Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Head of Recruitment

Brendan Rodgers provides the latest in Leicester City's search for head of recruitment

A list of potential targets is being drawn up despite the absence of a transfer head

image.jpg

Brendan Rodgers has revealed Leicester City are making progress in appointing a new head of recruitment.

City have been looking to replace Eduardo Macia since his departure to Bordeaux in March and Rodgers said City were talking to potential candidates.

City face a busy summer in the transfer window as Rodgers looks to strengthen his squad and Rodgers hopes a new head of recruitment will be on board soon, but he said the departure of Macia has not affected preparations for the summer as a list of possible targets is being drawn up.

Rodgers' former colleague at Celtic, Lee Congerton, has been tipped to be one of the contenders.

“I know the club is progressing with some candidates, but there is nothing new to add,” said Rodgers.

“There is still work going on behind the scenes and we have a number of recruitment staff still here compiling the list for the types of players, and then the club will appoint someone hopefully soon.

“The club is working very hard behind the scenes identifying the types of players we can bring in, but that is ongoing.

“The club will ask my opinion on it. I will always work with the club on identifying the talent and people coming in hopefully can bring the talent in, but ultimately it will be the decision of the club, but I am happy with that.

“My strength is working with players and being on the grass and dealing with them.

“It is a separate skill-set and then we have people who can bring the players in.

“The club have done well on that front so hopefully it can continue.”

On the list will be trying to do a deal to make Youri Tielemans’ stay at City permanent.

Tielemans has provided five assists and scored twice since joining on loan in January and City want to make the move permanent, but his form has alerted other clubs and Monaco will hold out for the best offer this summer.

However, Adrien Silva has also done well at Monaco on loan as part of the trade and City hope to make him part of the deal to tempt the French club, although Rodgers said there was no new news.

“I am not aware on anything on that, and there is nothing new on Youri,” he added.

• Like 1

'Head of Recruitment' always seems like a Mickey Mouse, made up role to me.

The recruitment team identify targets, Rodgers and his staff have their input, then Rudkin weaves his magic with the O.K. from Whelan & Top.

Not sure why you need the added expense of a 'Head' of recruitment*

(*Although I'm sure some experts on here will explain why we do :rolleyes:)

1 hour ago, Beechey said:

Pretty important I'd imagine. I don't know for sure, but I'd bet it works something like: 

Rodgers and Rudkin will discuss the kind of player they want, and the HoR will deploy the scouts, collect and compile the data, and probably filter through the players that the scouting team doesn't think would cut it, leaving a shortlist for the club to look at. HoR will give extensive information, maybe having met the players and watched them play personally on the recommendation of the scouts. We know Macia met Iborra personally and pushed him to join.

Doesn't make sense to just have scouts with nobody to direct.

Pretty sure we would get done for tapping up if our head of recruitment starts meeting players before any negotiation between clubs. 

• Like 1

I want this job.

I would not hire anyone with out a great first touch. .. as all pl players need that.

I wouldn't hire anyone who wasnt prepared to work on developing their strength. 

No release clauses. 

50% of wages into escrow to be paid on completion of contract. .signing a new one or a transfer instigated by the club.

Otherwise they can look for another club 

• Haha 1

Should bring Steve Walsh back. He managed to get players that were willing to buy into the ethos of the squad (right mentality and quality) - all be it, we had a few dodgy transfer windows after the title winning season, I still think you can't hide the fact that we wouldn't of had the likes of Vardy, Mahrez, Kante etc if it hadn't been for him

• Like 2

It'll be fitting when Brendon Rodgers eventually leaves us for one of the big clubs and we have to call on the 3nd rein of Big Nigel Pearson ?

Turns up at the press conference - 

Stringer: "Welcome ba.."

Pearson interrupts: "Oh F*** Off Ian" 

(gets up and leaves the conference) Class

Edited by OldBob
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, themightyfin said:

Pretty sure we would get done for tapping up if our head of recruitment starts meeting players before any negotiation between clubs. 

It’s an interesting point.

Just reading Done Deal, and he implies that clubs pet/friendly agents will talk to player agents, thus blurring the lines on tapping up, rather than the club itself.

Murky business if true...

8 hours ago, Beechey said:

Pretty important I'd imagine. I don't know for sure, but I'd bet it works something like: 

Rodgers and Rudkin will discuss the kind of player they want, and the HoR will deploy the scouts, collect and compile the data, and probably filter through the players that the scouting team doesn't think would cut it, leaving a shortlist for the club to look at. HoR will give extensive information, maybe having met the players and watched them play personally on the recommendation of the scouts. We know Macia met Iborra personally and pushed him to join.

Doesn't make sense to just have scouts with nobody to direct.

Interesting article explaining how the top six do it.

Looks like some have a Sporting Director instead of Head of Recruitment and some use the Director of Football. 

https://www.planetfootball.com/quick-reads/top-six-director-of-football-models/

So we knew Macia was leaving for about 2 years and we're only just drawing up a shortlist, this close to a transfer window? Ridiculous if so.

I'd argue that recruitment is one of the most important parts of football these days- we need to get this right.

It'd be great to have someone come in pretty swiftly to do deals in the summer to be honest - I'm guessing we know exactly who we want and its about politics and running down the compensation clock at the moment. Hopefully its not LC but I'd imagine that Top and the board will be going for a high profile name with a serious track record of, youth identification, a great network of contacts and actual target procurement.

8 hours ago, themightyfin said:

Well it happened with Iborra, so it must happen. Might be the HoR meets the player once a bid is made.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/made-feel-important-leicester-city-signing-reveals-reasons-behind-summer-switch/

Edited by Beechey

Kieran Scott at Norwich has learnt rave reviews for the work he has done with Daniel Farke. They have brought in some excellent players in the same manner and mould that we did in the Pearson years. It would be a step up with us and as Norwich are about to be promoted he will likely stay there but he'd be my choice. Or if we could get the brains behind Eintract Frankfurt's transfer policy in recent years then I'd be all over that!!

7 hours ago, OldBob said:

Should bring Steve Walsh back. He managed to get players that were willing to buy into the ethos of the squad (right mentality and quality) - all be it, we had a few dodgy transfer windows after the title winning season, I still think you can't hide the fact that we wouldn't of had the likes of Vardy, Mahrez, Kante etc if it hadn't been for him

I personally think that boat has sailed. Yes we got Marhez, Vardy and Kante but we also had the likes of Slimani, Silva and Musa who have been a disaster together with some lesser lites. It was baffling really, it was almost as if the better newly discovered cheaper end of the player market was a huge success but the bigger ticket players were terrible failures? He also got the sack from Everton not without good reason and they couldn't wait to get rid of him. I think he was a part of a good team with Pearson and Shakespeare at a particular point in time.

Macia, or certainly more recent recruitment seems to have been much improved and it makes you wonder what the full story is surrounding his departure. I just hope that the recruitment of younger players persists and no more 29yr old last contract players from Portugal!

Congerton with his cv on the face of it is a huge worry and I just hope that the board are taken in by Rodgers blarney just to appease him as his own record in the transfer market for Celtic or Liverpool is hardly inspiring. Scouting new talent by nature is a bit hit and miss and I suppose as punters we tend to know little about who would be a good current candidate. It's easier to perhaps say who you wouldn't want and for me that would be Walsh and Congerton.

• Like 2