Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
holyfox

Newcastle Utd takeover a potential game changer

29 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

Ffp. Man City got in at the right time, as did Chelsea 

True, but they will have the financial clout to invest in the stadium and facilities which I believe are outside FFP limits, plus they could always ‘sponsor’ the stadium for a crazy amount!

30 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

Two football clubs in the same league or country can’t be owned by members of the same family, surely?

You’d think so but FIFA and UEFA will probably make a rule to allow it at one of their pointless ‘let’s change some random rules to make it look like we deserve our cushy pay packets’ meetings (for the right price of course)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, What the Fuchs? said:

You’d think so but FIFA and UEFA will probably make a rule to allow it at one of their pointless ‘let’s change some random rules to make it look like we deserve our cushy pay packets’ meetings (for the right price of course)

you mean like Adidas and puma couldn’t  compete way back when as they were founded by brothers ??   It won’t be hard for them to say that they dislike each other ........  this is the way things are going and if we manage to establish ourselves in a top six/eight and look to be a consistent operator in that area then would you be amazed if in four or five years time if the family didn’t accept an offer for the club if there was a change in their circumstances???.  That offer could come from anywhere .........

9 hours ago, shailen said:

If any club deserves such investment if it does happen than it's Newcastle. They have suffered more than any club in recent years and are a big club with some of the best support in the country. However with FFP, they can't just freely spend like Man City did so there are no guarantees that they will get to the same level.

Completely agree but don't go telling them that!

It's certainly an interesting (albeit potential) development, but it's definitely not a game changer. 

Wolves are one of the wealthiest clubs in this league but despite their wealth they only finished 7th last season. 

Sheffield United will be joining the league next season backed by Saudi money but I haven't seen one thread suggesting that they are likely to change the landscape of the PL. 

If anything any such developments should be viewed positively as it will mean that if we're serious about competing we'll need to up our game, whilst also ensuring that the league isn't monopolised by one single team. 

Edited by ian_marshall
  • Like 1

Hasn't a similar story been mooted for about the last 4 transfer windows though? Newcastle about to be bought by new incredibly loaded and generous owners only for it to drag on for weeks and eventually not materialise. Yet most of you are talking as if it's already happened and not Mike Ashley up to his usual tricks. I'll believe this when I see it.

8 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

Two football clubs in the same league or country can’t be owned by members of the same family, surely?

There are articles coming out now saying he's not related to Man City and that he could be all mouth and no trousers. 

As much as it frustrates me being stuck in Scotland and being hamstrung by the environment we play in, at the same time there is something unsettling now that in a lot of the big leagues a large part of the success factor for clubs now is who has the wealthiest owner.

Makes it all the more harder for a team like Leicester winning the league again.

• Like 1

Guest Col city fan
10 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

I personally would hate it if Leicester was owned by a sovereign nation or questionable individual. In fact one of the things I respect the most about our owners is that rather than spending tons of money as a personal plaything, they seem like they are actually trying top build something and create a culture here. They wiped the clubs debts out, but don't forget things like serious donations to local causes as well as building the new training centre. I think one of the reasons why the club has pursued the "self sustaining" model so hard is because the end-game for the Premier League is probably one of multiple questionable countries and individuals blowing vast fortunes in a race to personal vanity. The only way a club can reaslitically compete against such individuals is to find and develop young talent and sell on a couple every now and again, Ajax / Monaco style.

When Vichai first came in, I have to say I was really skeptical and those early years actually put me off the club. Pearson went, in came Paolo Sousa (sacked very quickly) and then Sven and we were the "Man City of the Championship" at the time, spending stupid sums on wastes of space like Matt Mills and Beckford. I actually think that this strategy didn't work is one of the most best things that ever happened because it made the owners pursue another way instead of just throwing money at the situation and having a hire and fire culture with managers like Chelsea.

Mike Ashley is probably the epitome of the worst possible owner you could ever dread to have, so I hope Newcastle have someone that is less of a ****, but also hopefully clean of some of the things the owners of PSG and Man City do as their human rights track records in their own countries is terrifying.

:appl:

10 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

I personally would hate it if Leicester was owned by a sovereign nation or questionable individual. In fact one of the things I respect the most about our owners is that rather than spending tons of money as a personal plaything, they seem like they are actually trying top build something and create a culture here. They wiped the clubs debts out, but don't forget things like serious donations to local causes as well as building the new training centre. I think one of the reasons why the club has pursued the "self sustaining" model so hard is because the end-game for the Premier League is probably one of multiple questionable countries and individuals blowing vast fortunes in a race to personal vanity. The only way a club can reaslitically compete against such individuals is to find and develop young talent and sell on a couple every now and again, Ajax / Monaco style.

When Vichai first came in, I have to say I was really skeptical and those early years actually put me off the club. Pearson went, in came Paolo Sousa (sacked very quickly) and then Sven and we were the "Man City of the Championship" at the time, spending stupid sums on wastes of space like Matt Mills and Beckford. I actually think that this strategy didn't work is one of the most best things that ever happened because it made the owners pursue another way instead of just throwing money at the situation and having a hire and fire culture with managers like Chelsea.

Mike Ashley is probably the epitome of the worst possible owner you could ever dread to have, so I hope Newcastle have someone that is less of a ****, but also hopefully clean of some of the things the owners of PSG and Man City do as their human rights track records in their own countries is terrifying.

Great post.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Babylon said:

There are articles coming out now saying he's not related to Man City and that he could be all mouth and no trousers. 

Reckon Ashley is stating that there's a close take over of the club, just to make others believe he's actually trying to help the club out - and the situation could be, like he said publically earlier this season gone when he also said the club was "close" to being sold but they weren't, that it's all just words and he's trying to keep his interests in NUFC for a little bit longer..

Edited by Wymeswold fox