 games. A goal every 3.8 games. Youth player.

Akinbiyi scored 11 goals in 58 games. A goal every 5.2 games. Each goal cost £2,100,000 in today’s money.

by comparison:

Slimani - would be worth £33,400,000 - 8 goals in 35 games - A goal every 4.3 games. Each goal cost £4,100,000 in today’s money.

Ihenanacho - would be worth 21,550,000 - 4 goals in 39 games - A goal every 9.75 games. Each goal has cost £5,300,000 in today’s money.

Musa - would be worth £22,220,000 - 2 goals in 21 games - a goal every 10.5 games. Each goal has cost £11,100,000 million in today’s money.

Obviously this doesn’t take account of sell on fees, wages, all adjusted for inflation and made relative for today etc etc ..... someone else can work that out.

Player values source:

https://www.totallymoney.com/content/transfer-index/data/

24 minutes ago, ROB-THE-BLUE said:

Cost a lot less than Silva... and we got a decent return. I doubt we'll get as much back for Silva 

I’m going with Musa because of how rubbish he is. Terrible player. At least Silva’s shown a few glimpses of being a good player. 

Edited by Dickov22

On 09/01/2019 at 18:46, Stoopid said:

Poor old Rodge - at least he had a sense of humour about it. Recall him observing 'Only I could have missed that!'  while reviewing one of his (many) mishaps on 'The Big Match'

God, he was useless!

I did some work with Rog in Derby about 15 Years ago. Worked with him on & off for about a year. A nice enough fella. Derby thro & thro and a legend there.

He was before my time. But I kept quiet that I was a city fan as I knew it hadn't gone well. He asked one day who I followed. I sheepishly said Leicester. He just said 'oh dear'.....and changed subject

1 hour ago, Paninistickers said:

I did some work with Rog in Derby about 15 Years ago. Worked with him on & off for about a year. A nice enough fella. Derby thro & thro and a legend there.

He was before my time. But I kept quiet that I was a city fan as I knew it hadn't gone well. He asked one day who I followed. I sheepishly said Leicester. He just said 'oh dear'.....and changed subject

Unfortunately I do remember him playing. To be fair to him, he joined us when we were utter crap - Frank McLintock's time (Jock Wallace got rid of him pretty sharpish).

He looked like someone who'd been dragged out of the crowd & told to get on with it. Someone who'd never played before. His Derby exploits suggest otherwise, but as a City player he just looked totally out of his depth.

He obviously didn't like being here. But not as much as I didn't like him being here...

• Like 1