Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

The European Elite

KPMG have released the annual report on Europe’s Elite football clubs. 

You can read read the report here :

https://www.footballbenchmark.com/documents/files/public/KPMG The European Elite 2019 Under Embargo until 00_01 CET 28th May 2019.pdf

A few interesting bits on us:

We are one of nine English clubs, coming in at 16th. 7th of the English clubs. Feels about right! 

We are now above big perceived European Giants such as AC Milan, Roma, Napoli, Sevilla, Ajax, Monaco ....... Celtic

Our playing squad value is low (below average), compared to our enterprise value. We’re classed as a Tier 3 club, relying on positive player trading balances. Our commercial value is bolstered by playing in the Premier League.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Sly said:

KPMG have released the annual report on Europe’s Elite football clubs. 

You can read read the report here :

https://www.footballbenchmark.com/documents/files/public/KPMG The European Elite 2019 Under Embargo until 00_01 CET 28th May 2019.pdf

A few interesting bits on us:

We are one of nine English clubs, coming in at 16th. 7th of the English clubs. Feels about right! 

We are now above big perceived European Giants such as AC Milan, Roma, Napoli, Sevilla, Ajax, Monaco ....... Celtic

Our playing squad value is low (below average), compared to our enterprise value. We’re classed as a Tier 3 club, relying on positive player trading balances. Our commercial value is bolstered by playing in the Premier League.

Celtic?  Come off it - absolutely no way.   Chris Sutton will be fuming when he sees this.

• Haha 1

Is this a KPMG marketing tool or have they been paid to produce it (in which case, by whom)?

Statistics like this are interesting but KPMG appear to have made some fundamental assumptions when producing their comparisons; for example, the standard of football is not the same in each of the top divisions of each European country.  A good player plying their trade in a top club in an average league will rate more highly on goals and assists than the same player in the top Premier League.

One of their conclusions that a club like City would struggle to compete in European and Domestic competitions is not supported by facts.

I also was not able to discern any effects on performance relating to managers in their analyses.  

I suspect that this document has been composed by statisticians and accountants who are very good at dissecting balance sheets and assessing financial performance which gives credibility to their data and statistics, however I am not wholly convinced by the conclusions they have drawn from this information.

Was quite surprised we (Celtic) are in the list, pretty good going considering our entire domestic prize money and tv money this season, after winning everything was just under £4m lol

Hopefully if we start pulling our weight in Europe (we have underachieved there in the last couple of seasons) we can push on a bit.

Not 100% convinced we are headed in the right direction though with the managerial appointment, hope I'm wrong obviously.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, henrik_62 said:

Was quite surprised we (Celtic) are in the list, pretty good going considering our entire domestic prize money and tv money this season, after winning everything was just under £4m lol

Hopefully if we start pulling our weight in Europe (we have underachieved there in the last couple of seasons) we can push on a bit.

Not 100% convinced we are headed in the right direction though with the managerial appointment, hope I'm wrong obviously.

Sadly for Celtic, Scottish Football and British football as a whole, I think this is just the start of the decline for Celtic and they are on the way from being one of Europe's "bigger" teams to becoming a minnow. 

Now would be a great time for them to finally decide to join the "English" leagues and try to negotiate a place in the prem before their status no longer merits it.

Alternatively perhaps the Scottish first division can sell itself to Qatar or the UAE and try to rebuild that way.

4 hours ago, henrik_62 said:

Just out of interest, how come the bigger teams from Wales are allowed to compete in English football  but the likes of you and Rangers cant?

8 minutes ago, broughtonblue said:

Just out of interest, how come the bigger teams from Wales are allowed to compete in English football  but the likes of you and Rangers cant?

Apparently the League of Wales wasn't founded until 1992, so prior to that clubs would just play in the English league by default. When it was founded they were given the option, and some chose to stay.

Wiki

Presumably as the Scottish league is much older that was never really a consideration for the Scots, and I certainly can't see that being quick to change anytime soon.

Edited by Xen

Just now, Out Foxed said:

I truly believe we could make it to the quarters of the Europa. I reckon we’d smash loads of teams up. 

We'd have to play a strong team though, that sort of arrogance has seen West Ham, Burnley and Everton all go out early 

1 hour ago, Out Foxed said:

I truly believe we could make it to the quarters of the Europa. I reckon we’d smash loads of teams up. 

