Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
GeorgeTheFox

Jamie Vardy Appreciation

To be fair to him and our wingers, Leeds defended incredibly well. They were organised and had high energy throughout. 

Nacho also struggled when came on. All our attacking players could have done more of course, but big credit to Leeds on how they defended. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Bloody hell, football fans are fickle.

Yeah, he was pretty shite tonight, but I'm betting he'd be the first person to acknowledge that and I bet he's fuming.

We know Vardy's strengths, they were never going to work against Leeds at home.

Maybe that's partly on the manager.

Whilst of course he isn't immune to criticism, I think he's got enough in the bank for us to cut him some slack.

And there were another 10 players on the pitch who didn't exactly cover themselves in glory.

What's annoying is, literally the minute he went off and Kel came on, we played a ball over the top for Kel. Why were we not doing that to Vardy? 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, inckley fox said:

No striker could have prospered in that game.

I get that but he was scruffier with the ball tonight than he generally has been under Enzo. He didn’t try and hold the ball up and a few wayward first time lay-offs put us under pressure and on the back foot.

Love vards but it’s over, he’s on target for 12 goals this season but I doubt he will even get that, he’s not looked interested at times. 70k a week is a monumental wage for someone who will likely struggle for double figures. I get that teams often sit in a low block and that doesn’t suit him or us, but with that said, we could all see that coming, so it just doesn’t make sense to have him taking up such a huge wage. 
Vardy, Daka and Kel must be taking home close to 140k a week and they have 9 goals. Id rather we agreed a mutual termination than see him go out with a whimper like this. 

I know he wanted to stay and help us, but on his wages is he helping or hindering compared to if we had just bought another striker.

3 minutes ago, lozzyblue fox said:

Let's face it Vardy is finished.

Last few games he dosnt look interested.

Bring him on for last 10 when winning but not to start.

Totally disagree that he isn't interested. 

A new manager has come in and made judgement. It would be tough for him to move on Vardy, but he's given him the armband whenever he starts.

He is coming to the end of his career, but he's still got a lot left to offer.

The team hasn't performed well for a few games, it isn't solely on Vardy being old.

He'll score some very important goals this season.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

Not a fan of him In this system, without space to attack he's a passenger, we need a more subtle player like Kel up there. 

Vardy played better than Kel. But that isn't really saying much and both should be disappointed with how they played. I think the reality is in this sort of game neither are going to shine. interested to see how Canon develops.

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/11/2023 at 23:24, cityfanlee23 said:

Love vards but it’s over, he’s on target for 12 goals this season but I doubt he will even get that, he’s not looked interested at times. 70k a week is a monumental wage for someone who will likely struggle for double figures. I get that teams often sit in a low block and that doesn’t suit him or us, but with that said, we could all see that coming, so it just doesn’t make sense to have him taking up such a huge wage. 
Vardy, Daka and Kel must be taking home close to 140k a week and they have 9 goals. Id rather we agreed a mutual termination than see him go out with a whimper like this. 

I know he wanted to stay and help us, but on his wages is he helping or hindering compared to if we had just bought another striker.

So you would rather pay up his contract and ask him to do nothing than pay him to be part of the squad? Are you quite sure about that?

On 03/11/2023 at 23:24, cityfanlee23 said:

But why would Vardy choose to rip up his contract? His only other big money option would be to go to Saudi Arabia. So why would he leave Leicester City before the end of his contract? I find that highly unlikely. 

I don't accept that an ageing Jamie Vardy or Iheanacho have become poor strikers overnight, particularly in the Championship! 

I really believe that it's merely thus far the tactics being used that don't play out to their strengths. We know what Vardy's game was when he was scoring for fun and it wasn't similar to his last match at Leeds where he was playing so deep I even saw him in the right back position on two occasions!

He's commendably, rightly, like Iheanacho, following orders. Orders that have led us to the top of the table despite two losses.

Usually, you're strikers are the main source of goals because in the past they've usually been the focal point and usually the best at shooting and taking their chances by definition. 

The way Man City have played in the past however is such that their goals come from midfield almost as much as any striker at times, in fact they've played with no strikers at all sometimes or false number 9s! Even Vardy and Iheanacho have to try and learn and adapt. 

The difference is, Manchester City have had world class midfielders and we haven't. They were also well drilled over a long period of time, ours have been together five minutes.

It's also at times reminded me of watching Arsenal in the past to some extent ie they weren't just happy to score, they wanted it to be a pretty goal and almost walk it into the net. They're learning and adapting.

We do at times need to stop the excessive mincing around passing in the final third and sometimes just get it into the box and have a crack I think but, on occasions, there just hasn't been anyone there, particularly Vardy or Iheanacho as they've been employed on other duties they're getting used to.

Perhaps they will adapt? Perhaps they just aren't suited to this system of play? Perhaps Canon will be? Time will tell and Maresca, who I'm still overall very very happy with, will perhaps tweak things. 

It's still very early days into the reign of a new manager who inherited a depressed relegated side, with a good proportion of his squad having disappeared and the remainder arguably in disarray and some gagging to get away. New young incoming players needing to find their feet and also learn new methods of play. None of this is achievable overnight. 

Our initial Phoenix from the Ashes has to some extent obscured the reality of the situation somewhat. At the start of the season if we'd have been sitting in the top 6 at Christmas I personally, with all the upheaval, would have said that Maresca was doing a great job and would be optimistic for a strong second half to the season and possibly a play off place. We really were that bad lest we forget. 

A lot of the dross and problems like Rodgers and Tielemans etc have gone. The depression cloud has been lifted and we seemingly have a bunch of players that are singing from the same song book who appear happy, optimistic and willing to fight. We've lost two games against two decent teams, it was always going to happen, even to the best teams. A long way but an adventure ahead after two year of dire play, division and depression. Don't let's get ahead of ourselves. There's currently a lot to be happy about. 😊 

Edited by volpeazzurro
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Harpenden Fox said:

So you would rather pay up his contract and ask him to do nothing than pay him to be part of the squad? Are you quite sure about that?

Mutual terminations don’t often pay up the full sum, they often come to an agreement to pay a smaller amount upfront which costs the club less. And pays the player a good lump sum, for some players that allows them to make more money over the same period of time given the amount of time they then have for other big paying gigs. 

I don’t really think Vardy is about the money though, but it’s not working for him and hasn’t been for a while now. 

but with such a short period of time left it’s probably worth him sticking around.