Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
GeorgeTheFox

Jamie Vardy Appreciation

17 minutes ago, sm1 said:

There was a moment in the 1st half when a ball was played down the flank for Vardy to chase for. He does and gets to the ball first, but instead of attacking the CB, he turns back and eventually the ball ends up at Ward's feet. He still has the enthusiasm and energy, but that turn of pace to skin the defender doesn't seem to be there anymore. I hope I'm wrong but I've a sneaky feeling this is Vardy's last season with us.

He’s very recently signed a contract until the end of next season, I don’t see any reason why this would be his last season and he wouldn’t go on til next season 

10 hours ago, hejammy said:

Honestly it really pains me to say this, but now I think it's time that Vardy is no longer a starter. He just doesn't have the legs in him now. When Nacho and Daka came on it felt like we possessed much more going forward. I love the guy but it's time to call it and say he's gotta be an impact sub at the most. Will struggle to get to 10 goals this season even if he starts most of the games. Sad to say it. 

You nail the reason vardy looked lost in you 3rd sentence. He would look so much better having a 2nd striker with him. Can't expect him to do the work of 2 men. Start him in a 2 and I'm sure you see a different Vardy. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, browniefox said:

You nail the reason vardy looked lost in you 3rd sentence. He would look so much better having a 2nd striker with him. Can't expect him to do the work of 2 men. Start him in a 2 and I'm sure you see a different Vardy. 

The problem is fitting other players into the team to be able to do that. A few years ago I would have said we have to build our team around Vards, but it's evident now that's not possible. Whilst I do agree he's possibly better in a 2, I would still start Nacho and Daka in a 2. Ironically I feel Vardy would actually score more goals this season coming on as an impact sub rather than starting games. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sampson said:

And it was the opposite last week when Vardy came on and gave us fresh impetus. He’s obviously not at his absolute peak anymore but there’s still plenty of life left in him yet. I think 10 goals isn’t exactly the end of the world, if it was with 6 or 7 assists would be a good return anyway.

Agree and I think that's more than achievable for him as an impact sub and starting the odd game or 2.

11 minutes ago, hejammy said:

The problem is fitting other players into the team to be able to do that. A few years ago I would have said we have to build our team around Vards, but it's evident now that's not possible. Whilst I do agree he's possibly better in a 2, I would still start Nacho and Daka in a 2. Ironically I feel Vardy would actually score more goals this season coming on as an impact sub rather than starting games. 

You say about the struggle of fitting players in, but you're saying start Daka and Kel? Why not Vardy and Kel? Or Vardy and Daka? 

I feel that Vardy is getting the shitty end of the stick due to be isolated, and that's not his doing. 

I do think though that it is time to start phasing him out though, so an impact sub role is the way forward. But play him in a 2 when he is playing. 

2 hours ago, browniefox said:

You say about the struggle of fitting players in, but you're saying start Daka and Kel? Why not Vardy and Kel? Or Vardy and Daka? 

I feel that Vardy is getting the shitty end of the stick due to be isolated, and that's not his doing. 

I do think though that it is time to start phasing him out though, so an impact sub role is the way forward. But play him in a 2 when he is playing. 

Daka and Vardy does not work. Both similar types of players making similar runs. I think by the end of your post you've basically said the same as me? :dunno:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hejammy said:

Daka and Vardy does not work. Both similar types of players making similar runs. I think by the end of your post you've basically said the same as me? :dunno:

I'm questioning how you say we can't play two up top to get Vardy the support but say we can play Daka and Kel? 

2 up top requires dropping another position if we play any 2 up there. 

He still could have had 4 or 5 goals this season but for poor finishing by his standards..... lack of confidence I suspect.

He mostly still gets to long balls but the spark is gone to race at the goal... it could be playing on his mind.

As most are saying, he would be best off in a two.

He could flourish as a fox in the box for another year or three. Get that finishing back and half the opposition defense will be tracking him again.... making space for others.

It will require clever use of subs, whether starting for 45 mins of hard graft or coming on late, the team must be set up to compliment the chosen forwards..

The interchanging  of Vards, Kelechi and Daka with the subsequent changes in midfield formations would make us less predictable too., make the opposition adapt to us.

