Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Dorkingfox

Rekeen Harper?

1 hour ago, henrik_62 said:

Lennon was spotted in the crowd watching him in the play-off semi-final, apparently we are after him.  Don't know much about him at all.  Maybe both clubs are working from Congerton's list :surrender:

We get McGregor for £15-20m and you get Harper, probably the likeliest scenario.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, henrik_62 said:

Wouldn't be in the least bit surprised.

Is McGregor good enough in your opinion? I know it's never certain that a player will move leagues and do the business but based on past history of players from Celtic and the SPL coming to the Prem, what's your thoughts? He's probably the only player i'd be keen to see here with minimal worry, the obvious exception being Tierney who I hope we don't have to go for as it means Chilwell has been sold. Is McGregor dynamic enough to score and create enough goals if we don't get Tielemans? I know there's a gulf in class between the two but maybe not as much as some would think?

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Is McGregor good enough in your opinion? I know it's never certain that a player will move leagues and do the business but based on past history of players from Celtic and the SPL coming to the Prem, what's your thoughts? He's probably the only player i'd be keen to see here with minimal worry, the obvious exception being Tierney who I hope we don't have to go for as it means Chilwell has been sold. Is McGregor dynamic enough to score and create enough goals if we don't get Tielemans? I know there's a gulf in class between the two but maybe not as much as some would think?

Overall I've no doubts McGregor is good enough to hold his own in the EPL, technically he's superb, great awareness and has no real glaring weakness in his game.  In terms of the comparison with Tielemans, I'm not sure. I've not seen enough of Tielemans other than a few games with Leicester this season to make a proper judgement.  Of all the players in our squad (bar Tierney) he'd be the one I think who would be the most likely to deal with the jump from Scotland to the EPL.

What I would say though is maybe comparing him and Tielemens like for like isn't what you want to do.  The reason being is one of McGregor's great strengths is that he is equally comfortable playing deep in midfield as he is advanced.  If Rodgers does indeed go for him I'd be more inclined to think he'd favour playing McGregor deeper given the players you currently have.  I could see him playing McGregor next to Ndidi and instructing Ndidi to do exactly what he did to Brown for us, break up play, destroy and give it to McGregor to put us on the front foot with his strong running and intelligent forward passing.  Then in the advanced attacking midfield position you'll have Maddison and/or Tielemans and I imagine there'll be games you'll get away with playing both against the weaker sides at home.  That's assuming a 4-2-3-1 or a 4-1-3-1-1 that Rodgers seems to favour of course.  

The very attractive thing about McGregor is that because he is so comfortable deep and in the advanced role he would provide an option to rotate with both a deep midfielder or an attacking one (Maddison and Tielemens), two for the price of one pretty much.  He's so versatile in general, the sort of player that you could play anywhere and know he'll never drop below a 6 or 7 out of 10.  I really don't want him to leave for my own selfish reasons but if he does and you get him for the sort of fees being quoted (~£15m) that will be a snip imo.

Edited by henrik_62
  • Like 4

22 minutes ago, henrik_62 said:

Overall I've no doubts McGregor is good enough to hold his own in the EPL, technically he's superb, great awareness and has no real glaring weakness in his game.  In terms of the comparison with Tielemans, I'm not sure. I've not seen enough of Tielemans other than a few games with Leicester this season to make a proper judgement.  Of all the players in our squad (bar Tierney) he'd be the one I think who would be the most likely to deal with the jump from Scotland to the EPL.

What I would say though is maybe comparing him and Tielemens like for like isn't what you want to do.  The reason being is one of McGregor's great strengths is that he is equally comfortable playing deep in midfield as he is advanced.  If Rodgers does indeed go for him I'd be more inclined to think he'd favour playing McGregor deeper given the players you currently have.  I could see him playing McGregor next to Ndidi and instructing Ndidi to do exactly what he did to Brown for us, break up play, destroy and give it to McGregor to put us on the front foot with his strong running and intelligent forward passing.  Then in the advanced attacking midfield position you'll have Maddison and/or Tielemans and I imagine there'll be games you'll get away with playing both against the weaker sides at home.  That's assuming a 4-2-3-1 or a 4-1-3-1-1 that Rodgers seems to favour of course.  

The very attractive thing about McGregor is that because he is so comfortable deep and in the advanced role he would provide an option to rotate with both a deep midfielder or an attacking one (Maddison and Tielemens), two for the price of one pretty much.  He's so versatile in general, the sort of player that you could play anywhere and know he'll never drop below a 6 or 7 out of 10.  I really don't want him to leave for my own selfish reasons but if he does and you get him for the sort of fees being quoted (~£15m) that will be a snip imo.

Thanks for this, he is the ideal midfielder we need. I think what complicates matters is Tielemans seems to score and assist a lot, more so than what central midfielders tend to do and is more what you'd expect from a number 10 or the player most advanced in a midfield 3. In most games we play Maddison and Tielemans further forward from Ndidi with Barnes and Albrighton or Gray out wide supporting Vardy, a 4-1-4-1 or 4-1-2-3 type system, McGregor probably wouldn't play is this system and I don't see us signing him and Tielemans so if it were McGregor we go for then I can see us really going for bigger improvements in our wide areas in terms of goals and assists as there's less goals coming from Tielemans and they have to be replaced if we are to scratch top 6. Where McGregor seems absolutely ideal is the 4-3-3 we played in the final 3 games of the season vs the top clubs where he could play with Tielemans and either Ndidi or Choudhury, Maddison tended to play in the wide left position alongside Vardy and Albrighton or Barnes and this could work, but as I said I don't see us getting Tielemans and another central midfielder of McGregor's stature. Sounds a great player though.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Thanks for this, he is the ideal midfielder we need. I think what complicates matters is Tielemans seems to score and assist a lot, more so than what central midfielders tend to do and is more what you'd expect from a number 10 or the player most advanced in a midfield 3. In most games we play Maddison and Tielemans further forward from Ndidi with Barnes and Albrighton or Gray out wide supporting Vardy, a 4-1-4-1 or 4-1-2-3 type system, McGregor probably wouldn't play is this system and I don't see us signing him and Tielemans so if it were McGregor we go for then I can see us really going for bigger improvements in our wide areas in terms of goals and assists as there's less goals coming from Tielemans and they have to be replaced if we are to scratch top 6. Where McGregor seems absolutely ideal is the 4-3-3 we played in the final 3 games of the season vs the top clubs where he could play with Tielemans and either Ndidi or Choudhury, Maddison tended to play in the wide left position alongside Vardy and Albrighton or Barnes and this could work, but as I said I don't see us getting Tielemans and another central midfielder of McGregor's stature. Sounds a great player though.

Yeah agree entirely, from what I've seen this season of Leicester it's the wide areas where real investment is needed, Barnes has lots of potential but will need to be used carefully to ensure he develops and Gray I really don't rate at all.  Albrighton will always do a solid enough job but I get the feeling you need a real maverick in one of the wide areas, someone who will provide double figures in both goals and assists, someone like Mahrez lol!

• Like 4