Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BigMicky

Harvey Barnes

People seem to go to extreme’s when reviewing our player’s performances. Barnes was largely ineffective against PSV, the give & go with Nacho was superb when he struck the bar, a great piece of play, but other than that I thought PSV’s full back did well.

I do wonder when BR looks at the change to a back 3 now that we’ve got our defensive cover back. That decision would be mutually exclusive to ending Barnes’ current advanced LW role in the team, but would give us another dimension with a Nacho / Patson (or Barnes) partnership. I’m sure this will come at some point, just not sure when!

21 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Barnes was looking dangerous again with the Thomas, KDH and Barnes trio but all 3 games since Castagne has come back in and he's looked iffy again. Hopefully it's just a readjustment and that this injury has set him back a bit, we know he's a very streaky player.

Still love him, just hope Rodgers doesn't cause detriment to the team whilst we try and rediscover his momentum as we've very little margin for error now in the only thing we have left to play for. 

Some players just seem to gel well together. He definitely seems to come alive playing with Thomas at left back and also with Justin. Not a problem as Castagne also seems to perform better on the right. Chemistry between players is a difficult element to analyse and just has to be accepted.

22 hours ago, The whole world smiles said:

On this board your only one game away from being rubbish. 

He had an off night and his full back had a great game. 

It happens no biggie, Barnes is having another good season, despite taking a while to find his feet after his injury last season he's still on 8 goals and 9 assists. Not to be sniffed at. 

Sensible post. Careful mate!

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Biggus said:

Not enough credit has been given to the PSV right back - he was very good imho.

Spot on. But careful, you’re not allowed to give opposition players credit, aka … their RB didn’t have a good game, Barnes was just sh!t, just remember that if you want to be accepted by some of this forum!

• Like 1

Just now, MalletFox said:

Spot on. But careful, you’re not allowed to give opposition players credit, aka … their RB didn’t have a good game, Barnes was just sh!t, just remember that if you want to be accepted by some of this forum!

the psv RB was good - he had barnes in his pocket.

IMO barnes is too one dimensional - he needs to mix it up more.  He should get the byeline more often - but he is right to pull the trigger and should do so

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Bob Hazels shorts said:

If Harvey wasn't 'one of our own' this thread wouldn't exist 

The side is set up to our failing to accommodate Barnes. Lookman on the left or wingbacks have proved to be far better 

Ludicrous looking at the amount of attempts at right wing to mirror him, even our most creative player Madison playing out of position

Iheanacho was dropped for him initially 

There is a player in Barnes but how long do we carry him and adjust to fit him in?

So right about a player in there, but since the injury last season?  He's plateaud.  Got back in after being not in favour and is on a run now.

There is much he can do well but much he is poor at or at this point should be improving.

Decent finisher generally, great pace.

But doesn't like working outside what he is good at, so won't move off the ball into space, not a great one for tracking back and supporting the full back, won't much go outside a full back and so have to cross on his left foot (so no surprise for full back), won't sprint forward when we are in attack to support others.

These are all things others do in the side, learn from them, putting a shift in = Albrighton, Castagne, KDH, intelligent footballer and movement off the ball = Vardy.  Tracking back = Albrighton, that's why whichever manager comes in he gets so much game time, coz he's solid, but Barnes has got younger legs so should be able to do some off both.

Its there, I just want to see signs of improvement or a desire to make his game better over time and a stronger work ethic.

He's treading water, when he could kick on and be a very good premier league player.  Or maybe he's reached his level??

• Like 1

Barnes is 25 i believe, he's not a kid and i think he's at a career crossroads now much like Gray was a few years ago and he blows hot and cold like DG too, similarly not in the right proportion imho,

I honestly dont think Barnes will ever be the player he sometimes threatens to become, maybe if another club comes in for him but i fear not with us (Rodgers).

He just frustrates the hell out of me!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Bob Hazels shorts said:

If Harvey wasn't 'one of our own' this thread wouldn't exist 

The side is set up to our failing to accommodate Barnes. Lookman on the left or wingbacks have proved to be far better 

Ludicrous looking at the amount of attempts at right wing to mirror him, even our most creative player Madison playing out of position

Iheanacho was dropped for him initially 

There is a player in Barnes but how long do we carry him and adjust to fit him in?

...if Maddison went, there will be a host of our players who could fill that role (#10), and one of them is Barnes!!!

54 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

I think Barnes benefits a lot from an overlapping fullback, Castagne doesn't want to do this on the left at least, the relationship between Thomas, Barnes and KDH seems to natural and we should restore it ASAP

Some of our best recent football was taking place on the left with the interplay of Thomas, KDH, Barnes and Madders.

Thomas passes with great accuracy down the touchline - which gives Barnes and KDH opportunities to initiate quick one-twos - which disrupts what I was seeing on Thursday - two men shadowing Barnes. Even if he'd gone past both then their defence had time to position themselves.

We pride ourselves on fast counter-attacks, yet this requires rapid movement with the aim of bypassing defenders. Barnes was facing an intelligently set-up defence, which was in place every time he had possession. You need a Messi to pick that kind of lock.

Castagne was doing a lot of running forward pointing to the byline, but that's speculative at best. Rodgers is unwilling to continue with Thomas now he's got his 'senior' guys back. I fear a great prospect will now be sidelined by Rodger's unwillingness to allow him to develop by continuing to gain experience by playing against Prem opposition. I like Castagne, but Thomas has the greater potential. I hope he's patient.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, gerblod said:

Some of our best recent football was taking place on the left with the interplay of Thomas, KDH, Barnes and Madders.

Thomas passes with great accuracy down the touchline - which gives Barnes and KDH opportunities to initiate quick one-twos - which disrupts what I was seeing on Thursday - two men shadowing Barnes. Even if he'd gone past both then their defence had time to position themselves.

