Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
GeorgeTheFox

Jamie Vardy Appreciation

16 minutes ago, Charl91 said:

He didn't get 20+ goals last time we were in the championship, and we won it.

He's a much cleverer footballer now, but he also doesn't have the legs to run at people anymore, so it's highly unlikely he's going to get 20+ goals now... 

People make far too many excuses for Vardy. I understand why - he's our greatest ever player - but that sentimentality shouldn't cover that he's clearly way past his peak. 

A lot of people let sentimentality cloud their judgement and especially with Vardy who I agree is our greatest ever. 

But nobody stays at the top forever and the time has come for the team and club to move on and stop trying to accommodate him. He can still have an impact but his time as a starter is done. 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Charl91 said:

He didn't get 20+ goals last time we were in the championship, and we won it.

He's a much cleverer footballer now, but he also doesn't have the legs to run at people anymore, so it's highly unlikely he's going to get 20+ goals now... 

People make far too many excuses for Vardy. I understand why - he's our greatest ever player - but that sentimentality shouldn't cover that he's clearly way past his peak. 

I think he will but completely respect that you have a different opinion to me :thumbup:

Not making excuses for him. He wasn't great today and gave the ball away cheaply a few times. As i said in my previous post he looked rusty. 

I just feel that once we have an established first 11 and the team has settled if he remains as our main striker then he'll score most weeks. 

• Like 1

He should start scoring if we get a number 10 in and a RW . With our only attacking threat coming from wide positions no striker that plays on the shoulder will look good. He's a goalscorer. A prolific goalscorer and that won't have left him at all. He won't need the same pace as the Premier League. He will score for fun this season once he gets going if we just get the remaining players we need through the door. McAteer was decent yesterday but he looked just as we would expect him to look, a very decent prospect but not really ready to be starting yet if we have the right squad. We had nobody in an attacking role through the middle. Vardy has always played best with a Nugent, Okazaki or Maddison playing behind him. It's no surprise he looked isolated, he was. 

Edited by desertfox2
CAM
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

You will never find me saying a bad word about Vardy. He's done so much for us that he really is untouchable. Also he's been written off so many times but he always bounces back, wouldn't surprise me if he did it again 

I swear he's been "bouncing" back for about 4 years now. That should probably be a clue that his contributions are becoming more and more minimal. 

In his renaissance in the first half of Rodger's tenure, Vardy managed to massively influence the game, without really touching the ball - because he occupied the opposition defenders and could drag their backline around. And he only needed a couple of chances to lay on a key goal or assist. Back then it was like playing with 10 men, but it didn't matter because it got results.

He no longer occupiers the backline in the same way, needs more chances to score, is offside far more commonly because he's slower, so he has to risk going earlier to try and gain that space. Nowadays it is truly like playing with 10 men. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, filbertway said:

I swear he's been "bouncing" back for about 4 years now. That should probably be a clue that his contributions are becoming more and more minimal. 

Tbf he got 15 goals in 21/22 and 15 in 20/21

Its only last season he dropped off

On 06/08/2023 at 14:36, Dames said:

He won’t reach double digits this season. Its hard to admit but he’s done and we can no longer afford to carry him or make excuses for him anymore. It contributed to our relegation and we can’t let it contribute towards staying down either. 

Vardy has a place in the squad, it's just not as a starter a fresh Vardy coming on instead of Iheanacho, in that last breakaway chance Nacho had at 2-1 up probably scores I think.

• Like 1

Pretty much everyone saying the same - love vardy with an unreserved love but the time is now - kel has to be the number 1 choice cf if he is staying - he is exactly the forward we need in this formation - holds the ball up well and bring the wingers into play and give the 2 number 8s an option every time on the ball - insane if he doesn’t start Saturday- vards defo has a place in squad this year though no doubt - any time kel is knackered or not doing great you have vards there for rotation and something different but kel has to be first choice 

Edited by jv1

Guest Col city fan

My favourite ever Leicester player looks finally to be at the end of his career.

He’s stayed with us constantly, has been completely loyal and clearly loves the club and the surrounding area.

Alas, this season is going to be his last.

❤️

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Would’ve been interesting to see if the ref would’ve given the pen for him getting taken out before Casadei scored

Oh well, it goes down as assist for Vardy!

Who is our penalty taker if Nacho isn't on the pitch? Vardy has been reluctant recently, who out of the 11 would we even feel confident of scoring a penalty in the 93rd minute? Just aswell it turned out the way it did.

1 minute ago, Beachyboy said:

Who is our penalty taker if Nacho isn't on the pitch? Vardy has been reluctant recently, who out of the 11 would we even feel confident of scoring a penalty in the 93rd minute? Just aswell it turned out the way it did.

Casadei is meant to be pretty decent at them I think

Stepped up and scored a couple for Italy in the Under 20 World Cup over the Summer