Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BigMicky

Harvey Barnes

I think it's unlikely he gets in the squad, it's England's strongest position. He's not on a level with Rashford as stated above, given the goals Rashford has already scored at the highest level. Hudson-Odoi has a proven track record in youth international football and experience in the top flight too. He's nowhere near Sancho and Sterling. 

This is essentially his breakthrough year, his focus should be on regular goals and assists for us in the Premier League. The Euros will come too soon unless he has a remarkable season from here. But he's getting better every match. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Bryn said:

I think it's unlikely he gets in the squad, it's England's strongest position. He's not on a level with Rashford as stated above, given the goals Rashford has already scored at the highest level. Hudson-Odoi has a proven track record in youth international football and experience in the top flight too. He's nowhere near Sancho and Sterling. 

This is essentially his breakthrough year, his focus should be on regular goals and assists for us in the Premier League. The Euros will come too soon unless he has a remarkable season from here. But he's getting better every match. 

Rashford has got debut goals at every level he's played at, but otherwise he's bang average. Highest league return was 10 goals last season with 6 assists, and that's despite playing half of those games as the focal striker for Man Utd.

Hudson-Odoi is definitely a decent prospect, but to say he has experience in the top flight is slightly incorrect. He's started 6 games in 3 seasons and 10 sub appearances. 0 goals and 4 assists total (which Barnes has already matched this season alone), plus 4 goals in the Europa league against PAOK, Malmo and Kyiv. Hardly a glittering record. 

Barnes has every chance of overtaking both of them based purely on ability and stats. The only reason he might not make it for the Euros is because of unfavourable selection practices, and the resulting lack of gametime for England prior to the tournament.

Edited by Xen
  • Like 1

Like above..I dont think Barnes will ever get in England to be honest and probably never get a cap either. They have too many 'superstars' out wide and they are younger than him as well. Maddison cant even get a game under southgate and hes one of the best english players at the moment.

On that note i cant wait until we bin Southgate off. Feel sorry for the next club that gets him.

Edited by les-tah

1 minute ago, Finnegan said:

Barnes is miles better than Hudson tbf. I don't even know what the fuss is with that kid. Every time I see him he's bang average. 

Dont watch any of them really but all the pundits seem to tout Hudson Odoi higher than Sancho for potential.

3 minutes ago, les-tah said:

Dont watch any of them really but all the pundits seem to tout Hudson Odoi higher than Sancho for potential.

I haven't got that impression from them at all, Sancho is only about 2 years older and had the most assists out of any player in a Top 4 league last season.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, les-tah said:

Respectfully, that doesn't even mean anything. 

"Potential" is the most over used word in football, I swear there's an entire generation of people that think potential is actually some hidden stat in everyone's DNA that determines how much skill they'll have in the future. 

How many years have we been hearing that Gray has it? He's never developed. 

People just see a young, fast footballer with good feet and immediately get excited thinking he's going to magically turn in to Ronaldo if he gets enough first team football. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Nicolo Barella said:

I haven't got that impression from them at all, Sancho is only about 2 years older and had the most assists out of any player in a Top 4 league last season.

24 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

"Potential" is the most over used word in football, I swear there's an entire generation of people that think potential is actually some hidden stat in everyone's DNA that determines how much skill they'll have in the future. 

People just see a young, fast footballer with good feet and immediately get excited thinking he's going to magically turn in to Ronaldo if he gets enough first team football. 

it was talksport last week i think cant remember who it was but they all said Hudson Odoi will be the one and next big thing blah blah .... Switched off to be honest, lol 

• Like 2

A rumour about Bayern being interested is why Hudson-Odoi is rated. Barnes is a few years older in fairness but has done loads more on his career than Mount and CHO. At WBA last season he was the best young player in the country 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

Barnes is miles better than Hudson tbf. I don't even know what the fuss is with that kid. Every time I see him he's bang average. 

Not having that. Hudson-Odoi is sensational and about 4 years younger.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

Blame career mode😂😂 yeah it’s strange all a young player needs to do is show the slightest amount of footballing talent before being tipped for greatness

1 hour ago, les-tah said:

Like above..I dont think Barnes will ever get in England to be honest and probably never get a cap either. They have too many 'superstars' out wide and they are younger than him as well. Maddison cant even get a game under southgate and hes one of the best english players at the moment.

On that note i cant wait until we bin Southgate off. Feel sorry for the next club that gets him.

He'll definitely get an England cap, but I think the Euros will come too soon for him with regards to being in a tournament squad.

two or three runs in that brief cameo that were out of this world. wasn't really sure whether his goal was sound or not tbh, got to see one angle of it and it was from behind. 

he often looks really sad though. not sure why. 

6 minutes ago, ScouseFox said:

two or three runs in that brief cameo that were out of this world. wasn't really sure whether his goal was sound or not tbh, got to see one angle of it and it was from behind. 

he often looks really sad though. not sure why. 

I know what you mean. I think he just knows he can do better and is frustrated not to be scoring as readily as he did last season. Ultimately he wants to be the guy who scores, rather than assisting all the time (as important as that is). It will come.

I heard or read Rogers say something recently that Barnes just needs to believe in himself more.
Apparently he’s a really nice kid but to be a top, top player he needs that slight arrogance and supreme confidence in his ability.

Sounded like the only thing that might stop him going right to the very top of the game could be his own limiting beliefs.

He has everything at the moment to be a superb player for years to come. Continues to work on his shooting and he is easily capable of 10+ goals a season, plus assists. Commits defenders, exciting to watch, always wants to go forward and creates chances for us. 

One of our own, another one!! 

25 minutes ago, Izzy said:

I heard or read Rogers say something recently that Barnes just needs to believe in himself more.
Apparently he’s a really nice kid but to be a top, top player he needs that slight arrogance and supreme confidence in his ability.

Sounded like the only thing that might stop him going right to the very top of the game could be his own limiting beliefs.

I like to think some top sports stars can get to the top without the arrogance but by purely believing in their own abilities. Jonny Wilkinson comes to mind. Barnes seams to be a similar type of lad. I don't think they always need to have arrogance although that certainly helps make it easier fitting in with the rest of the lads. 

• Like 1