Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LcfcOk

The gym

2 hours ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Been doing Les Mills body pump classes with the Mrs. Very good.

Feel a lot of blokes think they're above these kind of classes in favour of just chasing PBs on the bar, but it's pretty humbling when you're half hour into one of these classes and struggling to hit a 10kg chest press because you're completely burnt out lol. Nice to be told exactly what to do as well and not have to think about what's next. 

Yeh I do HIIT twice a week. Three women in their 60s run rings around everyone else, incredible fitness. It's working for me as I play racketball but I am not good at racketball, however I am fitter than almost all of the club members but they are all technically better. So taking each rally long and playing at a quick pace is the only way I can win matches. Not sure about strength building though.

I used to do Sean T’s Insanity Max 30 and that got me pretty lean but, and it might have had other factors, it also resulted in me having to see a chiropractor regularly with ****ed hip flexors.

On 14/04/2024 at 15:20, LcFc_Smiv said:

Always strength trained and been a regular runner for the past few years, minus the past few weeks while I’ve managed an injury. Went along yesterday to a CrossFit style functional fitness gym that my girlfriend has been going to for a few months and wow do I have a lot more respect for that kind of training. I’ve always been fit, but this was different to anything I have done. Halfway through I regretted my decision, by the end I was ready to sign up. 

Interesting to hear. Always, felt CrossFit was another of these fad franchise regimes that have come and gone over the years, particularly as one of the main sports science concepts you're taught in academic training is the principle of specificity. As such I've always dismissed the concept based upon it's generalised approach to training.

That said, having watched the last 2 seasons of Physical 100 on Netflix and seen two CrossFitter's end up winning both season's it's really changed my outlook as an approach to fitness. The performance of the eventual winner in the Infinite Squat challenge that the final 3 contestants faced in season 2 was unreal. 

8 hours ago, ian__marshall said:

Interesting to hear. Always, felt CrossFit was another of these fad franchise regimes that have come and gone over the years, particularly as one of the main sports science concepts you're taught in academic training is the principle of specificity. As such I've always dismissed the concept based upon it's generalised approach to training.

That said, having watched the last 2 seasons of Physical 100 on Netflix and seen two CrossFitter's end up winning both season's it's really changed my outlook as an approach to fitness. The performance of the eventual winner in the Infinite Squat challenge that the final 3 contestants faced in season 2 was unreal. 

I completely agree, working in sports science roles and as an accredited S&C coach I always just viewed CrossFit as a training concept where it’s just designed to make you tired and fatigued without much thought or process, and without much care towards proper exercise technique. What I do like is while I can smash a cardio based session in large groups, I can also attend smaller group sessions where you nail down on specific techniques or strength work.

I imagine there are a number of gyms/people in this space who don’t operate like that and don’t coach appropriately, but I’ve got to say the guys who have been leading the sessions I’ve been at have been top class. My fitness over the past 3 weeks has improved greatly- returning to running after injury has felt effortless, I’m stronger and I feel a lot better day to day. It’s made me realise that while I thought my own strength training was going well, I was probably sat in too much of a comfort zone. I haven’t seen the Physical 100 but I can see where your coming from some of the physical qualities of the more advanced people I’ve seen in the gym is really impressive.

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, adam1 said:

Is the Nuffield in Leicester ok? Looking at moving gyms.

I haven’t been for ages, but I used to live close by so took a trial day pass. Got in the shower and there was the biggest pile of pubes in the corner of the cubicle.

Not for me.

• Like 1

On 25/07/2024 at 19:29, adam1 said:

Is the Nuffield in Leicester ok? Looking at moving gyms.

Dreadful reviews online. It’s the closest gym to me, so I looked into it a few times as it looks nice from the outside. Unreal pricing for what seems like a dirty, poor maintained gym. They want around £70 a month for anytime access with a 12 month commitment. Insane.

Abbey Sports nearby is even worse, horrendous inside and the lounge area constantly stinks of chip fat. They always have private parties/wakes in the lounge area and you can’t get to and from the gym without walking through. Strongly advise giving this one a miss too.

Conversely, I did some work for the Everyone Active in Coalville last week. Bloody beautiful gym that. Really really nice. Only £39.99, but very far from Nuffield.

• Like 1

On 28/07/2024 at 09:10, phoneticerror said:

Dreadful reviews online. It’s the closest gym to me, so I looked into it a few times as it looks nice from the outside. Unreal pricing for what seems like a dirty, poor maintained gym. They want around £70 a month for anytime access with a 12 month commitment. Insane.

Abbey Sports nearby is even worse, horrendous inside and the lounge area constantly stinks of chip fat. They always have private parties/wakes in the lounge area and you can’t get to and from the gym without walking through. Strongly advise giving this one a miss too.

Conversely, I did some work for the Everyone Active in Coalville last week. Bloody beautiful gym that. Really really nice. Only £39.99, but very far from Nuffield.

With Nuffield I was asking because David Lloyd has a crap reputation for the cost and I was thinking whether Nuffield fell into the same bracket.

I am on the outskirts of Leicester, the Coalville gym is only 9minutes further then nuffield.

I see Everyone Active is the local authority gym (provided by a working partner). Charnwood BC use Fusion Lifestyle and I was also looking at their Mountsorrel Gym. Roughly the same price. 

Might do the Mountsorrel one.

1 hour ago, adam1 said:

With Nuffield I was asking because David Lloyd has a crap reputation for the cost and I was thinking whether Nuffield fell into the same bracket.

I am on the outskirts of Leicester, the Coalville gym is only 9minutes further then nuffield.