We pride ourselves on fast counter-attacks, yet this requires rapid movement with the aim of bypassing defenders. Barnes was facing an intelligently set-up defence, which was in place every time he had possession. You need a Messi to pick that kind of lock.

Castagne was doing a lot of running forward pointing to the byline, but that's speculative at best. Rodgers is unwilling to continue with Thomas now he's got his 'senior' guys back. I fear a great prospect will now be sidelined by Rodger's unwillingness to allow him to develop by continuing to gain experience by playing against Prem opposition. I like Castagne, but Thomas has the greater potential. I hope he's patient.

Thomas was also injured on international duty, now he is back and available I imagine we will still see a fair amount of him.

• Like 1

Barnes terrifies defences.  He is heavily marked because of his quality. Barnes and Maddison both uave to start, unless rested; they are our creative spark 

Thomas has done well.  However, we have been looking stronger defensively recently.   Thomas is not at the level of Castagne or Justin.  Hopefully,  he will get there.  It is difficult for Rodgers to accommodate Thomas when he has players of the ability of our other full backs.

Edited by majaco
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, majaco said:

Barnes terrifies defences.  He is heavily marked because of his quality. Barnes and Maddison both uave to start, unless rested; they are our creative spark 

Thomas has done well.  However, we have been looking stronger defensively recently.   Thomas is not at the level of Castagne or Justin.  Hopefully,  he will get there.  It is difficult for Rodgers to accommodate Rodgers when he has players of the ability of our other full backs.

Are you referring to Thomas or Mrs Rodgers?

• Haha 1

Annoys me how often our full backs take the flack for our wingers literally running into players or being unable to complete simple passes. Chilwell often got the blame for Barnes being unable to do the basics as well.

Castagne has come in, played well and made our defence better. He’s also clearly a better player than Thomas at this point in time regardless of Thomas’ potential.

Barnes was fine vs ManUtd apart from his finishing (and you can’t blame his finishing on the fullback). Vs PSV he was miscontrolling the ball, mislaying simple passes or just running straight into players even when he had bags of room to run besides them, what does any of that have to do with whether the full back overlaps or not? An overlapping full back doesn’t suddenly mean a winger can or cannot control a football.

And saying Castagne doesn’t overlap the fullback at any rate is just a weird observation. I see him do it all the time, dunno which player you guys are watching.

Crazy people want Castagne dropped for me. He’s been one of our best players since he’s come back in and really helped sure up our defence. 

Can’t we just accept Barnes had a poor game without saying he’s crap as a player or it’s Castagne’s fault?

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, majaco said:

Thomas has done well.  However, we have been looking stronger defensively recently.   Thomas is not at the level of Castagne or Justin.  Hopefully,  he will get there.  It is difficult for Rodgers to accommodate Rodgers when he has players of the ability of our other full backs.

I agree, Barnes really does cause a lot of issues for defences however he is prone to being an absolute no show for some games.

I thought he was pretty sh1t last game but he's the kind of player who will really change a game when he is on form.

Hoping that he starts later and is back on form.

The fact people will criticize Barnes, but constantly back Albrighton, who wouldn't get a game at some Championship sides, isn't a surprise anymore.

It's also interesting to see Demarai Gray still getting called out on here....A man who during an injury hit season, in a terrible Everton side, has scored more league goals this season than Albrighton has in his last 4 years.

We've spent every game before Justin returned passing to Barnes's feet and putting 100% of our attacking responsibility on him....He will look a far better player once we actually being playing Lookman more, or sign some forwards in the Summer.

1 hour ago, majaco said:

Pace terrifies any defence but when the player hasn't got good decision making skills, like Barnes, it's largely ineffective.

The amount of times Barnes runs nowhere or just straight into a group of opposition players is baffling. 

7 hours ago, Jimmy said:

I think Barnes benefits a lot from an overlapping fullback, Castagne doesn't want to do this on the left at least, the relationship between Thomas, Barnes and KDH seems to natural and we should restore it ASAP

See your point, I think Castagne does do this arguably but for me the player that should start on that side is JJ.

6 hours ago, The_77 said:

Harvey Barnes has 16 goal contributions in a subpar season, when we’re constantly changing systems and who he plays with on the left.

He already has twice the number of career senior goal contributions (70) as Ademola Lookman (35) and it won’t be long until he doubles Demarai Gray’s tally (40).  

The constant bashing of players and ridiculous hot takes are exhausting.

This. Great post.

3 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Pace terrifies any defence but when the player hasn't got good decision making skills, like Barnes, it's largely ineffective.

The amount of times Barnes runs nowhere or just straight into a group of opposition players is baffling. 

Ridiculously harsh. He’s a player that creates opportunities for himself with the ball at his feet cutting in. It’s not always going to come to something but if we had a player of his ilk and skill on the right we wouldn’t be demanding so much from him every time he receives the ball to make something happen. To say he hasn’t got good decision making skills is for me is going a bit far.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Nick said:

Ridiculously harsh. He’s a player that creates opportunities for himself with the ball at his feet cutting in. It’s not always going to come to something but if we had a player of his ilk and skill on the right we wouldn’t be demanding so much from him every time he receives the ball to make something happen. To say he hasn’t got good decision making skills is for me is going a bit far.

Might have been a bit harsh tbf but I don't think his decision making is great, I've always thought that.

He does create opportunities, at least once a game, but he's not consistent enough with it.

He easily has our best chances in games and should be our super star but because he’s too raw he fluffs a lot.

IF Leicester want to be a consistent top 6 team Barnes has to do a lot more with the chances/positions he gets.

He needs to bully his fullbacks too, all that stock and he don’t use it.