Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban fox

best XI ever?

Peggy (coz I never saw him play and apparently would do a warm up where he did a standing jump from one post to the other)

Solano, Walsh, Curtis Davies, Fuchs/ Knoch (ht sub)

Kante,Draper, Muzzy, Cambiasso. (Free roles to all four, a gang of them)

Hesk flick ons, Vardy doing runway manoeuvres.

Shilton

Rodriguez/Whitworth   Elliot   Cross/Mclintock.  Rodriguez/Nish

Kante 

Tielemans  Gibson

Weller     Mahrez                                   

Vardy/Worthington/Lineker

I could see Both Ricardo/Castagna Making the FB positions...

Plus also see Rodriguez & Nish, playing either side.

CF...all Good choices for different reasons...Rowley also worth more than a shout.

Edited by fuchsntf
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Blue Ed said:

Since 1990 following Leicester. *Greater players would be here if I was older.

Kasper

Ricardo

Elliott

Walsh

Kaamark

Kante

Teillemans

Izzet

Marhez

Vardy

Joachim

Subs

Cambiasso

Fofana

Keller

Ulloa

Fuchs

Albrighton

Ferdinand

Guppy

I assume you've missed captain Morgan from that list? Instead you put Fofana... I know it's opinions but apart from that I'd tend to agree.

There is a lot of childhood nostalgia in this thread from older posters.

I'm not having that any of our players who played for City before the 90s, with their poor diets, lack of tactical awareness and elite training that you have today, and the famous lack of technique from the older generations of English players, would even make the bench of a greatest ever Leicester team.

Worthington, Weller, Rowley and co, put them in their primes in this current team and they would stick out like a sore thumb and not in a good way. I've seen videos of full matches from the 70s and 80s, the famous Liverpool teams, and their general play is far, far inferior to what we're used to from top sides today. The amount of space they got, and the quality of their passing and first touch was not a patch on some of the players in mid table PL teams and below. I'd argue those players would be Championship level quite frankly. The only area where they stood out as better was that they were much tougher, and could ride hard tackles, legs made of granite.

Everything seems better as a child or youth and it clouds your judgement. For instance I loved the Martin O'Neill sides but I'm realistic enough to know they wouldn't beat this current team in fact they'd get tonked.

Sure if you took those players and gave them modern training, technology, tactical awareness I'm sure they'd be as good as modern day top players but as they were - not a chance.

Sorry if that upsets some and shatters the rose tinted memories but it has to be said!

Edited by Arriba Los Zorros
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Heskey2011 said:

Yeah yeah yeah right and I suppose Nobby Solano wasn't that good at right back.... Honestly people like you.

1 hour ago, Crazy Kop Corner said:

Emile was absolutely immense for us. 

Generally speaking if people jump on the bandwagon saying he was crap, poor for England etc I tend think they know nothing about football. 

Some days he was more or less unplayable around 96 / 97  

I've put him in my team on the left as we tended to boot the ball out to him and he'd often peal off of the left and cause absolute havoc 

What "bandwagon"? Heskey hasn't been in the public zeitgeist for 15 years. I don't think he was crap. I think he was a good player for us, who could be a match winner on his day, but he also gets really overrated by 20-something Leicester fans who watched him as a kid where they can only remember the highlights (I know plenty my age who do the same with players from my youth too). I'd probably put him as the 6th or 7th best Leicester forward I've seen (behind Vardy, Worthington, Smith, Iheanacho and Lineker certainly), which is a very good accolade but I'm honestly surprised that anyone genuinely thinks Heskey's peak was as good as Iheanacho's this calander year and that Heskey would improve Vardy more than Iheanacho has.

I don't remember anyone at the time ever bringing Heskey up amongst the top 3 or 4 players in any of his 4 1/2 seasons here whenever Leicester fans were discussing POTY at the end of the season, because he was never consistent enough. He seemed to become beatified after he left the club, when he gave the club money while in administration, which is fair enough, it's a great gesture and it's certainly worth giving the man accolade in the club's history for that, but for some reason it seemed to retrospectively elevate his time as a player here.

Whereas since February, Iheanacho has 21 goals and 8 assists in 25 starts, I mean that's utterly absurd. Iheanacho was statically one of the best in Europe, alongside Messi and Lewandowski in the second half of last season and he pretty much single handedly dragged us through the second half of last season and was consistently a match winner. I mean Heskey was a good player, but his peak for us was absolutely nowhere that of Iheanacho's peak over the past 9 or 10 months, I'm surprised you think that is some unpopular opinion which requires scorn over. Heskey never played anything like as well as Iheanacho is currently playing, and has been playing for approaching a year now, for us.

I think Maddison and Barnes up until their injuries in Jan/Feb time last season, were also playing at a level Heskey never reached for us over a good 6 months or so in the first half of last season. I think both the eye-test and almost every statistic will bare that out as well.

