Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BigMicky

Harvey Barnes

22 minutes ago, shiv said:

Work rate is everything unless you’re a striker. Not sure if you’ve noticed the drastic improvement in Madders’ off the ball work rate but clearly Rodgers expects a standard from our players.

If you look at the likes of Man City and Liverpool, their entire starting XI work their socks off to win the ball back including Salah and Mane. That’s what’s expected when you’re not in possession and has been one of our biggest downfalls this season.

Frankly, Barnes has been lazy, unfit and let’s be honest even going forward his end product has been poor this year.

This season in the league Barnes has been more involved defensively than Salah, and isn’t that far off Mane either

12 hours ago, StanSP said:

Expecting a winger to defend alot is like expecting Vestergaard to be our main goalscoring threat. 

It's not his role. It would help if he did his bit, but expecting him to be the main support for Thomas isn't his role and it won't be his strength. 

Similar to those who expect Ndidi or Mendy to be scoring as well. It's not their role. Be a bonus if they did it but I'd rather they focus on being the best at what they're good at...? 

Every player should naturally be wanting to help win the ball back so they can regain possession and do their stuff.  Surely Barnes wants to have the ball as much as he can.  Moreover, his speed could help an awful lot in tracking runners and putting them under pressure, so it's a waste that he doesn't use it as productively as he can.

4 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

This season in the league Barnes has been more involved defensively than Salah, and isn’t that far off Mane either

You could be right regarding getting back and taking up space (too slow when I’ve seen him do it btw) but he isn’t getting stuck in and winning battles going backwards …. 

33 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

Once Forest saw Barnes on the left , they knew they could attack our left side. Luke is a fine prospect but faced with a double teamed threat it was always going to be tough for him. Really Rodgers should have known that . Albrighton on the left would have been better but playing the diamond with KDH on the left side of midfield was the obvious tactic.

Two years ago exactly that situation happened at Man C and Chilwell was exposed and destroyed by it.  Given that the 2 Forest lads had shown that capability against Arsenal, and given that previous experience of ours at Man C, it was hardly a stretch to see that this was an obvious point of weakness for us.  But Rodgers did nothing to equip us to counter the threat.  For me that is appalling preparation and game management.

3 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

You could be right regarding getting back and taking up space (too slow when I’ve seen him do it btw) but he isn’t getting stuck in and winning battles going backwards …. 

Stats suggest he does get stuck in though

Ball recoveries, tackles attempted, aerials contested, aerials won, ground duels contested, ground duels won, clearances, blocks, all per 90, he comes out higher in than Salah, and just behind Mane

Could be he is mainly doing it around the half way line (where his heat map suggests he spends most of his time this season) but he does get stuck in

7 hours ago, majaco said:

Teams target our left side.

Starting with Lookman, Barnes, Maddison and a centre forward over exposes us.

Maddison has to start.   Barnes should.  If he doesn't, Lookman should with the other as an option off the bench.

Barnes defensively is questionable.  He can look to improve but the strengths and weaknesses of our players need taking o to account when a team is selected.

Barnes is a player who terrifies opposition defences.   The opposition will be aware of his defensive limitations.

Barnes can't defend, has never defended since he joined the academy and isn't about to start now,

He terrifies poor defenders but there's not many about outside of our club. He and his fathers/ mentors game is/was to run at players usually selfishly and shoot. This worked brilliantly for West Brom and did for a period here until he got sussed as predictable. He cant run through players despite repeatedly trying especially if they double up and our 'wingbacks' cross better.

Reward when its due but virtually tripling a players wages after a short reasonable run? Same hunger when a multi millionaire?

Barnes coming back form injury then twice after covid meant Iheanacho not getting a game. Vardy in his 36th year is knackered hence his absence now and we have been crying out to play two out of the 3 forwards together.

Iheanacho looked lost of Sunday, game had gone and was too chaotic for Daka to change it, he should have started as a two

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Pliskin said:

He’s honked the place out this season, and if what I have been told is true about his off field conduct then it’s no surprise he’s been crap. The lads got to buck his ideas up, he’s an incredible talent, but he needs to start adding some more work to his game if he is to reach those levels again. 

...the only player displaying the mentality and attitude Rodgers claims he wants was JJ!!!

