Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BigMicky

Harvey Barnes

1 hour ago, Bezzanator89 said:

That injury is the worst thing that could have happened to Barnes. Was in such a rich vein of form at the time, but has not been remotely close to being the same player since. His confidence is smashed to pieces and his attacking play is not up to standard, so he needs plenty of coaching in the summer. Am frustrated for him, as he is a game changer on his day, and can be a real nightmare for defences.

...he is so much better with Luke and KDH around him, linking up play and getting in behind defences!!!

I really want to see him in the #10 role, he will have so many options available to him, and his ability to shoot off both left and right means he does not need to be favouring either.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...he is so much better with Luke and KDH around him, linking up play and getting in behind defences!!!

I really want to see him in the #10 role, he will have so many options available to him, and his ability to shoot off both left and right means he does not need to be favouring either.

We’d all be better footballers if we had two players close by to support. The problem is it makes us seriously lob sided. 

2 minutes ago, Sankey93 said:

Sell in the summer which will Be hard cuz no **** will want him! He’s doggo.

Will be plenty of teams who would want a player who can regularly put up 15+ goal contributions a season, as he has done for the last 3

Which is why I find it funny people think we should sell, like it would be so easy to replace that kind of output, even if his form has dropped off a cliff you would be taking away at least 15-20 goals away from the team and needing to replace them. And we have seen with the right wing how hard it can be.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

Yet our defence was so much worse.

I like him, but other players have constantly been blamed for not being able to play with him over the years - Chilwell was for a long time, Albrighton has been, Castagne has this year - after a while, what does it say about the player if so many players are said to not be able to play alongside him or bring the best out of him?

Especially for a player like Barnes whose pressing stats and tracking back stats are so poor compared to absolutely all of our other midfielders, wingers and forwards. 

He is obviously not Mahrez and even though he's a good player at his best, he isn't good enough to build the team around and to start facilitating the places of 2 other players just to get him to play half decently. He has to learn to fit into different systems and alongside different players if he wants to improve.

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, funkyrobot said:

We’d all be better footballers if we had two players close by to support. The problem is it makes us seriously lob sided. 

....having Thomas at LB and KDH on the left of Central midfield does not make us lopsided!!!

It is a great triangle to have in order to progress our play. The fact that Ricardo, Tielemans and Lookman covering the right side makes us balanced although as we know Lookman excels on the left hand side of midfield.

5 minutes ago, Sampson said:

Yet our defence was so much worse.

I like him, but other players have constantly been blamed for not being able to play with him over the years - Chilwell was for a long time, Albrighton has been, Castagne has this year - after a while, what does it say about the player if so many players are said to not be able to play alongside him or bring the best out of him?

Especially for a player like Barnes whose pressing stats and tracking back stats are so poor compared to absolutely all of our other midfielders, wingers and forwards. 

He is obviously not Mahrez and even though he's a good player at his best, he isn't good enough to build the team around and to start facilitating the places of 2 other players just to get him to play half decently. He has to learn to fit into different systems and alongside different players if he wants to improve.

...to be honest, I feel it is a perfect fit for all three and it has flowered organically!!!

He bottled it today. Took a kick off Iwobi two minutes after coming on and then did all he could to avoid trying to go past him again. Didn't try a turn, a flick or anything different, just went backwards. It's difficult to watch him stagnate but he simply hasn't progressed in the last two seasons.  Yes he has goal involvements but his "Big Chances Missed" stat is at something like 70%. He just doesn't do enough when he get around the box, his finishing is abysmal.

If someone said to pick 5 players to lose from the squad right now he might just make it into my five out of sheer frustration.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Will be plenty of teams who would want a player who can regularly put up 15+ goal contributions a season, as he has done for the last 3

Which is why I find it funny people think we should sell, like it would be so easy to replace that kind of output, even if his form has dropped off a cliff you would be taking away at least 15-20 goals away from the team and needing to replace them. And we have seen with the right wing how hard it can be.

He’s not good enough. Very inconsistent anorl and is a one trick pony if any bid comes in then surely we should consider ?

10 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

....having Thomas at LB and KDH on the left of Central midfield does not make us lopsided!!!