I see Everyone Active is the local authority gym (provided by a working partner). Charnwood BC use Fusion Lifestyle and I was also looking at their Mountsorrel Gym. Roughly the same price. 

Might do the Mountsorrel one.

I used to go the Nuffield gym and it was nice but so expensive. It also seemed to have a higher proportion of d**k heads who just sit on equipment on their phones that used to drive me up the wall.

I use the Coalville and Whitwick one as do swimming most mornings.  Equipment is fine and I think you can access other Everyone Active gyms too (worth checking) just in case you thought the extra drive was worth it for the newer kit.  They usually offer free passes to have a look around so give them a go.  If not, I get a free guest pass that is never used that you're welcome to.  Easy to be snooty at the council gyms, but the Coalville one is legit nicer than the Nuffield one.

17 minutes ago, Zear0 said:

I used to go the Nuffield gym and it was nice but so expensive. It also seemed to have a higher proportion of d**k heads who just sit on equipment on their phones that used to drive me up the wall.

I use the Coalville and Whitwick one as do swimming most mornings.  Equipment is fine and I think you can access other Everyone Active gyms too (worth checking) just in case you thought the extra drive was worth it for the newer kit.  They usually offer free passes to have a look around so give them a go.  If not, I get a free guest pass that is never used that you're welcome to.  Easy to be snooty at the council gyms, but the Coalville one is legit nicer than the Nuffield one.

Coalville is 18 months old isn’t it? I’ve been working on a leisure and tourism project for them. I really liked the place.

19 hours ago, Zear0 said:

Theres a free guest pass offer currently on as well. Might give it a spin.

I've recently joined PureGym in Coalville in an effort to get back to some degree of fitness after hitting 18 stone........... managed to pass out in there last Sunday which was fun!!

It's quite a small gym, but I like the fact that I can access it at whatever time fo the day I want... It removed the excuse that "it's not open early enough" or "it's closing soon".... 

I really do have to learn to love the gym though, it's very much a chore at the minute... not my idea of fun exercise!

1 minute ago, Greg2607 said:

I've recently joined PureGym in Coalville in an effort to get back to some degree of fitness after hitting 18 stone........... managed to pass out in there last Sunday which was fun!!

It's quite a small gym, but I like the fact that I can access it at whatever time fo the day I want... It removed the excuse that "it's not open early enough" or "it's closing soon".... 

I really do have to learn to love the gym though, it's very much a chore at the minute... not my idea of fun exercise!

What triggered the loss of consciousness?!

Nuffield on Abbey Lane run a free pain management course.

12 weeks , full use of facilities and twice weekly organised assistance in reducing pain.

Further 12 weeks free of charge with full use of facilities.

Reduced full membership at £25 after the 24 weeks.

I'm looking at joining a new gym also. Have been going to Braunstone leisure centre for over 5 years but it's far too busy now (mostly teens in groups sat on their phones).

I live in Glen Parva just outside of South Wigston. I'd love to rejoin David Lloyds at Meridian but prices are extortionate and I've heard it's gone downhill. 

Any recommendations within a 15 minute drive? Would happily pay £50 odd a month.

Have such a love/hate relationship with the gym.

Have the want to get that bit bigger and stronger and really enjoying that process.

But then not fully being happy putting a bit more bulk on around the stomach area as part of bulking up a bit. 

18 hours ago, deejdeej said:

I'm looking at joining a new gym also. Have been going to Braunstone leisure centre for over 5 years but it's far too busy now (mostly teens in groups sat on their phones).

I live in Glen Parva just outside of South Wigston. I'd love to rejoin David Lloyds at Meridian but prices are extortionate and I've heard it's gone downhill. 

Any recommendations within a 15 minute drive? Would happily pay £50 odd a month.

You’ve got everyone active in Enderby which is probably about the best one for that price point in that distance.

There is one in Wigston as well but it’s not as good.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, UniFox21 said:

Have the want to get that bit bigger and stronger and really enjoying that process.

But then not fully being happy putting a bit more bulk on around the stomach area as part of bulking up a bit. 

Unfortunately there isn’t really a way to get bigger and leaner at the same time hence the reason why people bulk and cut.

Pulled my back again doing deadlifts on Friday, even after lowering the amount I lift considerably compared to when I did it a few months ago.

Any tips on what similar exercises I can do? I do squats, lunges, inverted leg press etc already.

7 minutes ago, VLC86 said:

Unfortunately there isn’t really a way to get bigger and leaner at the same time hence the reason why people bulk and cut.

Unfortunately yeah, clean bulking as much as possible. I just have some body image issues which fluctuate massively anyway 

6 minutes ago, VLC86 said:

Pulled my back again doing deadlifts on Friday, even after lowering the amount I lift considerably compared to when I did it a few months ago.

Any tips on what similar exercises I can do? I do squats, lunges, inverted leg press etc already.

What variation of deadlift were you doing and are you looking at working on hamstring or quads more?

1 hour ago, UniFox21 said:

I share your pain but I managed the psychological aspect by finding a sport/training style to compliment the growth. I've competed in powerlifting for the last 6 years. I am at a decent level nationally. I now look at my body of a byproduct of my strength. Also lifting in a sport where there are weight categories also helps keep my weight steady.

The other, more boring way of doing it is tracking calories and gradually increasing, which will prevent a sudden weight gain.

2 minutes ago, Greg2607 said:

a 06:00 am Gym Visit without having eaten..... I pushed a bit too hard and forgot that i'm 42... not 22! 

I bet you've still got a full head of hair at 42 which is good enough in my book :appl:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, VLC86 said:

Have you tried a trap bar? I found it a good way to ease back into deadlifts after doing my lower back. It still works your glutes and hamstrings but the weight is more evenly distributed.