Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
cityfanlee23

Players not good enough to take us forward under any manager.

1 hour ago, Analysethis said:

Posts like this typifies some people have very little idea about football.

Where I agree with the original poster that we have a lot of dead wood, we also have a load of high quality players. Yes many of the old guard need to go but that is not a problem as there is more than enough quality at our club to do very well. Ive mentioned it in other threads but we have so many players that the top 6 would bite our hands off to buy. They may not all be in peak form as I type but Schmeichel, Maguire, Ricardo, Chilwell, Ndidi and Vardy have all been linked with one or more of the so called big 6 whilst the likes of Maddison and Gray have been spoken about as future England Internationals. To say the squad is shit is madness. The players that we may consider as dead wood are just back-ups where our "crap" squad players like Okazaki, Fuchs and Simpson have all been linked to moves at other prem clubs this transfer window.

Squad wise I think we are in great shape if we were utilising Silva in midfield and if Kelechi had some confidence but we are only two or three signings away from knocking on the door of the top 6 IMO, thats if we had a manager that could play tactics and a team to suit what we have.

Whilst I respect your opinion, we have 10/25 man squad who are not good enough to help us break into the next level. On top of that we’ve got injuries, players out of form and poor attitudes thrown into the mix. That’s why I think the squad is shit. Although Puel infuriates me, I’m glad he’s phasing out the old guard and replacing them with exciting youth team players, and I would like us to continue buying quality and selling the following:

Okazaki

Iheanacho

Morgan

Simpson

James

Silva

Mendy 

King

Jakupovic

Ghezzal

9 hours ago, KFS said:

Whilst I respect your opinion, we have 10/25 man squad who are not good enough to help us break into the next level. On top of that we’ve got injuries, players out of form and poor attitudes thrown into the mix. That’s why I think the squad is shit. Although Puel infuriates me, I’m glad he’s phasing out the old guard and replacing them with exciting youth team players, and I would like us to continue buying quality and selling the following:

Okazaki

Iheanacho

Morgan

Simpson

James

Silva

Mendy 

King

Jakupovic

Ghezzal

I dont think you are giving the club much credit mate.

The reality is many of who you mention above actually were first team players who won us the title just a couple of seasons ago.The way they have been replaced has been nothing short of spectacular, especially when you add to the mix we sold Kante, Drinky and Mayrez in between. The influence that the likes of Morgan, Kingy and Shinji will provide around to the youths has no doubt helped there development. For example I think Maguire has improved with Morgan next to him, Fuchs has no doubt helped Chilwell and the likes of Kingy and Okazaki are legends whose presence around the club must be inspiring. You cant just bin them!! This isnt Football Manager where you can bin players 3 months after they arrive and shunt out 30 players and bring 30 new ones in.

IMO we have done a great job. We have loaned out youngsters like Barnes and Hamza who are now good enough to be in the first team squad. Mendy went out on loan and has come back to contribute. Its too early to judge Ghezzal and I wouldnt bin Kelchi just yet. A few of the older lads are leaving at the end of the season and will be no doubt replaced but I wouldnt have major expectations on major signings. Amartey has been given a new deal so he is a full back option (and defensive midfield). Benkovic is on loan so will challenge for a first team place and hopefully Caglar has settled by then and can really help the first team. They will fill the Morgan void. We dont require an overhaul but 2 or 3 signings under the right manager and we will be challenging the top 6 IMO.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Analysethis said:

The reality is many of who you mention above actually were first team players who won us the title just a couple of seasons ago.The way they have been replaced has been nothing short of spectacular, especially when you add to the mix we sold Kante, Drinky and Mayrez in between. The influence that the likes of Morgan, Kingy and Shinji will provide around to the youths has no doubt helped there development. For example I think Maguire has improved with Morgan next to him, Fuchs has no doubt helped Chilwell and the likes of Kingy and Okazaki are legends whose presence around the club must be inspiring. You cant just bin them!! This isnt Football Manager where you can bin players 3 months after they arrive and shunt out 30 players and bring 30 new ones in.

