Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
WarehamFox

John McGinn

20 hours ago, henrik_62 said:

I've watched a lot of McGinn over the past few years, he's a very decent player but for the fees I've seen mentioned (£15-20m) I think it would be a crazy amount to pay for him.

I think he could hold his own at Leicester but I don't really see him improving your team all that much, I think technically and also his distribution in particular could be exposed a bit playing against a far greater standard of opposition in the EPL.

Celtic dithered on signing him in the summer, low balling their offer hoping his emotional attachment to the club would get him eventually make him sit tight and accept our offer when it came and it bit us on the arse when he got fed up and went to Villa.  That said, I wasn't at the time and am still not overly fussed on missing out on him as when everyone is fit I don't think he would play in our starting 11, McGregor (hands off btw!) for example is far better and greater technically.

Not that I want to lose him as he's a terrific player however if you have £20m to spend and you elect to spend that on McGinn as opposed to McGregor who I reckon we'd seriously consider selling at that sort of offer then I'd see that as madness.  McGregor has also performed at a far higher level, played superbly and scored goals in Europe against top sides like Bayern Munich, Leipzig, Monchengladbach, Zenit, etc.

OK, I,m sold, we will do a straight swap for one of our best midfielders, masses of experience in the premiere league, he will walk into your team.

His name? Matty James, he will walk into the team as he isnt fit to run

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, WestLothianFox said:

OK, I,m sold, we will do a straight swap for one of our best midfielders, masses of experience in the premiere league, he will walk into your team.

His name? Matty James, he will walk into the team as he isnt fit to run

:crylaugh:

On 16/04/2019 at 12:53, lcfc sheff said:

I’m hesitant of buying any Scottish players at this moment!

all jokes aside he’s certainly not the Ndidi replacement/competition needed.

Tbh I can understand this to an extent, the only Scottish players I'd say that are worth the gamble and would do well in the EPL and improve a top half club are Tierney, McGregor and Forrest.  Non-Celtic you can add in Fraser who is already proven at EPL level and has great numbers this season.

• 1 month later...
Guest SO1
On 18/04/2019 at 07:04, henrik_62 said:

Tbh I can understand this to an extent, the only Scottish players I'd say that are worth the gamble and would do well in the EPL and improve a top half club are Tierney, McGregor and Forrest.  Non-Celtic you can add in Fraser who is already proven at EPL level and has great numbers this season.

Agree. But they all need 2/3 months off as they've been playing practically non stop since Rodgers arrived at Celtic 3 seasons ago. 

Champions league qualifiers start the beginning of July. Crazy. Sad but its starting to show in the performance of the team lately.

13 hours ago, SO1 said:

Agree. But they all need 2/3 months off as they've been playing practically non stop since Rodgers arrived at Celtic 3 seasons ago. 

Champions league qualifiers start the beginning of July. Crazy. Sad but its starting to show in the performance of the team lately.

This is absolutely spot on.  Celtic players tend to get 10 days off every year because of it when you factor in internationals and it's beginning to take it's toll now.  I'm sure there was a story saying the last three seasons a Celtic player has played the most minutes in world football, Tierney, McGregor and this season Forrest.  Just about 70 games every season.

Still have my reservations about how he'd do at the top end of the EPL technically but must say gutted we missed out on him with the benefit of hindsight, £3m and he was ours as well.  Celtic doing what they always do with young Scottish Celtic supporters though and expecting it is their divine right to sign them and this one bit us on the arse.

On 18/04/2019 at 12:17, Bluearmyfox28 said:

Can’t see the need for this. Improve Hamza’s ability on the ball which I’m sure Brendan will do then there’s your understudy for Ndidi.

Hamza has arguably better ability on the ball than N'didi already, N'didi is just an octopus and is vital for breaking up other teams attacks

Edited by bfox
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...
42 minutes ago, HankMarvin said:

MCGINN & TONIC

Man Utd prepare bid for Aston Villa’s 5ft 6in workaholic John McGinn who will cost stunning £50m

Incredible.

And I’ve just read Palace want £100 million for Saha....

Ther has always been an increment in the prices of players but I do think that the iterative jump this season is disproportionate to others. Why is that?

On 28/05/2019 at 09:44, henrik_62 said:

This is absolutely spot on.  Celtic players tend to get 10 days off every year because of it when you factor in internationals and it's beginning to take it's toll now.  I'm sure there was a story saying the last three seasons a Celtic player has played the most minutes in world football, Tierney, McGregor and this season Forrest.  Just about 70 games every season.

Surely they be rested against pretty much all of the other teams in the SPL and Celtic would still win the title?.. And when playing the likes of Lochness United and Billy Connolly Town in the Scottish Cup? 

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, foxpleasure said:

And being no better than they were at the end of last season. I love it, I just love it!

With a manager who hasn't got a scooby. It is hilarious! I think he is Fergies glove puppet! Makes our chances of getting above them higher in my opinion. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Gazza M said:

With a manager who hasn't got a scooby. It is hilarious! I think he is Fergies glove puppet! Makes our chances of getting above them higher in my opinion. 

SAF’s best trait was getting the best out of players. His teams were either laden with talent or grafters with solid tactics in place. He won’t have the bearing he had on a squad by dictating to OGS. Long may it continue.