Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
GeorgeTheFox

Jamie Vardy Appreciation

I think Shearer would have also not scored today with Ndidi playing in behind him. He will be top scorer this season but we looked so much better with Praet on the pitch. 

Personally I’d play both Ian and Vardy together but playing 2 strikers is evidently a myth these days. 

2 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

We would be getting a bit of a tune out of him if he were playing up front in a pair.

He's being asked to play alone up front and he isn't capable of that anymore. It also is a much harder ask for him to do this in the championship. 

He's 36. At what point do you accept that he's not cut out to be a starter anymore? A striker that doesn't offer much in the build up, and only scores goals if playing as a two, is probably not going to cut it at this point. 

I'm sure he'll play a part, but we shouldn't be relying on him to start anymore. Time waits for no man. 

• Like 1

Can’t really get on board with the idea he’s totally past it - there was a nice little dribble and lay off that showed he’s more than capable at this level.

But he just doesn’t suit this system. We don’t serve up the type of balls that suit his game. He should only be starting if we go with two up top.

9 minutes ago, Dames said:

He won’t reach double digits this season. Its hard to admit but he’s done and we can no longer afford to carry him or make excuses for him anymore. It contributed to our relegation and we can’t let it contribute towards staying down either. 

I dont think any of our players will be challenging the golden boot award. Personally think there will be a few in the 10-15 range

22 minutes ago, Charl91 said:

He's 36. At what point do you accept that he's not cut out to be a starter anymore? A striker that doesn't offer much in the build up, and only scores goals if playing as a two, is probably not going to cut it at this point. 

I'm sure he'll play a part, but we shouldn't be relying on him to start anymore. Time waits for no man. 

A striker that scores goals playing in a two is significantly more successful than one who doesn't score on his own.

The thread is about Vardy so I'm offering some comment on him and how he might be successful. 

• Like 1

I was really looking forward to seeing him play again at this level but if we’re not going to accommodate him by having someone play closer to him then I just can’t see him being influential enough other than an impact sub.

I’ll always love Vardy but the baton needs to be fully passed to Nacho now.

• Like 1

No striker in world football gets more leeway from fans for not being involved. It's always the system or everyone else for not getting the ball to him. I cam accept him not being much of a goal threat but he has to do the simple things, I know it isn't his strength but his link up playing is honking. 

• Like 2

I will only say vardy is past it when other players actually start playing the ball forward when he makes runs and he actually starts missing lots of chances. Countless times again he made runs in this game and the player with the ball either held onto it to long  so he was offside or passed to the side for the cross instead. You can have any of our strikers in the same position and if the ball isn't played to them when they makes runs the outcome will be the same. I don't understand why it has to keep happening so much and no one is telling the players to pass the ball forward quicker. Hopefully things will get better as games go on since there's  been a useless preseason.

• Like 2

Tbf quite a few runs in behind were ignored today.  He could easily have had a couple of good chances if players could see/play the pass.  It’s also unavoidable though that he’s nearing the end.  Still think he’ll contribute a fair bit this season.

• Like 2

People writing Vardy off make me laugh. 

He played today after not featuring in either squad for the games against Spurs and Liverpool so naturally will have been rusty. 

He still had a couple of chances and could of been on the score sheet.

Yes the system doesnt overly suit him but get a player aho is more creative in the side to replace Ndidi and you'll see Vardy get 20+ goals this season if he remains fit.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

No striker in world football gets more leeway from fans for not being involved. It's always the system or everyone else for not getting the ball to him. I cam accept him not being much of a goal threat but he has to do the simple things, I know it isn't his strength but his link up playing is honking. 

Never, I repeat never talk about Jamie Vardy and use the term honking again! 

I will talk to my grandchildren about that man.

grandchild- grandad, who was better out of Messi and Ronaldo? 

Me- Jamie Vardy was son, Jamie Vardy was. 

• Haha 1

He couldn't have done any better today with the service he was given and Cov sitting back for most of the 1st half as soon as we had the ball.  We stretched them massively in the first 15 or so and he looked potentially dangerous at that point but as soon as they sat back, no chance.

I think people questioning whether or not he can deliver this season is plain daft, as were many of the comments leading up to the game in the pre match thread.  He'll score more than 10 goals this season, no problem.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lee7 said:

People writing Vardy off make me laugh. 

He played today after not featuring in either squad for the games against Spurs and Liverpool so naturally will have been rusty. 

He still had a couple of chances and could of been on the score sheet.

Yes the system doesnt overly suit him but get a player aho is more creative in the side to replace Ndidi and you'll see Vardy get 20+ goals this season if he remains fit.

He didn't get 20+ goals last time we were in the championship, and we won it.

He's a much cleverer footballer now, but he also doesn't have the legs to run at people anymore, so it's highly unlikely he's going to get 20+ goals now... 

People make far too many excuses for Vardy. I understand why - he's our greatest ever player - but that sentimentality shouldn't cover that he's clearly way past his peak. 

The 🐐, but hasn’t been good enough for 18 months now. Scandalous that he’s starting for us at his age. Forget ‘no service’, he doesn’t hold it up, doesn’t run the channels, can’t win balls in the air and his link up play just isn’t there. He’s been amazing, the best ever, but his time is done. 

It must be depressing for Iheanacho.