Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
GeorgeTheFox

Jamie Vardy Appreciation

After yesterday anyone else think we might get back to a bit of the JV sh1thousery masterclass way of getting us those pens he always used to, especially now there is no VAR?

Does seem a bit of a coincidence we never saw it in the Prem but he's back on it without the VAR tech analysing everything! 

Bring it on I say!

Edited by ElusiveEd
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, eblair said:

Our greatest ever. We should all enjoy every additional game we get to see him play for our club

The above video only reiterates how insane his achievements are at the club:

Football league winner (first time we have won that trophy in our existence, aware of previous division 2 titles)

Hero of great escape

PL Winner 
PL top scorer

PL 100 club

PL record goalscorer for goals scored over age of 30

Did turn down move to big club

Played in 3 european competitions for us, including knockout games in each competition 

A* shithouser

My family have been going to city for 90+ years, no one has seen a better player for us than Vardy and I am sure I will never see someone come to close to him again. It is truly remarkable we got to enjoy a player of this calibre and story. No club outside top 6 have come close to anything like a Vardy in the PL era. Le Tissier was a god at Southampton but won zero trophies there.

Don’t forget his 11 it’s heaven scoring record, and the hat trick in leagues biggest ever away win at saints. 

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, ajthefox said:

Had a really good 2nd half today, made a couple of nice moves to get past their defenders late on.

Also wound up some yoofs who clearly had words with him by signalling the score in the last few minutes, much to the delight of the away end.

100% his movement was much better second half.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, eblair said:

Our greatest ever. We should all enjoy every additional game we get to see him play for our club

The above video only reiterates how insane his achievements are at the club:

Football league winner (first time we have won that trophy in our existence, aware of previous division 2 titles)

Hero of great escape

PL Winner 
PL top scorer

PL 100 club

PL record goalscorer for goals scored over age of 30

Did turn down move to big club

Played in 3 european competitions for us, including knockout games in each competition 

A* shithouser

My family have been going to city for 90+ years, no one has seen a better player for us than Vardy and I am sure I will never see someone come to close to him again. It is truly remarkable we got to enjoy a player of this calibre and story. No club outside top 6 have come close to anything like a Vardy in the PL era. Le Tissier was a god at Southampton but won zero trophies there.

Agree with all of this but not sure I’m so keen on the “enjoy every additional game we get to see him play for the club” 

whilst I fully agree from the context of him being a club legend and it’s a pleasure to see him in the shirt, ultimately he’s on extortionate wages for this league, doesn’t look like he suits the system we want to play, and the 3 strikers we have are hoarding a huge weekly wage bill between them. As much as I love Vardy, watching him struggle in the championship really isn’t how I want to see him end his career here, but it looks like he wants to stay so I guess we have to honour that given what he’s done for us. Hopefully it isn’t to the detriment of the club if his wages are not a stumbling block. I really don’t want to end up having to sell players we could have kept and done well with just to free up some financial space. 

• Sad 2

Struggled to get into the game in the 1st half and too be honest when watching him, I actually thought to myself how sad I was to see him struggling to effect games even against league 2 opposition, however I couldn’t have been more delighted to see him pop up with a quality 2nd half performance, where he seemed to come alive and look more involved, score a goal and also could have had a great assist for Yunus. 

Given his age, he isn’t going to be able to play week in, week out but last shows there is still a lot of life left in him yet and that goal clearly gave him confidence, arguably his 2nd half performance albeit against lower league opposition, was the marker for what is required from a striker in Enzo’s system and also showed that chances will be created for them. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, cityfanlee23 said:

Agree with all of this but not sure I’m so keen on the “enjoy every additional game we get to see him play for the club” 

whilst I fully agree from the context of him being a club legend and it’s a pleasure to see him in the shirt, ultimately he’s on extortionate wages for this league, doesn’t look like he suits the system we want to play, and the 3 strikers we have are hoarding a huge weekly wage bill between them. As much as I love Vardy, watching him struggle in the championship really isn’t how I want to see him end his career here, but it looks like he wants to stay so I guess we have to honour that given what he’s done for us. Hopefully it isn’t to the detriment of the club if his wages are not a stumbling block. I really don’t want to end up having to sell players we could have kept and done well with just to free up some financial space. 

I don't think he's struggled any more than Kelechi. In fact I'd say, bar the Cov game, we've been brighter with him on the pitch (though I understand that tiredness in the opposition's legs has played its part too). None of our strikers have had much supply, but when he's come on as a sub he's caused lots of problems, and on several occasions now that's been when we've gone and won games.

As for keeping him at the expense of Kelechi, Wilf or whoever else, the difference is that we have no chance of drawing a significant fee for Vardy, but we do for them. We have little to lose by keeping him, and a lot from keeping some of the others. The board are trying to bankroll new longer-term signings and, as best they can, avoid the scenario which saw us lose Youri, Perez and co for nothing.

• Like 1

All I realistically want from Vardy this season, is to stay fit and sharp and give us 20-30mins from the bench at whatever full throttle he is now capable of. 

If he can do that, he will get a good 12+ goals and even though he is at the end of his career, opposition defences will hate seeing him come on!  

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, bovril said:

171 goals for a single club is still incredible. Drogba got 164 for Chelsea, Wright 185 for Arsenal. I didn't think I'd see someone ever get that close to 200 for Leicester.

Which is why Harry Kane is incredible with 200+ goals at Spurs, and only in about a decade too. Even more unbelievable as all were top flight goals. 

Rowley scored 265 for us in just 8 seasons which is incredible, though I believe 2 of these seasons were top flight? Compared to Chandler who scored most of his goals in the top flight.

Obviously both are years ago so what would have been interesting is if Lineker stayed for an extra two or three seasons. He scored 22 and 24 in a mid table top flight team which is incredible. 

It's great to see a player now, Vardy, as our third highest goalscorer. I can't see anybody scoring more in my lifetime, just like I never thought I'd never see a player score that many. Regular goalscorers are usually picked off by bigger clubs, especially at top flight level.

5 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Which is why Harry Kane is incredible with 200+ goals at Spurs, and only in about a decade too. Even more unbelievable as all were top flight goals. 

Rowley scored 265 for us in just 8 seasons which is incredible, though I believe 2 of these seasons were top flight? Compared to Chandler who scored most of his goals in the top flight.

Obviously both are years ago so what would have been interesting is if Lineker stayed for an extra two or three seasons. He scored 22 and 24 in a mid table top flight team which is incredible. 

It's great to see a player now, Vardy, as our third highest goalscorer. I can't see anybody scoring more in my lifetime, just like I never thought I'd never see a player score that many. Regular goalscorers are usually picked off by bigger clubs, especially at top flight level.

I think about 200 of Rowley's goals were in the second division, in the 50s, so probably not the highest quality of football. And Chandler was back in the 20s when large scores were more common and probably lots of defences were not much better than semi pros. Vardy is undoubtedly our greatest striker. I think Banks is the only player that comes close to his status for us. 

As you say it'll be very rare in the future that a player scores that many for a club like us.

Edited by bovril
  • Like 2