Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
GeorgeTheFox

Jamie Vardy Appreciation

2 hours ago, dannythefox said:

None of our strikers are the issue it’s the system, a striker will struggle to score goals the way we set up. We struggle to get another player close them to set them up. Thats what happens when you only play one up top.

In this system the strikers aren't the predominant scoring outlet and you expect the striker to play a different role. The striker needs to be a quick thinker, have pace, be skillful, being able to doth drop deep and get back towards the box at speed. 

To play this role i think the striker needs to be really thick skinned. If something doesn't work, dust yourself down and get on with it. If your head drops you are doomed.

Nacho was very much a problem against Borough.  He didn't play the role well at all and looked lethargic and struggled with the complexities of what he's been asked to do. Good decision making has never been his forte. 

The system works, but our strikers aren't consistent enough in it. Both Vardy and Nacho have showed glimpses of it working (I think it was against Preston where Nacho seemed to click) but on the whole its not been great. We should NOT be building any system around Nacho (who has largely been dreadful for some time) and Vardy (who edges towards retirement). 

The striker position is very much a work in progress and be interesting to see how Canon develops and who we replace Nacho with when we sell him in January.

Edited by Chelmofox
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Chelmofox said:

In this system the strikers aren't the predominant scoring outlet and you expect the striker to play a different role. The striker needs to be a quick thinker, have pace, be skillful, being able to doth drop deep and get back towards the box at speed. 

To play this role i think the striker needs to be really thick skinned. If something doesn't work, dust yourself down and get on with it. If your head drops you are doomed.

Nacho was very much a problem against Borough.  He didn't play the role well at all and looked lethargic and struggled with the complexities of what he's been asked to do. Good decision making has never been his forte. 

The system works, but our strikers aren't consistent enough in it. Both Vardy and Nacho have showed glimpses of it working (I think it was against Preston where Nacho seemed to click) but on the whole its not been great. We should NOT be building any system around Nacho (who has largely been dreadful for some time) and Vardy (who edges towards retirement). 

The striker position is very much a work in progress and be interesting to see how Canon develops and who we replace Nacho with when we sell him in January.

Thing is, none of this was a surprise back in the summer. More and more looking like a mistake to not sign a 'starting quality' striker. 

Vardy - Old and always at risk of becoming or being 'past it' at any point this season

Nacho - massively inconsistent

Daka - totally out of favour

Maybe we'd maxed out spending/wages unless Nacho or Daka went...which obviously didn't come to fruition

The one thing that so stands out to me..over these games,where

Nacho has got the nod, the chances that have fell to his feet and he has failed to convert has failed to get his feet working together,or has ghosted around,instead of

getting himself into the game showing he his prepared to fight for that space,when opportunity arises…

Hes had good games,good moments,but he should be on 10 goals already,where more clear cut chances came along,than for Vardy..

Maybe just run of the ball,flow of the game,but Vardy has had very few chances

tp convert,compared to Nacho and midfield delivery on occasions for Vardy have been over hit,or just slightly off & in the wrong channel.

Nacho as mentioned could be around 10-12 goals & leading the pack

Vardy though no where near top Ranking still should have had 7-9 goals

though none from Vardy side which would have prevented loss against Leeds or M’borough.

I do believe,sometimes if it isn’t clicking for them..then earlier subs,are a must

(60 minutes) either Daka, or a Mcateer,Agun, or off piste replacement.

We have Cannon coming into the fold,let’s see what his presence can do

though again occasionally using Agun or Mcateer in the role wouldnt

go amiss IMO..

Not forgetting often in a lot of teams,something clicks and a Vardy

scenario starts to work…

At present,much as I want him to kick-start something,Nacho is getting

nearer to his 9 lives,in my view if he was put on the Back burner for a few

games..he rides the bench for awhile,I wouldn’t be suprised..

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

Thing is, none of this was a surprise back in the summer. More and more looking like a mistake to not sign a 'starting quality' striker. 

Vardy - Old and always at risk of becoming or being 'past it' at any point this season

Maybe we'd maxed out spending/wages unless Nacho or Daka went...which obviously didn't come to fruition

We had a lot of activity in the summer. There was talk of Piroe and talk of both Daka and Nacho going. I think what the manager wanted didn't really materialise, or Canon was one of a few changes they managed to make work. Maybe the compromise was to work with Nacho to see if development was possible, but its clear they wanted Daka out but couldn't make it happen.

IMO we keep Vardy who i think will leave at the end of the season. A massive priority needs to be offloading Daka and Nacho, and recruiting someone who is suited to the system.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

I hate to think how much we are paying to our strikers who are contributing basically nothing.

Vardy has done so much, and at 37 shouldn't be our main striker but we're in a position where any replacment hasn't done enough to cement themselves as his replacement. I feel for Vardy in that sense.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Gamble92 said:

Done a bit more for the club than you have Raj.

Don't bring up your 40p contribution to the collection tins when we went into administration again either.

Feel better after that?

What a strange post.

Relax and respond in a more timely fashion if your going to try and make someone look a d1ck for one negative comment towards a player everyone KNOWS is a club legend.

Edited by Raj

1 hour ago, Chelmofox said:

Hard to disagree with this mate. For me I want to see two strikers on the pitch it offers loads more opportunities. But I can’t see that happening, hopefully cannon give us a massive boost. 