It is a great triangle to have in order to progress our play. The fact that Ricardo, Tielemans and Lookman covering the right side makes us balanced although as we know Lookman excels on the left hand side of midfield.

KDH plays very left in that triangle, it’s a lob sided overload on the left and in comparison Tielemans has to cover more inside over on the right hand side. 

I’ve never known a player need so many factors to play well. He needs a left footed midfielder (KDH) to support him and play him the ball early. He needs a full back to not overlap (Chilwell/Castagne) but to stay back and feed him the ball (Thomas). He needs a link striker (Iheanacho) to play one twos with.  Jesus, your either a player or not and don’t need all these excuses as to why he can’t possibly perform.

I don’t see any improvement in the past 2 years, still the same streaky type player, who flits in and out of games, often on the periphery, with poor decision making. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, escape2victory said:

I’ve never known a player need so many factors to play well. He needs a left footed midfielder (KDH) to support him and play him the ball early. He needs a full back to not overlap (Chilwell/Castagne) but to stay back and feed him the ball (Thomas). He needs a link striker (Iheanacho) to play one twos with.  Jesus, your either a player or not and don’t need all these excuses as to why he can’t possibly perform.

I don’t see any improvement in the past 2 years, still the same streaky type player, who flits in and out of games, often on the periphery, with poor decision making. 

Doesn't need to be a left footed midfielder, just needs to be a midfielder that will play the ball into his run rather than sideways or behind him, that kind of play is a detriment to any winger as it allows the fullback to press up as the winger has to drop back to pick up the ball.

Fullbacks overlapping is great for him so not sure where you got this idea from, they can either overlap and pull the full back out which allows him to have space on the inside, or if they underlap it allows him to get to the byline.

He doesn't need a link striker to play one twos with?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, moore_94 said:

Doesn't need to be a left footed midfielder, just needs to be a midfielder that will play the ball into his run rather than sideways or behind him, that kind of play is a detriment to any winger as it allows the fullback to press up as the winger has to drop back to pick up the ball.

Fullbacks overlapping is great for him so not sure where you got this idea from, they can either overlap and pull the full back out which allows him to have space on the inside, or if they underlap it allows him to get to the byline.

He doesn't need a link striker to play one twos with?

I would argue that he doesn’t make enough of those runs rather than it be the midfielders fault. Doesn’t do enough out to in, way too easy to mark out of games. The other excuses I’ve listed are just ones I’ve heard from other fans as to why Barnes couldn’t possibly have a good game 

54 minutes ago, Stadt said:

More than anybody else he’ll benefit from a new manger. Rodgers isn’t a manager that gives players much detailed instruction. It’s very hands off, loose coaching. 

He needs his game breaking down for him and the right manager to push his buttons.

Don’t understand this, he was pretty crap in the season before his injury missing chance after chance and then Rodgers turned him to an amazing striker of the ball… He improved but now after injury he’s back to where he started hardly like Rodgers made him worse? Looks devoid of confidence like a lot of players though.. 

3 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

He’s a victim of Brendan’s walking football.

The lads qualities are;

Pace

Power

Direct running 

We simply don’t play football that brings the best out of him. 

No disagree. He's a big part of the pace that we play at, he just didn't fancy it today. Came on, strolled up and down the line, making sure he didn't take too many risks against Iwobi and instead of bursting on and giving us an option and the full backs a problem, he hung back around halfway and made Everton's life easy for them. The 3 qualities you list are also Jeff Schlupp's qualities, Dan James qualities and Usain Bolt's qualities. And none of them can finish either.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

He’s a victim of Brendan’s walking football.

The lads qualities are;

Pace

Power

Direct running 

We simply don’t play football that brings the best out of him. 

He looks scared to go outside every time he gets the ball that’s no one else’s fault but his own. There is no manager in the world that just says go inside everytime

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Fox92 said:

No there isn't.

He was on course for over 20 goals last season from the wing. He's having a poor season by his standards and still on 19 goal contributions. They are the ingredients of a player who has the potential to be very good. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

He was on course for over 20 goals last season from the wing. He's having a poor season by his standards and still on 19 goal contributions. They are the ingredients of a player who has the potential to be very good. 

Which is my worry really, it was just one season.