Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
UniFox21

Morgan offered new contract

7 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

I’d honestly be very comfortable with that. He’s had quite a decent season and it wouldn’t be a bad idea to keep him around for backup and cups. 

Echo these sentiments. He’s been nowhere near as bad as some make out. Wes alongside Evans was pretty solid whilst Slabhead was out injured. Whilst he shouldn’t be first name on the teamsheet having him as cover seems a sensible move by Rodgers, as long as Wes is willing to accept that. I wonder if we’ll see more of 3 at the back, clearly something he wants us to be able to utilise if required 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, AjcW said:

It must be strange for him coming to end of his career in an age where a defender is allowed to make mistakes as long as they can distribute from the back lol 

If an old fashioned defender was still all you needed to be he’d still be up there for sure, blocks, tackles... easy for him.

Pace is clearly his main issue at the minute. He looked fine in the 3, but got no chance in a 2 anymore! 

Think its a completely fine decision, and despite not being quoted on there Brendan said he’d be kept round as long as he understood he wouldn’t be a first teamer

45 minutes ago, FLAN said:

Ffs just get him gone. He’s embarrassingly out of his depth against any sort of quality now. Can’t believe Rodgers is suggesting this. Playing him was clearly a mistake last week and he now wants to keep him longer. 

He's gone properly down hill since he was part of the 2 that helped win against Man City and Chelsea three months ago. 

• Like 1

I can see why but wouldn't have given him one personally. Maguire, Evans, Benkovic, Soyuncu and Morgan is too many first team centrebacks whilst Knight and Hughes are pushing for a spot too.

• Like 1

Keep him around, we're not going to get another Wes Morgan again - what a unique and underappreciated player he turned out to be. He has shown his age this season and a half though, he's bounced back more than once but his back, his groin(was it against Huddersfield where he overextended it and disappeared for a few months last year?) have brought about issues that he never used to have in his early 30s. His 5 yard burst of pace is still there for his superb shot blocking but over ten yards and turning on the spot is looking a real struggle at this level.

So if the Club can show him the class he deserves, let him see himself out here on a wage which'll keep the beach bar in the Bahamas stocked up for the rest of his days. Keep him as Club Captain, play him when he can be up to standard - we can't really offer him much more, it he wants to play every week then fair enough and we still wave him off as a hero.

errm . . .32CCB3A800000578-3522275-image-a-28_1459

errrrrrm . . .

premier-league-wes-morgan-leicester-city

• Like 2

4 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

The guys hugely experienced, nothing on Gerrard in terms of playing career, but he's been around and at the top enough to be able to pass on words of advice to our vastly younger squad. 

He’s got one more Premier League title than Gerrard! 

Joking aside, he’s always benefited from a strong head / leader next to him. Huth improved him massively and I believe Evans helped to a similar degree.

Maguire doesn’t have the same prescnece. People rave about him as he’s good in the air and can pass a ball a bit. Defensively Wes has always been a better player.

• Like 1

Oh ffs.

He’s a legend and I respect him for what he’s done for us don’t get me wrong but it’s the end of the line, let him go.

This has been coming though and doesn’t surprise me one jot. It was only a matter of time.

I like this, keep him around the squad but don’t have him as a starter. I’m all for that, it’s just a shame he isn’t good enough to start anymore. He’ll always be a legend to us anyway - we need experience around our young squad. 

Wes has been wonderful for the club, but it is time to move on. We could use his high wages somewhere else. Plus he really has become ineffective. All opposing teams need to do is play it over his head or along side him and he is toast. His pace is just embarrassingly slow. If you have noticed his sprint back now is just a jog. Could use the squad position for younger fitter more athletic player.  We have a few potentially good young defenders coming through so I for one, think sadly, it's time to say goodbye to both Wes and Danny Simpson. To move forward we must be less sentimental. 

• Like 3

Chronic waste of a wage.  We have Kolo to offer experience to the younger CB’s.  If this transpires, Rogers must not play him in front of the younger players at the Club.   All I can think of is our Finances are healthier than we are led to believe.

Really see this as a backward step.  Only saving grace is, Rogers will not play Morgan over Benkovic, so hopefully there will not be a repeat of the Drago debacle.

This Club really does need to move, 2016 is history.

It was likely he would get offered a new deal, but I'm pleased it'll only be a one year deal with provisions he'll be a back up and voice for the younger players, as long as his influence doesn't conflict with Rodger's authority. 

Having said all that, from the games I've watched him play with Evans (apart from Newport) he's been good this season, and far better than when he is alongside Maguire.

5 hours ago, FLAN said:

Ffs just get him gone. He’s embarrassingly out of his depth against any sort of quality now. Can’t believe Rodgers is suggesting this. Playing him was clearly a mistake last week and he now wants to keep him longer. 

Was our best defensive spell not with him and Evans playing?

4 hours ago, Stadt said:

I can see why but wouldn't have given him one personally. Maguire, Evans, Benkovic, Soyuncu and Morgan is too many first team centrebacks whilst Knight and Hughes are pushing for a spot too.

If he is thinking of three at the back fairly often then we'd need 5 on the books. In fact I'd always have 5 anyway, so long as they are mix of those who won't expect to play all the time and starters.

6 hours ago, FLAN said:

Totally turgid waste of a comment. 

• Like 2

I don't mind this.

Problem is though Morgan is allegedly one of the players with too much influence at the club (along with Vardy and Schmeichel) so if Brendan go through a sticky patch or drops Morgan's mate Kasper, will we see the same player problems rear its ugly head again?

I think Maguire is probably on his way in the summer. I can see Man U coming back as they still haven't got that CB in. 

I think Morgan offers that experience in reserve. 

It also highlights what Rodgers seems to have noticed like many of us. We don't have many leaders around the club. I think Brendan will be looking to add some more experience to compliment the youth. 

52 minutes ago, Babylon said:

I'm liking Rodgers more and more, this is all hilarious.

In one day he's told all the idiots to stop moaning about backwards passes and now giving Wes a new deal.

Those who were militantly against Puel must be pretty conflicted right now about some of his comments. 

Post of the day so far ?

I can’t believe people are surprised by this, it was always going to happen. And rightly so.

He’s not going to feature as much that’s clear but this narrative that’s built up over the last couple of seasons that he’s past it is disrespectful and wrong, he still has much to offer, as a true clubman in the changing room and when needed on the pitch. 

He’s our premier league winning captain, he deserves our full respect. 

• Like 1