59 minutes ago, Stadt said:

We'd have to play a strong team though, that sort of arrogance has seen West Ham, Burnley and Everton all go out early 

Our first XI would get there no problem. In a year where British clubs have done pretty damn well on the European stage, we've managed to beat both of the EL finalists and put in some top performances against the rest of the top 6.

The question comes in how we'd prioritise the league/Europe. We don't have nearly as much depth as the top 6, and focussing too much on EL can put an otherwise-decent PL team at risk of relegation. The likes of Chelsea/Arsenal have enough residual talent on their benches/squad that they can rest players for a competition where necessary and still achieve their minimum targets, whereas we'd be at risk of cumulative fatigue from so many additional fixtures.

Looking at both of their runs to the final there's very few fixtures where we'd be heavy underdogs, so a good run would definitely be on the cards, although notably neither had to go through the qualification stages. Will be interesting to see how Wolves get on this season, as they're in a pretty similar position to us in both ability and squad depth. 

Arsenal:

Group - Sporting CP, Vorskla Poltava, Qarabag

R32 - BATE Borisov

R16 - Rennes

QF - Napoli

SF - Valencia

Chelsea:

Group - BATE Borisov, MOL Vidi, PAOK

R32 - Malmo 

R16 - Dynamo Kiev

QF - Slavia Prague

SF - Eintracht Frankfurt

Edited by Xen
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, broughtonblue said:

It's a good point mate and one that is often rolled out everytime there is fantasy speculation about us leaving Scotland.  I'm not entirely sure the reason, I think UEFA may have commented on it back in the early 2000's when such speculation was at fever pitch saying something about Swansea and Cardiff have been part of the FA for many years and as such is the status quo.

If Celtic and Rangers were to join the English system, it would be great for the English game. However, it’d finish Scottish football. 

I’m not sure how you implement them into the pyramid now. In at League 2 maybe? 

5 hours ago, Sly said:

If Celtic and Rangers were to join the English system, it would be great for the English game. However, it’d finish Scottish football. 

I’m not sure how you implement them into the pyramid now. In at League 2 maybe? 

Disagree. 

It would be great for Rangers and Celtic and they would most likely become top six clubs but at the expense of two smaller Premier League clubs which is unfair.  Leicester sized clubs really.  Don't think that our top 10 status will last forever.

Also they can keep that sectarian bullshit on the other side of the wall.

Finally, how would this work when Scotland eventually (and inevitably IMO) gets independence?

Edited by murphy
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, murphy said:

Disagree. 

It would be great for Rangers and Celtic and they would most likely become top six clubs but at the expense of two smaller Premier League clubs which is unfair.  Leicester sized clubs really.  Don't think that our top 10 status will last forever.

Finally, how would this work when Scotland eventually (and inevitably IMO) gets independence?

Having a great fan base and financial clout doesn’t guarantee success though. 

The Premier League is becoming a Billionaires playground. 

1 hour ago, Sly said:

Having a great fan base and financial clout doesn’t guarantee success though. 

The Premier League is becoming a Billionaires playground. 

True, but I think that if either of those two clubs got into the PL there would be a queue of oligarchs and sheiks beating their doors down.

15 hours ago, henrik_62 said:

It's a good point mate and one that is often rolled out everytime there is fantasy speculation about us leaving Scotland.  I'm not entirely sure the reason, I think UEFA may have commented on it back in the early 2000's when such speculation was at fever pitch saying something about Swansea and Cardiff have been part of the FA for many years and as such is the status quo.

England and Wales are lumped together in cricket too.  Glamorgan play in our league and the ECB stands for England & Wales Cricket Board. 

I don't know why :dunno:

Guest Markyblue
7 hours ago, murphy said:

Disagree. 

Celtic as a fan base despise the English and the premier league for them to want to play in the English premier league is hypocrisy  at its finest.

15 hours ago, henrik_62 said:

I’m sure I read a while back that it was down to the there being no league structure in Wales when these teams were formed as a result they joined the English league. 

• Like 1

Well for a start they fly Union Jack around the ground meaning a United Kingdom England an Wales, Scotland and N Ireland, while Celtic fly their Irish flags and hate the English with a passion, I'm Sikh and i use to drink with a few Irish and they can't stand the English, they always use to bang on about Bobby Sands, use to do my head in and i use to tell them i love England, that really use to wind them up.

Edited by VIKTOR-LE5
  • Like 1