Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
UniFox21

Morgan offered new contract

surprised he isn't being offered a three year contract :ph34r:. one year isn't bad as long as we get some other experienced defenders and Morgan can rest for certain games. he has served this club extremely well but is coming to the end of his career.

obviously being captain and loyal with the club ,saving us many times only matters when your in form.

shame because I would of thought it did.anyways I cant see any problem with it myself,whether he plays every game or not.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Papasmurf said:

If we’re planning for next season he should be giving Soyuncu a run of games to really see what he can offer at this level. Playing Morgan is just going backwards. 

I think we will see more of lord Farquaad now. Morgan was played to nullify Deeney.

Yes, I know that didn’t quite go to plan.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

i thought we needed to cut salary in order to be=ring new and talented players in.

Our "management team" made so many mistakes when they gave everyone new and improved contracts after our title win. It's crippled us this year. 

Spurs owner maybe disliked but he's got his head screwed on with money. Reasonable wages (so easy to sell/offload) with fantastic bonuses for winning games!

He's still perfectly adequate as a 4th or so choice centre back and I don't actually think he's been noticeably worse than Maguire this season. My inner Luddite says I'd rather have sometime of his experience stepping in for a few games if someone picks up a knock than a totally untested academy defender, especially towards the business end of the season. That's if we actually do end up offering him something and he accepts it, of course. If it's in the budget and he's happy with starting fewer games I've no real issue with it.

• Like 1

Read a quote the other day where Rodgers said that he has to respect the legendary status some players have, but also look towards the future of the squad.... which I read as, offer contracts out of respect but with a view to not having them play a key role in the team anymore. Which is what this contract offer probably is, and sounds like a good idea.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, FLAN said:

Ffs just get him gone. He’s embarrassingly out of his depth against any sort of quality now. Can’t believe Rodgers is suggesting this. Playing him was clearly a mistake last week and he now wants to keep him longer. 

Trust in the Rodge

1 hour ago, Paddy. said:

What's the problem? Our title-winning  and arguably grestest ever captain gets offered a new deal on the understanding that he'll be used as mostly back up. Why are people so keen to dispense with his leadership and experience? Who cares what money he's on? You're not paying it and the club can afford it.

I take issue with a couple of points- how do we know it's on the understanding that he will be back up? He's still in the side costing us a goal every 3 games or so just as he was a year ago.

And can the club really afford it? We've had our hands tied with transfers this season due to having too much deadwood on big contracts.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Ted Maul said:

I take issue with a couple of points- how do we know it's on the understanding that he will be back up? He's still in the side costing us a goal every 3 games or so just as he was a year ago.

And can the club really afford it? We've had our hands tied with transfers this season due to having too much deadwood on big contracts.

Brendan has said he won't play as much.

I doubt we'd offer him a new deal if we couldn't afford it. Also, we don't know on what terms, might well be reduced if it's as a back up. There's no doubt Wes has had some duff games this season but he's also had some very good ones. He's obviously not the player he was but I'd argue he's not 'dead wood' just yet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, Paddy. said:

Brendan has said he won't play as much.

I doubt we'd offer him a new deal if we couldn't afford it. Also, we don't know on what terms, might well be reduced if it's as a back up. There's no doubt Wes has had some duff games this season but he's also had some very good ones. He's obviously not the player he was but I'd argue he's not 'dead wood' just yet.

It's fair enough if he's on reduced wages and not hindering Benkovic and Soyuncu's opportunities.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

“I’ve spoken to the club and I would like him to get a year. As long as he can respect and understand where he is in the team and what the role is, I would love to have him here,” he said.

Key extract here; this screams background role in the changing room rather than on the pitch.

The above or pushes him out the door as he wants 1st team football without alleniating him or his mates in the squad.