IMO we have done a great job. We have loaned out youngsters like Barnes and Hamza who are now good enough to be in the first team squad. Mendy went out on loan and has come back to contribute. Its too early to judge Ghezzal and I wouldnt bin Kelchi just yet. A few of the older lads are leaving at the end of the season and will be no doubt replaced but I wouldnt have major expectations on major signings. Amartey has been given a new deal so he is a full back option (and defensive midfield). Benkovic is on loan so will challenge for a first team place and hopefully Caglar has settled by then and can really help the first team. They will fill the Morgan void. We dont require an overhaul but 2 or 3 signings under the right manager and we will be challenging the top 6 IMO.

Is this really relevant?  They would never be part of a title winning team now (even if they were 2 years younger.  Perhaps Vardy)  They are not players of that level and only were for one freak season

Hmmm.  No, not really.  We are not close to the top 6 and you know Man U and Arsenal and Chelsea will probably be stronger next season.  We are only top 6 if one of them implodes.  Always possible I guess if Chelsea lose Hazard for example.  But they have the ability to replace, rumours of Coutinho coming in

No matter the manager if you are expecting to 6 when he comes in you will almost certainly be disappointed

24 minutes ago, Analysethis said:

Those players will forever be legends but there’s no sentimentality in progression.

On 19/01/2019 at 14:59, cityfanlee23 said:

Can't help but think we have a massive amount of players on the books who regardless of manager simply are not good enough. 

Morgan - So inconsistent and any other manager would be trying to retire or sell him, he's lucky Puel is so loyal to him, disgraceful to hear he ran past puel to celebrate with others for his goal, Puel is the only manager that would still be playing him week in week out. 
Simpson - Really one dimensional and his defensive solidness really is not what it used to be. 
Mendy - Great first few games and has had his moments but generally he's just average at best, him and Ndidi together just do not compliment eachother. 
Iheanacho - Too many chances now, 10 mins left, you're a CF and you're losing the game, you should be up and down the touchline making sure the manager sees you, instead he's sat on the bench in his coat without his boots tied up or pads on. Just get rid. 

Okazaki - Past it

Silva - Probably needs more chances as he's proven quality, but everytime he has played he's generally been off the pace, so unless we have a new manager with a master plan, can't see him doing much at this level. 

Fuchs - Past it, been below average when he's had a chance this season, either his passing or his defending lets him down every game he's played. 

King - Time has come. 

James - Time has come. 

Jakupovic - Waste of a wage 

Inconsistent players

Gray - Did well today for his goal, but can't help but wish he did it more often, shows flashes of brilliance but often just gets marked out of the game.

Chilwell - He's decent enough but massively overrated IMO, i'd take 50m for him if city offered it, his defending is OK and his attacking is OK. Very rarely does a cross connect and more often than not he turns and passes backwards. 

The last 2 and possibly Silva could be good under a new manager, but generally speaking I really think the problem goes deeper than this. Our bench is piss poor and many of our first team players just cannot adapt any other style of play than hoofball. 

EDIT ---------------------------------

Just to add to this post and to reflect on the last 18 months or so, here is a list of players that Puel inherited that he's had to offload whilst trying to progress the squad.

Huth

Wasilewski

Hamers

Musa

Slimani

Ulloa

Kapustka???

Benalouane

Zieler

Lawrence

Lists combined thats 20 players that have been or need to be moved on, he did not take on a small job. 

Finally people are seeing it’s not all down to Claudio, Shakespeare, and puel

10 hours ago, KFS said:

Okazaki

Iheanacho

Morgan

Simpson

James

Silva

Mendy 

King

Jakupovic

Ghezzal

And Slimani!!

The next couple of signings (probably in the summer) have to be players with intelligence. Good game managers, personalities which can inspire and join cliques together.

We looked totally devoid of leadership at times on Saturday and as soon as we got that equaliser we should have been launching the ball to corners taking a point. 

It brought back memories of Cambiasso saying when lost at Spurs under Pearson, 4-3. We equalised and the players lost their composure. They celebrated wildly and quickly. He was telling them slow down the celebrations. Make the game slower.

