Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
foxes21

Clearout

3 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

While we have managed it for half a season.

Yep let keep paying Silva for another 6 months for nothing, the exact some thing you were moaning about James for.

He wants gone, the club want him gone.

Well we've not, we've had better backup than King and James, but we're selling them.

I'm moaning that James will have got 4 years wages off us when he leaves for about 4 week's work. Silva meanwhile hasn't played but is a far, far better backup than James, for one he can manage more than 2 games a season.  

Club should only want him gone if they've got proper backup coming. As is, we've got 3 centre mids (Ndidi, Mendy and Choudhury) at the club when Silva leaves, and that makes the 4-3-3 system near impossible, you're relying on them all being fit and available. 1 player covering two positions isn't even that good if we stick 4-2-3-1

34 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

Well we've not, we've had better backup than King and James, but we're selling them.

I'm moaning that James will have got 4 years wages off us when he leaves for about 4 week's work. Silva meanwhile hasn't played but is a far, far better backup than James, for one he can manage more than 2 games a season.  

Club should only want him gone if they've got proper backup coming. As is, we've got 3 centre mids (Ndidi, Mendy and Choudhury) at the club when Silva leaves, and that makes the 4-3-3 system near impossible, you're relying on them all being fit and available. 1 player covering two positions isn't even that good if we stick 4-2-3-1

I agree.

It only really makes sense if Puel intends to bring Matty James or King back into the fold, we know that the latter has been out in the cold for a year now - so does Puel really think that James is the answer to our midfield woes? For one, he is unreliable as a backup due to him being so prone to injury and you could also argue that he lacks quality and hasn't really developed (perhaps in part due to his length injuries). The question then has to be, are both Silva and Iborra that much worse than an almost permanently injured Matty James? I've seen them both show glimpses of something, they definitely have merited more game time considering they were debutants in the premier league. Moreover, as you've mentioned, if we intend to move forwards with a midfield three then the Silva/Iborra moves away look even more strange. 

I'm actually quite worried that Puel favours James and wants to bring him back into the first 11.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

I'm frankly at loss when it comes to James and fail to understand what Puel sees in him, but I'd be amazed if he considers him as anything more than a back-up. 

Silva's case is pretty much closed, there is no point dwelling on it. Puel isn't going to change the 4-2-3-1 mid-season. For whatever reason it didn't work out and both the club and the players seem to have agreed for a move. We have to trim this squad by any means necessary if we want to buy players who would fit us better. I just hope we have something up our sleeve because we're indeed thin in this area. Yesterday's showed it in a rather frightening way.

8 minutes ago, southfox66 said:

Thing is we should have cleared out two seasons again instead most of them played yesterday :)

but it takes time to clear out shit players on high wages - people are hardly queuing up for them, are they? 

wouldn't surprise me one bit if we use our cup games to primarily put shit fringe players in the shop window these days; hope like **** one of them has a blinder and we can get them sold on the back of it. 

If Leicester City have a place in the starting 11 or on the bench for the likes of Matty James and Andy King, sadly that tells you all you need to know about the level we are at and the ambitions we have. Anyone who argues that either of these two are good enough, today, without harking on about King being great in league 1 and Matty sideways James being CM in the Great escape needs their head looking at. I mean FFS Andy King even managed to do his otherworldly vanishing act against Newport fecking County. 

1 minute ago, SecretPro said:

If Leicester City have a place in the starting 11 or on the bench for the likes of Matty James and Andy King, sadly that tells you all you need to know about the level we are at and the ambitions we have. Anyone who argues that either of these two are good enough, today, without harking on about King being great in league 1 and Matty sideways James being CM in the Great escape needs their head looking at. I mean FFS Andy King even managed to do his otherworldly vanishing act against Newport fecking County. 

all people bang on about is the amazing squad we've got and they're wrong, each and every time.

we've got a few good players and the rest are young and raw but with potential.

our first team is capable (when we don't have injuries) but the back-up players are hangers-on (with all due respect) and throwbacks to our previous successes.

we are not a Top 6 team, we do not have the depth. until Puel can shift out the old guard / charity players and bring in some talent that suits his tactics we will continue to be average.

tbh, I actually think we're mostly doing better than average considering the side we've got. 

to assume this team should breeze into the Top 6 is laughable, quite frankly. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, lifted*fox said:

all people bang on about is the amazing squad we've got and they're wrong, each and every time.

we've got a few good players and the rest are young and raw but with potential.

our first team is capable (when we don't have injuries) but the back-up players are hangers-on (with all due respect) and throwbacks to our previous successes.

we are not a Top 6 team, we do not have the depth. until Puel can shift out the old guard / charity players and bring in some talent that suits his tactics we will continue to be average.

tbh, I actually think we're mostly doing better than average considering the side we've got. 

to assume this team should breeze into the Top 6 is laughable, quite frankly. 