Perhaps the whole player and staff department lacks any leaders. The possibility that JJ could become the one to lead this ship and perhaps with KDH could come to pass.

At this moment the candidates would be:

Kasper

Albrighton

Vardy

JJ 

KDH

You feel Rodgers trust them to carry out  his instructions. 

Edited by sacreblueits442

2 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...the only player displaying the mentality and attitude Rodgers claims he wants was JJ!!!

Perhaps the whole player and staff department lacks any leaders. The possibility that JJ could become the one to lead this ship and perhaps with KDH could come to pass.

At this moment the candidates would be:

Kasper

Albrighton

Vardy

JJ 

KDH

You feel Rodgers trust them to carry out  his instructions. 

I have always thought that KDH is a 23 year old going on 30. He is no raw kid and in a couple of years could be a leading candidate for the captaincy.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, baldeagle said:

I’d like to know where he was supposed to be playing tonight. When he first came on he was on the right then was just all over the shop 

Looked like Brendan made the only tactical move he has, to a 532, and Barbes was a striker

Guest BlueBrett

Truth is our fans have always overrated him. You can't build a career on pace alone, seen more than enough evidence of that through the years.

I do respect the fact that he wont pay more than 6 quid for a haircut though.

8 hours ago, BlueBrett said:

Truth is our fans have always overrated him. You can't build a career on pace alone, seen more than enough evidence of that through the years.

I do respect the fact that he wont pay more than 6 quid for a haircut though.

His output last season was up there with any winger in the top 5 leagues in Europe bar a handful of the obvious elite players. He was getting better and better and yet this season has been so mediocre for him so far. Shame, I really thought his performance at home to Napoli was his return to what he is capable of but it's been very hit and miss.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

His output last season was up there with any winger in the top 5 leagues in Europe bar a handful of the obvious elite players. He was getting better and better and yet this season has been so mediocre for him so far. Shame, I really thought his performance at home to Napoli was his return to what he is capable of but it's been very hit and miss.

I'm finding it very hard to hold the players accountable, we've been playing awful football for over 12 months now and Rodgers has spent 10/11 of those months praising the players for playing how he wants them to (apart from the the few games where we were getting the ball forwards into space and looking dangerous, he wasn't so keen on them).

The players have been mentally beaten by this man and had any creativity or excitement coached out of them. All they want to do now is pass..point..pass...point...pass...point.

TOP!!! DO THE RIGHT THING!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, filbertway said:

I'm finding it very hard to hold the players accountable, we've been playing awful football for over 12 months now and Rodgers has spent 10/11 of those months praising the players for playing how he wants them to (apart from the the few games where we were getting the ball forwards into space and looking dangerous, he wasn't so keen on them).

The players have been mentally beaten by this man and had any creativity or excitement coached out of them. All they want to do now is pass..point..pass...point...pass...point.

TOP!!! DO THE RIGHT THING!

Which handle on ft does top use?

15 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I think this is what Rodgers was questioning about desire. Got a big pay rise at the start of the season but we haven't see the same level of hunger or determination as the previous season. Some of that is borne out in his poor pressing stats,. 

He is a player who has so much potential, frustrating not to see him show it so far this season. 

• Like 2

Old fashioned wingers are a dying breed, wide men now are midfielders who need to form the first defensive barrier. Harvey is 90% offensive.and his future is as a striker. After a dodgy start his conversion rate has improved. His mobility means he can operate in different channels across the attack just as Vardy and Daka do. Liverpool have no wingers as such but still use width when they need to usually provided by Robertson and TAA who are not actually wing backs.

• Like 1

Barnes frustrated us all for a whole season prior to finding top form than getting seriously injured. I remember it took a lot for him to get to that point. southgate was looking at him, managers like klopp and pep were praising him. They all saw what we saw which was potential finally realized. The mind and body finally connected.

he’s back now but the form has gone. I do think he can get it back but he has to try much harder out there. Leave it all on the field! It will come but he has find it.

• Like 1

I'm not convinced on Barnes yet.  He seems a bit like Gray in respects that he can have a bit of a purple patch of good games, then he vanishes for ages.  He still makes the wrong decisions that's needed for a top player way too often and that's why he's wildly inconsistent.  Unplayable one month, anonymous the next.