Saturday we just carried on being ridiculously open. Chilwell flying up the left flank when we lost that ball, N’Didi trying a wonderpass, Evans correctly playing deep whilst Morgan showed careless regard for the goalhanging Jota. Ricky P too far up the pitch. Get those full backs tucked in to the centre backs at that point 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

Is this really relevant?  They would never be part of a title winning team now (even if they were 2 years younger.  Perhaps Vardy)  They are not players of that level and only were for one freak season

Hmmm.  No, not really.  We are not close to the top 6 and you know Man U and Arsenal and Chelsea will probably be stronger next season.  We are only top 6 if one of them implodes.  Always possible I guess if Chelsea lose Hazard for example.  But they have the ability to replace, rumours of Coutinho coming in

No matter the manager if you are expecting to 6 when he comes in you will almost certainly be disappointed

If we had a squad like West Ham, Everton, Bournemouth etc Id say Id be delighted with a top half position. They might have a few good players but not on our level. Forget the back-ups as we have a massive squad albeit imbalanced. The thing I keep banging on about is we have high quality and in some cases pre-peak International players that most of the top 6 would love. We are a few signings away from really pushing to be a club in regular European football. 

The top 6 may be able to buy certain players but they dont guarantee success. Man Utd bought Bailly for 30m, we got Maguire for near half of that. We go Maddison for about 22m whilst they bought Fred for 52m. The list is endless. As long as the recruitment is right there is no guarantee that the top 6 who have to pay over the odds will necessarily buy players who will out perform ours. Id say we need to start thinking and aiming high. We need a manager to be thinking that way as well. Unfortunately, Im not convinced we have him there at the moment.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Analysethis said:

If we had a squad like West Ham, Everton, Bournemouth etc Id say Id be delighted with a top half position. They might have a few good players but not on our level. Forget the back-ups as we have a massive squad albeit imbalanced. The thing I keep banging on about is we have high quality and in some cases pre-peak International players that most of the top 6 would love. We are a few signings away from really pushing to be a club in regular European football. 

The top 6 may be able to buy certain players but they dont guarantee success. Man Utd bought Bailly for 30m, we got Maguire for near half of that. We go Maddison for about 22m whilst they bought Fred for 52m. The list is endless. As long as the recruitment is right there is no guarantee that the top 6 who have to pay over the odds will necessarily buy players who will out perform ours. Id say we need to start thinking and aiming high. We need a manager to be thinking that way as well. Unfortunately, Im not convinced we have him there at the moment.

We really do not, Kasper wouldn't be a step up to any top 6 keeper. Ndidi isn't good enough on the ball to get in a top 6 team. Maddison wouldn't get touched with a barge pole just yet and neither would Gray, even midtable teams wouldn't consider him at the moment. The only three players who would remotely stand a chance of playing for a top 6 club are Maguire, Chilwell and Vardy... even Vardy is pushing it due to his age and the options other teams have.

You are massively inflating the quality of our players.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Richie_Wellens_Cat said:

We really do not, Kasper wouldn't be a step up to any top 6 keeper. Ndidi isn't good enough on the ball to get in a top 6 team. Maddison wouldn't get touched with a barge pole just yet and neither would Gray, even midtable teams wouldn't consider him at the moment. The only three players who would remotely stand a chance of playing for a top 6 club are Maguire, Chilwell and Vardy... even Vardy is pushing it due to his age and the options other teams have.

You are massively inflating the quality of our players.

For me Schmeichel is better than what Arsenal have and I really dont rate Lloris either. However, I agree with the three that you listed that were good enough. Yes Vardy would have a field day at somewhere like Chelsea who are in desperate need for someone like him. Ricardo for me is better as an attacking wing back than what the likes of Man Utd or Chelsea have if not more teams like Man City who have dropped Walker in recent times. Ndidi has dipped this season but most of the top 6 were linked to him and you can add Gray and Maddison into that mix. The latter two may be raw but the potential is of both is huge. They may not waltz straight into the first team but have high quality. 

I think you are under-selling what we have. Many of our fans have got so complacent that they dont actually see what they have until we have sold them on. They are looking worse than they are because they are not being led at the top and the system we play doesnt suit the personnel.