I do think once we are safe he might go for youth......Chilwell, Soyoncu, Maddison, Hamza, Gray, N’didi, Barnes Playing every week, plus Vardy, Albrighton,Ricardo, Harry, allowing a half season of development......it does require everyone trusting the manager, and I can’t get my head around playing, Simpson, James and King....,in the same team, when they have been hardly played/ been discarded

1 hour ago, The Doctor said:

Well we have, that better quality back up has played 88 minutes, maybe they think the wages will be better spent else where? 

Iborra had played 226 minutes. 

Sometimes you have to make choices that make business sense. 

I think the reason you're seeing James get time ahead of the rest is he's least likely to make waves at being 4th choice. I have no doubt he has a realistic picture of his career options at the moment, and 'just happy to be there' probably covers it, without slating his effort levels at all. I don't think saying he's stealing a living is a fair assessment for a perennially injured player, but he's clearly not an option we can rely on in any meaningful capacity going forward. This contrasts with the situation clearly untenable with Silva/Iborra (hence the departure of one and likely departure of the other) who have expectation to start and having failed to breakthrough here want to pursue other opportunities.  

I think the goal from here will be to move King/Silva this window, get James up to snuff to see the season out, finding him a new home (newly promoted team/high Championship or contentment with 5th choice CM and he can stay) and adding a starting level quality player this summer to meaningfully rotate with Mendy and Ndidi and add a more offensive element to the mix.

12 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Well we have, that better quality back up has played 88 minutes, maybe they think the wages will be better spent else where? 

Iborra had played 226 minutes. 

Sometimes you have to make choices that make business sense. 

No, we've not managed without backup for half a season, the backup has been there...

You do, but if we're moving to play 4-3-3 against the bigger clubs, you need more than 3 centre mids at the club (kings a goner and James doesn't count, if he's still fit come the end of the month I'll eat my hat). Only worth getting rid if you've got someone lined up, not last minute reactions - that's what was wrong with the Silva deal in the first place

2 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

No, we've not managed without backup for half a season, the backup has been there...

So you think we would have struggled with Silva 88 minutes, who played 80 minutes in the first game of the season and 8 minutes since.

2 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

You do, but if we're moving to play 4-3-3 against the bigger clubs, you need more than 3 centre mids at the club (kings a goner and James doesn't count, if he's still fit come the end of the month I'll eat my hat). Only worth getting rid if you've got someone lined up, not last minute reactions - that's what was wrong with the Silva deal in the first place

That's the point the club is now trying to make decision with more of a long term view, rather than an 18 game view. 

1 minute ago, Farrington fox said:

I would love to know how the recruitment structure works. Who for example is responsible for signing Silva and Nacho. What the hell was someone thinking when we shelled out 17 million or whatever it was on each of them!

Maybe the same people responsible for Pereira and Maddison, who knows?

26 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

So you think we would have struggled with Silva 88 minutes, who played 80 minutes in the first game of the season and 8 minutes since.

That's the point the club is now trying to make decision with more of a long term view, rather than an 18 game view. 

I think if we plan to continue with 4-3-3 against the big clubs, we need more than 3 CMs at the club. We cannot rely on having no back up and Ndidi, Mendy and Choudhury all being available for the whole of the remainder of the season. That should be obvious to anyone surely?

5 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

I think if we plan to continue with 4-3-3 against the big clubs, we need more than 3 CMs at the club. We cannot rely on having no back up and Ndidi, Mendy and Choudhury all being available for the whole of the remainder of the season. That should be obvious to anyone surely?

I'm not saying you are wrong about need back up, just sometimes you have to have short term pain for long term gain.

Just now, coolhandfox said:

I'm not saying you are wrong about need back up, just sometimes you have to have short term pain for long term gain.

But that's irrelevant. Short term pain for long term gain is not "let's have no squad and hope that the starting 11 never has to change"

3 hours ago, lifted*fox said:

but it takes time to clear out shit players on high wages - people are hardly queuing up for them, are they? 

wouldn't surprise me one bit if we use our cup games to primarily put shit fringe players in the shop window these days; hope like **** one of them has a blinder and we can get them sold on the back of it. 

So same side for the third round of the cup next year then :)

2 hours ago, Farrington fox said:

I would love to know how the recruitment structure works. Who for example is responsible for signing Silva and Nacho. What the hell was someone thinking when we shelled out 17 million or whatever it was on each of them!

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, I for one was really pleased when both of them signed, thought they would really improve our squad, unfortunately it’s not working out as everyone expected.

3 hours ago, lifted*fox said:

Agreed but we’re not helping ourselves by handing out long contracts to some of them.