Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
GeorgeTheFox

Jamie Vardy Appreciation

Keeping Vardy fit?

“It’s important to keep every player fit. Jamie doesn’t need any special words from me about his capability. In terms of keeping him available and keeping him fresh, it’s going to be important. He’s an older player and he understands his body well. We have to work with him to do what’s right by him. In my experience of him, he really enjoys games and what it takes to get ready for a game. He understands I work and what’s required. We’re getting to know all the players to know what they require to be ready. It will be different because of the pre-season he’s had. He’s a game player. We need to keep him ready.”

No choice but to start Vardy?

“It’s just about working together. There’s so much work that goes in now to the daily operation of a player, from the tactical side and the physical side, from the data that’s recorded every day. But you have to listen to Jamie’s opinions as well. With an older player, you can talk about age and capabilities, but we’re really positive about his capabilities and I don’t mean the obvious around his goal-scoring, but about how fit he looks, how sharp he looks.”

• Like 1

On 21/08/2024 at 20:13, Ted Maul said:

The more I think about that, the crazier it is.

THE most deadly striker in the top flight of English football over 2 entire decades. By at least 2.1% as well. And he plays for an unfashionable club somewhere in the midlands.

I don't think it's that surprising, aside from the odd unexpected shot Vardy generally only shoots if it's a fairly open opportunity. You don't see him trying to shoot through bodies or trying long rangers.

I doubt the data exists, but I'd wager that Vardy's average xG is significantly higher than most strikers.

15 minutes ago, filbertway said:

I don't think it's that surprising, aside from the odd unexpected shot Vardy generally only shoots if it's a fairly open opportunity. You don't see him trying to shoot through bodies or trying long rangers.

I doubt the data exists, but I'd wager that Vardy's average xG is significantly higher than most strikers.

This is because he has a good footballing IQ. Loads of bodies in the way or in a stupid shooting position? Pass!

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, filbertway said:

I'd imagine the amount of opportunities he's had is significantly lower than strikers playing for the top clubs in that time. I don't know how xG works, is it only calculated if you take a shot?

Edited by Ted Maul

37 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Yes it's a trade off. Vardy only averages 2.12 attempts per 90 for his PL career, with an average xG of 0.19 per attempt. Compare that to Kane, who averages 3.78 attempts per 90 with an average xG of 0.13.

So Vardy tends to go for quality over quantity.

Someone like Haaland gets both quality and quantity, averaging 3.84 attempts per 90 in the PL, with an average xG of 0.20 per attempt.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, FOXSE said:

This is because he has a good footballing IQ. Loads of bodies in the way or in a stupid shooting position? Pass!

Yeah I don't disagree - but I'm just adding context to the stats.

24 minutes ago, Ted Maul said:

I'd imagine the amount of opportunities he's had is significantly lower than strikers playing for the top clubs in that time. I don't know how xG works, is it only calculated if you take a shot?

xG is only be calculated when a shot is taken yes, it would be interesting to see if xG could be calculated when opportunities present themself, but that'd be a hell of a chore to mark down :D 

17 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Yes it's a trade off. Vardy only averages 2.12 attempts per 90 for his PL career, with an average xG of 0.19 per attempt. Compare that to Kane, who averages 3.78 attempts per 90 with an average xG of 0.13.

So Vardy tends to go for quality over quantity.

Someone like Haaland gets both quality and quantity, averaging 3.84 attempts per 90 in the PL, with an average xG of 0.20 per attempt.

Haha love that you found the stats and I'm glad that my eyes haven't been failing me lol Nice one. Funnily enough, Kane was the exact person I was comparing him with mentally. 

Out of interest what was the source you used?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, filbertway said:

Yeah I don't disagree - but I'm just adding context to the stats.

xG is only be calculated when a shot is taken yes, it would be interesting to see if xG could be calculated when opportunities present themself, but that'd be a hell of a chore to mark down :D 

Haha love that you found the stats and I'm glad that my eyes haven't been failing me lol Nice one. Funnily enough, Kane was the exact person I was comparing him with mentally. 

Out of interest what was the source you used?

fbref

Each player's shooting stats are available on their page if you scroll down a little.

• Thanks 1

Brace yourselves. 

I said it last season and I'll say it this one too.

It's going to hurt. 

No other club has had a player like this. He's irreplaceable. Utterly unique. It's going to hurt when he's done. Enjoy every single minute he's on the pitch this season because it's just about done.

Jamie - it's been a ****ing pleasure.

Just now, foxile5 said:

Brace yourselves. 

I said it last season and I'll say it this one too.

It's going to hurt. 

No other club has had a player like this. He's irreplaceable. Utterly unique. It's going to hurt when he's done. Enjoy every single minute he's on the pitch this season because it's just about done.

Jamie - it's been a ****ing pleasure.

F'kin hell mate! Do you go around Nurseries telling kids that one day their gran will die, too? 

• Haha 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...