Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban fox

best XI ever?

On 28/10/2021 at 20:24, Heskey2011 said:

I've heard this before, in the first line of this thread. You can't complain about a thread if the threadee has addressed your grievance in the first line of said thread. It's almost as if you have just read the title and posted willynilly before reading thoroughly. Which is tantamount to jizzing in your own eye and fround upon by others me.

Thank you for quoting my almost 3 year old comment.  I’ve been on foxestalk since 2006 seen it all swap the family stand with the kop, sack Holloway, bring back Pearson, buy back Mahrez. 

somehow in General Chat we manage to keep threads open and current for years and years but in the Leicester forum we just keep creating new ones for the same topic. 

• Thanks 1

On 29/10/2021 at 17:12, fuchsntf said:

Shilton

Rodriguez/Whitworth   Elliot   Cross/Mclintock.  Rodriguez/Nish

Kante 

Tielemans  Gibson

Weller     Mahrez                                   

Vardy/Worthington/Lineker

I could see Both Ricardo/Castagna Making the FB positions...

Plus also see Rodriguez & Nish, playing either side.

CF...all Good choices for different reasons...Rowley also worth more than a shout.

Depends on your age  to start with Banks should be a shoe in  and  how many modern players   could play on old type pitches   I  wouldnt fancy Mahrez  prefer Derek Hogg   Mike Stringfellow   Jackie  Sinclair  and my personal favourite Lennie Glover   and   Arthur Rowley  surely

On 29/10/2021 at 17:12, fuchsntf said:

Shilton

Rodriguez/Whitworth   Elliot   Cross/Mclintock.  Rodriguez/Nish

Kante 

Tielemans  Gibson

Weller     Mahrez                                   

Vardy/Worthington/Lineker

I could see Both Ricardo/Castagna Making the FB positions...

Plus also see Rodriguez & Nish, playing either side.

CF...all Good choices for different reasons...Rowley also worth more than a shout.

The name of Peter Rodriguez had crossed my mind too. Didn't he play for Wales? He was an impressive regular for several seasons.

David Nish was an outstanding player. I think Derby pinched him off us.

It's so difficult to even dredge these names up from ones memory, but doing the comparisons between players of different eras is very taxing and subjective job. 

The '15-'16 team finally outdid all predecessor teams - in particular the '28-'29 collection and the 'Ice King' generation - so they naturally have precedence over those teams. Then O'Neill's carefully assembled and nurtured lads. He was probably the best post-war manager after Matt Gillies.

I rated Mark Draper and Ian Wilson as well. Alan Smith was classy. Dennis Rofe was excellent in his position.

But the Vardy/Kante/Mahrez trio will take some emulating. Banks/Shilton are also preeminent. 

Maddison could make it into exalted status as could Castagne. 

I don't think I've seen Ken Leek mentioned either.

And so the debate will chunter on. :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, gerblod said:

The name of Peter Rodriguez had crossed my mind too. Didn't he play for Wales? He was an impressive regular for several seasons.

David Nish was an outstanding player. I think Derby pinched him off us.

It's so difficult to even dredge these names up from ones memory, but doing the comparisons between players of different eras is very taxing and subjective job. 

The '15-'16 team finally outdid all predecessor teams - in particular the '28-'29 collection and the 'Ice King' generation - so they naturally have precedence over those teams. Then O'Neill's carefully assembled and nurtured lads. He was probably the best post-war manager after Matt Gillies.

I rated Mark Draper and Ian Wilson as well. Alan Smith was classy. Dennis Rofe was excellent in his position.

But the Vardy/Kante/Mahrez trio will take some emulating. Banks/Shilton are also preeminent. 

Maddison could make it into exalted status as could Castagne. 

I don't think I've seen Ken Leek mentioned either.

And so the debate will chunter on. :rolleyes:

Yes I Too was hovering on Ken Leek, & Sep Smith, who all my Uncles & Dad, often mentioned, but Sep was Not of my Era...

• Like 1

On 29/10/2021 at 18:08, Arriba Los Zorros said:

There is a lot of childhood nostalgia in this thread from older posters.

I'm not having that any of our players who played for City before the 90s, with their poor diets, lack of tactical awareness and elite training that you have today, and the famous lack of technique from the older generations of English players, would even make the bench of a greatest ever Leicester team.

Worthington, Weller, Rowley and co, put them in their primes in this current team and they would stick out like a sore thumb and not in a good way. I've seen videos of full matches from the 70s and 80s, the famous Liverpool teams, and their general play is far, far inferior to what we're used to from top sides today. The amount of space they got, and the quality of their passing and first touch was not a patch on some of the players in mid table PL teams and below. I'd argue those players would be Championship level quite frankly. The only area where they stood out as better was that they were much tougher, and could ride hard tackles, legs made of granite.

Everything seems better as a child or youth and it clouds your judgement. For instance I loved the Martin O'Neill sides but I'm realistic enough to know they wouldn't beat this current team in fact they'd get tonked.

Sure if you took those players and gave them modern training, technology, tactical awareness I'm sure they'd be as good as modern day top players but as they were - not a chance.

Sorry if that upsets some and shatters the rose tinted memories but it has to be said!

Glad you put this proviso in as it destroys your whole argument. 

Edited by l444ry
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, l444ry said:

Glad you put this proviso in as it destroys your whole argument. 

Yes you're not wrong, but isn't the point of this thread to judge the players as they were? I'm not saying that our great players of yesteryear were any less naturally gifted than those of recent times: but that the talent wasn't harnessed and maximised in the same way as it is today, making them entirely unsuited to be considered in a greatest ever team as they would be so far behind even average players today physically, technically and tactically.