Good squad poorly coached IMO. The first team core we have are excellent and should be a lot more effective and consistent - frankly the manager should get more from the talent below:

Kasper

Ward

Maguire

Benkovic

Soyuncu

Evans

Chilwell

Fuchs

Pereira

Ndidi

Mendy

Hamza

Silva (arguable)

Barnes

Vardy

That said, we are definitely carrying some hangers-on who are either not up to it physically, mentally or ability-wise and the squad's unbalanced thanks to it:

Kelechi

Simpson

Morgan

Diabaté

Ghezzal

Albrighton (sorry, but too one-dimensional)

Gray (arguable but has flattered to deceive since coming)

King

James (sad but he's been ruined by injury)

Okazaki (again sad but seems past his best)

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Analysethis said:

For me Schmeichel is better than what Arsenal have and I really dont rate Lloris either. However, I agree with the three that you listed that were good enough. Yes Vardy would have a field day at somewhere like Chelsea who are in desperate need for someone like him. Ricardo for me is better as an attacking wing back than what the likes of Man Utd or Chelsea have if not more teams like Man City who have dropped Walker in recent times. Ndidi has dipped this season but most of the top 6 were linked to him and you can add Gray and Maddison into that mix. The latter two may be raw but the potential is of both is huge. They may not waltz straight into the first team but have high quality. 

I think you are under-selling what we have. Many of our fans have got so complacent that they dont actually see what they have until we have sold them on. They are looking worse than they are because they are not being led at the top and the system we play doesnt suit the personnel.

Linked doesn't = good enough though. I can only base it on what I see from the players and too many of our team are just "potential" at the moment, decent enough for midtable but with question marks whether they can go any higher. Teams like West Ham and Everton have players that have actually performed at a higher level than most of ours have.

1 minute ago, Richie_Wellens_Cat said:

Linked doesn't = good enough though. I can only base it on what I see from the players and too many of our team are just "potential" at the moment, decent enough for midtable but with question marks whether they can go any higher. Teams like West Ham and Everton have players that have actually performed at a higher level than most of ours have.

The annoying thing for me is why some of our players seem to look better at International level. Ive seen Ndidi and Maguire look much better at that level. To me its down to what goes on at our club by the manager. I know people protect Puel and fair play to them as he seems to be a very honourable man but for me its horses for courses. Puel and Leicester do not fit IMO. His job is to get the best out of the players and i think he is failing. Players being played out of position, constantly changing the team, tactics that dont suit the individuals etc.

For me with have the basis of an excellent side. As mentioned before you will soon see how good our players are when they are sold to "bigger" clubs.

45 minutes ago, Analysethis said:

I think you're massively overrating our players and vastly undermining Everton and West Ham signings.

- Only four (Ricardo if he confirms his good season, Maguire, Vardy and Chilwell) would make it to the top 6 bench, although ManU might slot Harry directly in if they don't find a better alternative (hypothetical case).

- Some have potential (Barnes, Ndidi, Gray, Maddison, Choudhury, Soyuncu, Benkovic) to be very good players but are quite not there yet

- The rest are mid-table (Albrighton, Evans, Mendy, Amartey, Ghezzal, Iheanacho) or down right Championship level or past it (Okazaki, Fuchs, James, King, Simpson, Morgan).

Maybe we are, just not this season or the next one and that's what people fail to see.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Analysethis said:

Enjoyed this post..

Though it would be great to be chasing top 6...I feel this is one ideology ,that betrays many on this forum....too many though in the minority are

Expecting it!!! And bring the quality of banter down,to virol,unpleasant levels!!...I am no snowflake,but some posts of got boring....

Every week pecking at something...and using chasing top 6 to bring out the battering ram..

We might have the odd quality player but they aren't good enough to keep carrying a bunch of average/poor players. How many times over the past few weeks have we seen us pass the ball out of play under no pressure? It's pathetic to be honest and the people that want to lay the full blame on Puel will be in for a shock if we get a new manager

The main issue with our players seems to be a mental one.
For everybody who watches every games, it's obvious a lot of them don't put the same efforts during "regular" games than games against the top 6 clubs and it infuriates me.

IDK if they think they are better than they really are and think they can beat any non-top 6 clubs walking on the pitch or if they just want to be noticed by top 6 managers, but there is clearly an issue.

Maybe someone should tell them a very good football player isn't gauged by his potential but by his ability to repeat good performances week after week.