14 minutes ago, dannythefox said:

Hard to disagree with this mate. For me I want to see two strikers on the pitch it offers loads more opportunities. But I can’t see that happening, hopefully cannon give us a massive boost. 

I think Vards and Nacho played together for about 10 minutes on Saturday. Did that leave you with a thirst for more :punk: (appreciate it wasn't 2 up top!)

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, messerschmitt said:

People forget how long it took Klopp, Pep and Arteta. For me, Maresca is doing far better than I had dared hope for. Not sure what some people expect.

I absolutely agree. Manchester City, despite all the investment were no overnight success. Pep and Klopp, even with investment have taken time to get where they are. 

In comparison, Maresca is trying to do it on universal credit 🤣. You can't play champagne and oyster football with beer and chips players but what you can do is develop recruitment wise like we used to and get the best out of what you've got, sometimes accepting that for certain games, you have to slightly alter your approach due to the superiority of opposition players. Maresca too is also learning. 

Edited by volpeazzurro
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Nod.E said:

Chelsea vs Man City finished 4-4. Both played one up top. 

1 up top does not mean a flat 4-5-1 in 2023. It's not the isolated, snatch and grab nonsense you'd see from defensive setups of yesteryear. 

Not many teams play with two strikers at all. It's rare. Are there fewer goals in football? Of course not.

The main variation to 1 up top is 3 'forwards' in a 4-3-3 or 3-4-3. I mean think about it, how many current strike partnerships can you name? There can't be many.

There's nothing wrong with our system, our final ball just isn't there at the moment. We don't play with an attack-minded 8, because the only one we have has been crap so far in Casadei. KDH, for the goals he scores, is actually a terrible passer of the ball. He's an odd footballer in the sense that he scores the goals you'd want from a 10, but you'd never play him in that slot because of his passing and vision. We lack that vision and ability to thread a pass. It's our missing part. Meanwhile, to say our wingers have blown hot and cold would be being generous.

Didn't see Haaland complaining last year about his lack of a strike partner when he broke all those records anyway. The game has moved on since Crouch & Defoe, Heskey & Owen and Quinn & Phillips. 

About time we put this dated opinion to bed once and for all.

:appl:Perfect.

On 15/11/2023 at 11:25, Chelmofox said:

The striker needs to be a quick thinker, have pace, be skillful, being able to doth drop deep and get back towards the box at speed. 

The other option is a striker who is really good in the air and physical. That would be your striker that scores a lot of headed goals from crosses or corners. The kind of player who wins headers against defenders in any position on the field (our current strikers won't even contest a high ball sent up field). The kind of player that can secure and hold up the ball ready to feed the pace players from midfield. 

Today, our strike force is pretty isolated, cannot outpace opponents, cannot muscle out opponents to gain a high ball and cannot score plenty of goals from headers. Actually, they just cannot score with our from the back play style. So, I'd see a number nine who can win the high ball in any position on the park and score plenty of headers in a season as a massive leap forward in our game plan and play.

Edited by Bazly

On 15/11/2023 at 08:26, messerschmitt said:

People forget how long it took Klopp, Pep and Arteta. For me, Maresca is doing far better than I had dared hope for. Not sure what some people expect.

People don't forget but these managers didn't take time. Klopp took over a shocking Liverpool team and guided them to two finals in the same season. Pep finished third in his first season and then won the league the following season. Arteta won the FA Cup in his first season.

You're putting Maresca against names who delivered there, though I do get your point. If we get promoted this season then Maresca will have delivered. Then we work on that. We have not seen Maresca in the Premier League. Last season we were told how Vincent Kompany is the next best thing and will one day manage Man City. Look how that's turned out.

Long way to go yet. First objective is for us to get out this league.

Edited by Fox92
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

I absolutely agree. Manchester City, despite all the investment were no overnight success. Pep and Klopp, even with investment have taken time to get where they are. 

In comparison, Maresca is trying to do it on universal credit 🤣. You can't play champagne and oyster football with beer and chips players but what you can do is develop recruitment wise like we used to and get the best out of what you've got, sometimes accepting that for certain games, you have to slightly alter your approach due to the superiority of opposition players. Maresca too is also learning 

These aren't 'beer and chips' players at Championship level though. We just bought 2 England internationals in Winks and Coady, and we must be paying them a fair old wedge to have got them to drop down a division. We've got £38m in Daka and Souttar that we don't even use. This is the most expensive squad of players in Championship history, both in terms of wages and transfer outlay. The other 23 managers in the Championship would give their right nut to have even half the budget we have.

Talking of Jamie Vardy, is there anywhere on the forum I can peddle a sale of signed Vardy boots? I won a pair on Friday night at auction. I got a bit carried away in the bidding. Not really a collector. I was gonna either pop them in a perspex box and display them (not sure my wife would approve) or flog them...currently on ebay if anyone is interested or PM me here. I'd sooner sell to a Leicester fan and also local. Never used ebay and not sure I trust it.

2 minutes ago, Lcfcwatto said:

Talking of Jamie Vardy, is there anywhere on the forum I can peddle a sale of signed Vardy boots? I won a pair on Friday night at auction. I got a bit carried away in the bidding. Not really a collector. I was gonna either pop them in a perspex box and display them (not sure my wife would approve) or flog them...currently on ebay if anyone is interested or PM me here. I'd sooner sell to a Leicester fan and also local. Never used ebay and not sure I trust it.

P.s Comes with a certificate of authenticity from the Club