Wont happen as an integral tactic, should have started last season in my view.

Might stumble on it by accident though

7 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Vardy isn't finished, far from it, but I think the notion he's a big game player or a player who is lethal against the elite is no longer accurate.

His record vs the better standard of teams has diminished significantly in the last 18-24 months and its no surprise. Vardy no longer has the pace to catch teams playing a high line or on the counter and where he does do well now vs the muck in this league is creating space for himself in the box and finishing but that's harder to do vs the better sides as positionally in situations like that, they are much more equipped to snuff out the supply line.

He'd no longer be 1st choice against the big 6 and I don't think I'd start him in many away games full stop, Daka seems much more dangerous against sides who will push up.

hmm..

that through ball on the 23rd-24th minute, Vardy of old would have raced into it and given himself the space to shoot and likely score but he didn’t he passed it out wide. 

I just don’t think he’s got what it takes to be the lone striker any more..

if you’re going to play 5-4-1, you definitely need to be playing the more nippy and pack Daka.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Vardy isn't finished, far from it, but I think the notion he's a big game player or a player who is lethal against the elite is no longer accurate.

His record vs the better standard of teams has diminished significantly in the last 18-24 months and its no surprise. Vardy no longer has the pace to catch teams playing a high line or on the counter and where he does do well now vs the muck in this league is creating space for himself in the box and finishing but that's harder to do vs the better sides as positionally in situations like that, they are much more equipped to snuff out the supply line.

He'd no longer be 1st choice against the big 6 and I don't think I'd start him in many away games full stop, Daka seems much more dangerous against sides who will push up.

If he doesn't get the service,like he did before, he nor any striker will perform

Miracles...There as been moments where we could,if,should,maybe turn games but our finishing as always been scratchy..Trying to pin point reasons...30k+ fans

30k+ different opinions & pub corner tables..

Edited by fuchsntf

8 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

Whether he's slowing down or not can we just give the guy the respect he deserves as our best ever player please? He's certainly had to change aspects of his game but he still poses a danger on his day 

I don’t think that’s what is being questioned here. No one is debating his legendary status. Just wether his time has come.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, hejammy said:

If we used Daka and Nacho to try and establish a lead, we could maybe play Vardy solo for 10-15 mins with an extra midfielder like a Maddison or Perez supporting just behind him, but to play him just as a solo striker from the start seems foolish.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, foxfanazer said:

Whether he's slowing down or not can we just give the guy the respect he deserves as our best ever player please? He's certainly had to change aspects of his game but he still poses a danger on his day 

Honestly the last thing I would want to do is play down his legendary status, for me the best player to play for our club in my lifetime (when I say best player I mean total of everything, skill set, attitude, devotion, loyalty amongst a whole heap of other things) Like I said in my first post, it really pains me to talk about him coming to the end of this magnificent time with us, but reality is reality and this is what it is. The start of the end. 

Edited by hejammy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I must admit I’ve noticed a bit of a change in Barnes for some time now. It’s almost as if he’s been told to focus on taking on and shooting. 

There were several moments when the easy option would be to try and play vardy in but it seemed like he’s been instructed to just get that shot off. 

A few years ago, everyone knew the mission was to get him the ball. It feels a little different now. 

Edited by Lambert09

14 hours ago, MPH said:

hmm..

that through ball on the 23rd-24th minute, Vardy of old would have raced into it and given himself the space to shoot and likely score but he didn’t he passed it out wide. 

I just don’t think he’s got what it takes to be the lone striker any more..

if you’re going to play 5-4-1, you definitely need to be playing the more nippy and pack Daka.

I agree and commented on it to my mate during the game.

Whilst I fully expected Vardy to start on Saturday, having come off the bench in his previous game, it really should've been Daka starting in that formation. He offers more pace, pressing and stronger running. With Vardy able to make an impact from the bench as a sub later in the game.

Defensively we executed our tactics well. It was our attack that failed to make more of our limited opportunities. Daka's greater pace could've made a difference. 

• Like 1

Rodgers style isolates the lone striker and of the 3 we have, Vardy is probably the most accepting of the role but long gone are the days the sheer sight of Vardy's name on a team sheet would panic defenders.

They know he won't cause much trouble because we struggle to even get him involved.