Edited by Sampson

11 minutes ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

I'm not having that any of our players who played for City before the 90s, with their poor diets, lack of tactical awareness and elite training that you have today, and the famous lack of technique from the older generations of English players, would even make the bench of a greatest ever Leicester team.

Worthington, Weller, Rowley and co, put them in their primes in this current team and they would stick out like a sore thumb and not in a good way. I've seen videos of full matches from the 70s and 80s, the famous Liverpool teams, and their general play is far, far inferior to what we're used to from top sides today. The amount of space they got, and the quality of their passing and first touch was not a patch on some of the players in mid table PL teams and below. I'd argue those players would be Championship level quite frankly. The only area where they stood out as better was that they were much tougher, and could ride hard tackles, legs made of granite.

Everything seems better as a child or youth and it clouds your judgement. For instance I loved the Martin O'Neill sides but I'm realistic enough to know they wouldn't beat this current team in fact they'd get tonked.

Sure if you took those players and gave them modern training, technology, tactical awareness I'm sure they'd be as good as modern day top players but as they were - not a chance.

Sorry if that upsets some and shatters the rose tinted memories but it has to be said!

As long as the current team didn’t concede any corners!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

Mmm you have forgotten one thing. The state of the pitches back then !!!

• Like 1

Shilts and Banksy - little to separate them.

Vardy. Mahrez, Kante. Best I've seen in City shirts.

Keith Weller. Frank Worthington

After that it gets problematic. Have we ever had two great centre-back pairings? Evans probably the best ever. Graham Cross? Sjoberg? Walsh and Elliot were a couple of lions but skill wise - not so sure. John O'Neill?

At left-back - Fuchs, Whitworth or Dennis Rofe.

Frank McLintock - certainly. Davie Gibson.

Lenny Glover - one of the fastest and toughest left wingers I've seen.

Izzet and Lennon.

Gary Mac. Kevin Macdonald. Tielemans .for his sublime touch. Castagne might turn out to be the best yet at right-back.

Parker never really impressed me.

Alan Clarke was special - for a season. Lineker not up to Vardy's level. Neither was Heskey.

Tough call. I was hardly born when Rowley was at his peak. Chandler, Hines and the rest of the 1928 team must have been shit-hot but they're lost in the distant past.

Forgot Wilf - he's getting there. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, marcymarc446 said:

Mmm you have forgotten one thing. The state of the pitches back then !!!

Yes just that, but he seems to have also  forgotten that  the individual level of skill and physical tenacity and endurance, when allied with all the training, nutrition and monitoring techniques would make those players he's decrying as not up to it, just as good as the moderns. Silly argument based on flawed logic.

• Like 1

On 28/10/2021 at 20:46, MPH said:

Fair shout with Vardy and Tielemans. Tough to add Kante as he only played for one season.. Kasper is a terrific keeper but I wouldn’t put him ahead of shilton or banks.

Even if it was one season he was absolutely world class and by far and away one of the most gifted and influential players to have ever worn the shirt. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

Kasper
   Ric Fofana Soy Fuchs

Mahrez Tiele Kante Guppy

Heskey Vardy

Hmm. Worthington over Heskey. Where's Evans? I rate Castagne over Ricardo on the right. Fofana isn't there yet. Lenny Glover was more comprehensive player than Steve Guppy and Davie Gibson better than either. It's a 'modern' best ever.

21 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

Kevin Russell should be captain

Have we had a cult 11 as Rooster would probably be captain - He was absolutely adored 

Cult 11 

Wallington 

Mauchlen       Walshie       Bamba      Kaamark 

Cambiassso   Izzet       Gary Mac     

Rooster     Vardy   Tommy Wright 

Edited by Crazy Kop Corner
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

You make the classic mistake of believing that you can assess players from different periods on actualities rather than realities.

The reality being that you have to assume, when comparing like for like, that those players you dismiss so scornfully (and their promoters), were they playing now, would have the benefit of advanced training regimes, individual nutrition plans, state-of-the-art medical care and rehabilitation and be warned off smoking. And, as someone else responded to you, wouldn't be playing on mud through the winter.

In addition your argument rules out players like Pele, Maradona, Bobby Charlton, Best and Cruyff - to name just a few.

• Like 1

Guest StevieLynex
1 hour ago, Wasyls Pec Deck said:

Has anyone ever posed a best of XI of baldies? :ph34r:

Start the ball rolling with Wallington, but come to think of it PEN3 were certain that he was not bald

1 hour ago, gerblod said:

Hmm. Worthington over Heskey. Where's Evans? I rate Castagne over Ricardo on the right. Fofana isn't there yet. Lenny Glover was more comprehensive player than Steve Guppy and Davie Gibson better than either. It's a 'modern' best ever.

Yeah. I never watched those you mentioned. Fofana will be there soon. I hope Barnes will be there too.

Edited by Foxxed

Guest StevieLynex
30 minutes ago, Wasyls Pec Deck said:

For those interested in a slap head XI there is an extensive thread here on the folically challenged:

Got me scratching my head there