Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BigMicky

Harvey Barnes

Had a touch of the Chilwell’s last night and constantly tried to just run through a player. Too indecisive which lead to the wrong option every time. But yeah, he was also kept well quiet by their full back. 

He shouldn’t be playing.

Our two striker formation was altered (Iheanacho unceremoniously dumped) when Barnes came back from injury and 2 bouts of Covid 

Our wingbacks when formation allows are better wingers (+ we have never convincing filled the RW spot)

HB can’t and doesn’t defend 

We play better and need two strikers together, we won the league with two!

Back three allows Fofana to push forward as he used to 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

Can't we just accept that the PSV full back had the measure of Barnes tonight?

What will be interesting is that now Barnes knows that the full back had him sussed in the first leg what will he do in the second leg?

Will the coaches work on him varying his play?

Barnes was the difference for me last night but for all the wrong reasons. On his day he is unplayable and if he was anywhere near his best I think we'd have snatched it. He had an unbelievable amount of chances to produce something but gave it away. 

We had a move in the 2nd half when we cut through them with some lovely one touch stuff, ends up with Harvey who should put a one touch cross in but takes a touch and gives a foul away. Should've been hooked after that

29 minutes ago, baldeagle said:

Was too greedy and made a lot of wrong choices last night that said he’s still young and learning 

You say this, but he's 25 this year. That's not young in footballing terms, that should be coming into his prime years. He's not learning. BR should sit him down off the field and discuss his decision making. It's awful. He's becoming far too predictable. He's got all the talent in the world but no footballing brain. It's the most frustrating thing in football that is. 

I’m sure it’s been covered multiple times but he was utterly honking yesterday.

I kept watching Brendan every time he gave the ball away, ran straight into a defender or mis controlled the ball and it’s safe to say he wasn’t happy.

How did he think it was a good idea to leave him on and bring Lookman on for Kelechi instead? Bizarre.

Normally I'd hate the thought of us selling our better players but I'd actually like to see Barnes move to Liverpool (assuming they're still interested) as I'm intrigued to see what Klopp could make of his talent. Genuinely think he won't fulfil his potential under Rodgers, but think he could hit a completely different level under Klopp. 

I doubt they're interested nor do I want to see him go but just curious as to how good he could potentially be with the right coaching as I feel like he's treading water at the moment. 

4 hours ago, jmono84 said:

When against a team playing deep like that he needs to come off his wing and try and get the ball in more central areas which should create space wide for his fullback. Its clear tho he’s been told to sit wide, probably because they don’t rate his ability to play with his back to goal but then he becomes so predictable. The PSV fullback did very little and has almost completely nullified Barnes.

Its a shame because he could be a strong boy, he’s got decent height and quite built but for whatever reason you rarely see the ball player to his feet when a defending is tight on him. Compare that to Lookman who is very good receiving the ball like this.

Barnes needs to get better at this and improve his shooting if he wants to get to the next level.

I've watched games where Barnes' decision-making is good, but I think his whole game is greatly affected by his confidence, and he just wasn't on it last night.

My feeling I'm that PSV's plan to deal with Barnes' threat was for the full back to show him inside, and for other defenders to be alert to that and present a wall that Barnes kept running into.  There were several times when Barnes got the ball in an ideal position to have a go outside the full back, but I can't remember a single time when he tried that.

I also believe that we were too ponderous in getting the ball to Barnes so their defence was always set up to deal with it..

Our manager should have had something up his sleeve to counter this .... but didn't.  Replacing him with Lookman for the last 30 was the obvious last throw and it's hard to see why that wasn't done.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ian__marshall said:

Normally I'd hate the thought of us selling our better players but I'd actually like to see Barnes move to Liverpool (assuming they're still interested) as I'm intrigued to see what Klopp could make of his talent. Genuinely think he won't fulfil his potential under Rodgers, but think he could hit a completely different level under Klopp. 

I doubt they're interested nor do I want to see him go but just curious as to how good he could potentially be with the right coaching as I feel like he's treading water at the moment. 

He’s not going to Liverpool anytime

soon based on his current progress and their need for a wide attacker.

31 minutes ago, hejammy said:

You say this, but he's 25 this year. That's not young in footballing terms, that should be coming into his prime years. He's not learning. BR should sit him down off the field and discuss his decision making. It's awful. He's becoming far too predictable. He's got all the talent in the world but no footballing brain. It's the most frustrating thing in football that is. 

Crikey didn’t realise he was that age already that’s gone quick , Christ I’m old 

8 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

He’s not going to Liverpool anytime

soon based on his current progress and their need for a wide attacker.

Completely agree. As I said though just intrigued by the thought of what he could be under a manager who is very good at coaching attacking player's. 

For me currently he has all the attributes but just can't put them all together. His end product is woeful. So wasteful in dangerous positions, it's incredibly frustrating to watch. 

Guest Chocolate Teapot
4 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Let's just remind ourselves that prior to the Brentford game, he'd been on a great run of form for us that coincided with our upturn in results and performances. Go back through those games vs West Ham, Randers, Rennes, Burnley, Leeds and even at Arsenal he was head and shoulders the only decent attacking presence. But he's then nose dived since that hideous challenge on him at the end of the Rennes 2nd leg.

I don't know why Rodgers hasn't given him a breather, he spent most of the international break struggling with that ankle issue too. I'm concerned there is something in this Lookman deal about owing more money or having to sign him permanently if he starts 1 more game, otherwise there's no reason not to rest Barnes for a week or so and bring him on in games.

Or dare I say it, go back to the midfield diamond and let's see Iheanacho and Daka take it to some teams, we are becoming ever so predictable again now that defensively we look more secure. Its too tempting for Rodgers to try and instruct caution and control and not take risks because we simply have to. 

There isn't an appearance clause for lookman. Rodgers thinks he doesn't press as well as others.

1 minute ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

There isn't an appearance clause for lookman. Rodgers thinks he doesn't press as well as others.

Interesting, I always thought his pressing and defensive work rate was miles better than Barnes. but what do I know 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Clearly Barnes isn’t expected to press because he makes me look mobile with his efforts