Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HesNotGudjonsonn2

What’s happens if....

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

YOU CAN ONLY HAVE 7 CLUBS MAX IN EUROPEAN COMPETITION ..........

so only two would be in the Europe league 

I don't think you can have more than 4 in the CL. So I guess 4th place would drop to EL instead? 

Edit- I'm wrong. Don't listen to me 

Edited by stripeyfox

3 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Probably don't deserve a place in Europe when you lose at home to Newcastle, Palace and Cardiff in the same season.

Man City lost to Palace at home, Leicester away, Newcastle away. Do they not deserve Champions League? 

Wolves lost at home and away to Huddersfield, away at Cardiff, home to Palace, 

Arsenal lost at home to Palace, away at Southampton.

Could do shit results for any of the top 6 but they got points elsewhere to get them in those positions. Like we've done enough to get to 7-10th.

It's very basic logic... 

Just now, StanSP said:

Man City lost to Palace at home, Leicester away, Newcastle away. Do they not deserve Champions League? 

Wolves lost at home and away to Huddersfield, away at Cardiff, home to Palace, 

Arsenal lost at home to Palace, away at Southampton.

Could do shit results for any of the top 6 but they got points elsewhere to get them in those positions. Like we've done enough to get to 7-10th.

It's very basic logic... 

Not saying it isn't basic logic, it's football and I've followed it long enough, but at this point in the season people shouldn't be clinging on to little things. If we were good enough to be in Europe then we'd be in a better position and not needing to really relying on other teams.

Manchester City aren't a great example because them, and Liverpool, are much better than anybody else as the table indicates.

Can I ask a question and I honestly don't mean this to be facetious in any way.

Every year I hear media, pundits, fans et al talk about finishing high enough up in the league to qualify for the Europa League and then the following season EPL (mainly the mid to lower level sides that qualify) teams treat it with complete disregard in the main, fielding weakened teams and crashing out even before the group stages in a lot of cases (Burnley, West Ham, Soton for example).  Why the obvious disregard for European football nowadays?  Is finishing 9th in the EPL as opposed to 15th genuinely seen as a greater achievement than winning or getting to the final of European competition?  The very notion seems bonkers to me.

The added irony is the Europa League is probably a far more attainable route to qualifying for the Champions League for clubs like Leicester, West Ham, Everton, Wolves, etc than qualifying through the league.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, henrik_62 said:

Can I ask a question and I honestly don't mean this to be facetious in any way.

Every year I hear media, pundits, fans et al talk about finishing high enough up in the league to qualify for the Europa League and then the following season EPL (mainly the mid to lower level sides that qualify) teams treat it with complete disregard in the main, fielding weakened teams and crashing out even before the group stages in a lot of cases (Burnley, West Ham, Soton for example).  Why the obvious disregard for European football nowadays?  Is finishing 9th in the EPL as opposed to 15th genuinely seen as a greater achievement than winning or getting to the final of European competition?  The very notion seems bonkers to me.

The added irony is the Europa League is probably a far more attainable route to qualifying for the Champions League for clubs like Leicester, West Ham, Everton, Wolves, etc than qualifying through the league.

I think there is a good chance for an all-English Europa League final, so there's that.

There are 7 spots for Europe, and a "Big 6" in England. That means, generally, that England will have four teams in CL, and two teams who think they should be in CL that are in EL, and one team that is "other". When that other team is Southampton or Burnley, they don't have the squad depth and can't compete -- they aren't really aspirational for breaking into the top ranks. When the other team is Everton, West Ham, and possibly Wolves and Leicester, it is a test on whether they are ready to step up and compete for elite status -- problem is, they aren't competing regularly in Europe, so it is something of a shock to the system. And the drop in the table from 9th to 15th is serious -- 15th in December means the possibility of a relegation fight.

So England usually has two teams that think EL is beneath them, and only give a crap if they realize it is the only route to the CL, and another team that isn't used to the extra games. I think that this puts England at a disadvantage when facing teams that are regular to the EL and damn happy to be there (Scottish, Belgian, Dutch, and the second tier Spanish teams).

• Like 1

12 hours ago, HesNotGudjonsonn2 said:

....Man Utd scrape fourth, Arsenal or Chelsea win the Europa League and Man City win the FA Cup. Does that mean 8th will get you into Europe? 

You've confused 7th place with being a guaranteed European qualifying spot. 

It's just become a norm that 7th place means Europe because that's the result of a top 6 team winning the FA Cup and Carabao cup.

• Like 1