23 hours ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

Good squad poorly coached IMO. The first team core we have are excellent and should be a lot more effective and consistent - frankly the manager should get more from the talent below:

Kasper

Ward (arguable)

Maguire

Benkovic (arguable) 21

Soyuncu (arguable) 22

Evans

Chilwell 22

Fuchs Nearly 33... he's done at this level now.

Pereira

Ndidi 22

Mendy

Hamza 21

Silva (arguable)

Barnes 21

Maddison 22

Gray 22

Vardy

Half that bunch are 22 and under, consistency isn't going to be our strong point.

I wonder about motivation..... normally, players would try and perform to earn a move to a ‘big club’. However, we are paying good wages and have shown we won’t allow players to move for less than a big fee. Are some of the players just ‘doing enough’ to get by because they know if  they really put it in and interest comes from a big six club, they wouldn’t be allowed to leave in any case. they don’t believe we can break into the top six so are just going through the motions ........ be interesting to see if they put in a shift over the next three bigger games 

Man United in the 90's with exceptional young players they'd developed among them Beckham, Giggs, Scoles etc  still depended on a balance of youth and experience. Cantana and Sheringham being two examples (I know its a fantasy team/ level!)

Our older players other than Vardy are past their best.

I honestly can't see how Puel wants to play the game, he has never really made it public and certainly hasn't mentioned it to me. If he has got a 'vision' its not getting across in games.

I admire the aspect that he does take some credit for, although too much IMO is developing younger players.

He'd go up massively in my estimation if we signed a mature experienced midfielder who can pass forward and a striker that can read Vardys game both desperately needed. Whilst and to help players develop.

Done us OK in the past.

Edited by Bob Hazels shorts

19 hours ago, Bob Hazels shorts said:

Man United in the 90's with exceptional young players they'd developed among them Beckham, Giggs, Scoles etc  still depended on a balance of youth and experience. Cantana and Sheringham being two examples (I know its a fantasy team/ level!)

Our older players other than Vardy are past their best.

I honestly can't see how Puel wants to play the game, he has never really made it public and certainly hasn't mentioned it to me. If he has got a 'vision' its not getting across in games.

I admire the aspect that he does take some credit for, although too much IMO is developing younger players.

He'd go up massively in my estimation if we signed a mature experienced midfielder who can pass forward and a striker that can read Vardys game both desperately needed. Whilst and to help players develop.

Done us OK in the past.

I find a lot of unwarranted arrogance in Puel which is totally unjustified. Self proclaimed as a "builder", not a "firefighter" but hasn't really shown any sign of building a good footballing side, only lowering the average age of a squad through showing faith in youth, which is as you say - admirable. He's a realist and an average manager. It makes uncomfortable his lack of rapport with fans and never explains his reasoning for things. I do think he is struggling to get the more senior players on board with his "vision", these players may not take him seriously after reaching massive heights in previous years, which Is not his fault of course, that lies directly with the players. 

19 minutes ago, bfox said:

I find a lot of unwarranted arrogance in Puel which is totally unjustified. Self proclaimed as a "builder", not a "firefighter" but hasn't really shown any sign of building a good footballing side, only lowering the average age of a squad through showing faith in youth, which is as you say - admirable. He's a realist and an average manager. It makes uncomfortable his lack of rapport with fans and never explains his reasoning for things. I do think he is struggling to get the more senior players on board with his "vision", these players may not take him seriously after reaching massive heights in previous years, which Is not his fault of course, that lies directly with the players. 

Cringing at ‘senior players not taking him seriously’. Especially if you’re on about one of Simpson or Wes, neither can pass a football and would have been sold under any other manager. 

Say what you want about puel but If he leaves in the summer, he’s left the team in a much better position than when he first arrived & the new manager will only need 1 or 2 players for us to be a good team.

10 minutes ago, OhYesNdidi said:

Cringing at ‘senior players not taking him seriously’. Especially if you’re on about one of Simpson or Wes, neither can pass a football and would have been sold under any other manager. 

Say what you want about puel but If he leaves in the summer, he’s left the team in a much better position than when he first arrived & the new manager will only need 1 or 2 players for us to be a good team.

Senior as in having been at the club a long time.