Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
GeorgeTheFox

Jamie Vardy Appreciation

5 minutes ago, Manley Farrington-Brown said:

He's always missed chances. All strikers - even the best - miss loads of chances. When they get three or four good chances a game though, missing some matters less because they'll score one or two, more often than not.

But when you only get one good chance every few games - suddenly a few misses and you've gone half a season without scoring.

So why is it his age that’s affected him? Or the chances he’s missed? 

Vardys strength is being on the end of a ball played into space behind the defence and out of reach from the goalie, it ain't his fault if balls are not being played quick enough in behind  to catch defenses out, everyone calling for left and right wingers basically misses the point that our main striker ends up being nullified because in the time it takes for a winger to push on, the oppo's defence has got back.

Just now, yorkie1999 said:

Vardys strength is being on the end of a ball played into space behind the defence and out of reach from the goalie, it ain't his fault if balls are not being played quick enough in behind  to catch defenses out, everyone calling for left and right wingers basically misses the point that our main striker ends up being nullified because in the time it takes for a winger to push on, the oppo's defence has got back.

Iheanacho seems to cope with average service from wingers.

Vardy at least had some all round play to his game past few seasons. Even that has gone. Endless back heel flicks yesterday that went staright to the opposition every time. I don't see what purpose he still serves to the current team. He would be better off finishing his career somewhere else that plays to whatever his remaining strengths are.

Vardy hasn't lost it! Yes he is in a poor run of form but to be fair to him we don't play to his strengths at all. 

Our style of play is suited to Iheanacho which is why when he comes into the side he tends to score goals

• Like 2

1 minute ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

Iheanacho seems to cope with average service from wingers.

Vardy at least had some all round play to his game past few seasons. Even that has gone. Endless back heel flicks yesterday that went staright to the opposition every time. I don't see what purpose he still serves to the current team. He would be better off finishing his career somewhere else that plays to whatever his remaining strengths are.

Iheanacho is more of a goal poacher so playing from the wings helps him. For Vardy, we could try mixing it up a bit by playing the odd ball behind the defence, or how about leaving vardy up on the halfway line at corners which at least keeps 2 of the oppos team back but gives him an opportunity to use what bit of pace he may still have. At one point in the Arsenal game, the whole of their team including the goalie was in our half at a corner! that's not right is it, we're not exactly offering a threat are we. 

11 minutes ago, lcfc-fan1126 said:

When maddison is out,iheanacho is our most creative player

Iheanacho and daka will score goals,daka had his best game for us against Moscow and he was playing alongside iheanacho in a front two

Have they not played together since?

Just now, bovril said:

Brighton. Both scored and I think Kel got an assist too.

correction - Daka set up Kel's first goal.

I would like to see Daka and Iheanacho starting. As others have said sans Maddison we are lacking the kind of creativity that Iheanacho can give us. The Vardy / Iheanacho partnership in 2021 came about because of injuries to Barnes and Maddison did it not?

7 hours ago, Tommy G said:

Bit OTT, hes our greatest ever player. He's finished, but shouldn't get any shitty treatment from the fans IMO.

Who said he's getting any? I'm merely saying he's sh1t now and we can appreciate everything he's done without wanting him playing still.

We are fighting relegation, no room for sentiment because that's literally all it is right now.

Edited by adejo92
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, bovril said:

correction - Daka set up Kel's first goal.

I would like to see Daka and Iheanacho starting. As others have said sans Maddison we are lacking the kind of creativity that Iheanacho can give us. The Vardy / Iheanacho partnership in 2021 came about because of injuries to Barnes and Maddison did it not?

Just beggars belief that we as fans can see these things from the outside but Brendan on the training ground can't 

We have gained so many points in the past from the Vardy "fear factor" and quite right too , he has often been lethal. Opposition defenses are a bit more relaxed these days about Jamie. We are now a club without a principal striker and that means leaner times. Although Heskey had his moments you have to go back 30 odd years to the era of Lineker and Smith. These sort of players are nearly impossible to find so to be competitive we have to make ourselves harder to score against and in truth our defensive stats have been getting worse season on season. We have three new defenders and basically a new goalkeeper so this is not likely to change quickly.

1 minute ago, An Sionnach said:

We have gained so many points in the past from the Vardy "fear factor" and quite right too , he has often been lethal. Opposition defenses are a bit more relaxed these days about Jamie. We are now a club without a principal striker and that means leaner times. Although Heskey had his moments you have to go back 30 odd years to the era of Lineker and Smith. These sort of players are nearly impossible to find so to be competitive we have to make ourselves harder to score against and in truth our defensive stats have been getting worse season on season. We have three new defenders and basically a new goalkeeper so this is not likely to change quickly.

PA-1174499.jpg

Tony Cottee was a great striker and if only he had been ten years younger when he came to us but his best years were with West Ham. I just think we have to find new ways of getting results without the ever present threat of Vardy. Barnes and Iheanacho can partially compensate but we must tighten up defensively.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, kingkisnorbo said:

So why is it his age that’s affected him? Or the chances he’s missed? 

Sorry, I thought that was clear.

Basically, being older makes him a bit slower and being a bit slower means he gets fewer chances. A few years ago if he missed the first chance he got in a match, he'd often get several more later on so it didn't usually matter that much. Now, that first chance - if he even gets any - might be the only one. If you convert, say, a quarter of your chances, which is pretty good going, and you get three or four chances in a match, you're likely to score quite often. If you only get one chance a game, and sometimes not even that, then scoring a quarter of them would get you - at best - a handful of goals over a season. And that's assuming he's as good as he used to be at converting the chances, which to be honest is, at best, hard to tell.

15 minutes ago, Manley Farrington-Brown said:

Sorry, I thought that was clear.

Basically, being older makes him a bit slower and being a bit slower means he gets fewer chances. A few years ago if he missed the first chance he got in a match, he'd often get several more later on so it didn't usually matter that much. Now, that first chance - if he even gets any - might be the only one. If you convert, say, a quarter of your chances, which is pretty good going, and you get three or four chances in a match, you're likely to score quite often. If you only get one chance a game, and sometimes not even that, then scoring a quarter of them would get you - at best - a handful of goals over a season. And that's assuming he's as good as he used to be at converting the chances, which to be honest is, at best, hard to tell.

I don’t see how age or fitness affects your ability to put a ball past a keeper. He’s been in dead cert positions numerous times and missed. Any player of any age should hit the target, imo.  

4 minutes ago, kingkisnorbo said:

I don’t see how age or fitness affects your ability to put a ball past a keeper.

I'm not saying it does! (although it might do; your reactions and speed of thought might drop). I'm saying that if you only get a fraction of the chances you used to (because of the age and fitness), you're only going to score a fraction of the goals you used to.

He always missed chances. All strikers miss chances. The problem now is that he no longer gets any other chances.

We don't play to his strengths. We have not for years!

In your job, (irrespective of what you are paid) you will lose enthusiasm if you are continually not supported and critiqued for your productivity. Or we could just suggest our best player in our history is just getting old... 

I love him. Best Leicester striker I have seen comfortably in my generation for the last 30 years.

However, the time has come for him to hang up his boots at Leicester and go for one last pay day abroad. So sad saying those words