Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HesNotGudjonsonn2

What’s happens if....

There is a scenario where finishing third in the Pl would only get you El not CL.

If English clubs win both CL and EL but finish outside top 4 then there are only 2 places left in CL for top 2. third would then get the first El place. In the event that no team in that top three wins the league cup or FA cup then fourth place would not even get an EL place as all seven spots would be taken.

Having said that qualification is at the discretion of uefa so they can basically change the rules to keep the big teams in as witnessed when they suggested that Millwall would not have been given an EL place if they had won the cup the other year and would give the place to the next highest league position instead.

On 03/05/2019 at 10:55, henrik_62 said:

Can I ask a question and I honestly don't mean this to be facetious in any way.

Every year I hear media, pundits, fans et al talk about finishing high enough up in the league to qualify for the Europa League and then the following season EPL (mainly the mid to lower level sides that qualify) teams treat it with complete disregard in the main, fielding weakened teams and crashing out even before the group stages in a lot of cases (Burnley, West Ham, Soton for example).  Why the obvious disregard for European football nowadays?  Is finishing 9th in the EPL as opposed to 15th genuinely seen as a greater achievement than winning or getting to the final of European competition?  The very notion seems bonkers to me.

The added irony is the Europa League is probably a far more attainable route to qualifying for the Champions League for clubs like Leicester, West Ham, Everton, Wolves, etc than qualifying through the league.

I’ve said this all season.

IMO the only way I’ll see Leicester play in the CL again is if they qualify for it by winning the Europa League. 

Odds are we won’t finish top 4 again in my lifetime but 5th, 6th, 7th is achievable. 

If we entered the Europa League and really took it seriously I reckon we could actually win it.

But it’s all about PL survival and the money so the above scenario will never happen.

• Like 1