Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BigMicky

Harvey Barnes

17 minutes ago, Ian Nacho said:

It annoys me how we can’t criticise a player during a spell of poor form without it being described as scapegoating. 

You can. But some people go well over the top sometimes. If anything those 'extreme/exaggerated' views overshadow any warranted/fair criticisms... 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sampson said:

Annoys me how often our full backs take the flack for our wingers literally running into players or being unable to complete simple passes. Chilwell often got the blame for Barnes being unable to do the basics as well.

Castagne has come in, played well and made our defence better. He’s also clearly a better player than Thomas at this point in time regardless of Thomas’ potential.

Barnes was fine vs ManUtd apart from his finishing (and you can’t blame his finishing on the fullback). Vs PSV he was miscontrolling the ball, mislaying simple passes or just running straight into players even when he had bags of room to run besides them, what does any of that have to do with whether the full back overlaps or not? An overlapping full back doesn’t suddenly mean a winger can or cannot control a football.

And saying Castagne doesn’t overlap the fullback at any rate is just a weird observation. I see him do it all the time, dunno which player you guys are watching.

Crazy people want Castagne dropped for me. He’s been one of our best players since he’s come back in and really helped sure up our defence. 

Can’t we just accept Barnes had a poor game without saying he’s crap as a player or it’s Castagne’s fault?

Can we just accept that certain players seem to have a better understanding with certain players. I agree the blame shouldn't be on the other player, it's on both. Barnes and Castagne have never really gelled together, where as Barnes and Thomas or Justin he has. Likewise Castagne has played very well on the right but his output on the left remains less dangerous going forward.

That said, I do agree that since he's come back in in the 3 games he's played that he's done well so no major issues at the minute. 

I think it'll be Thomas and Lookman today though down that side.

2 hours ago, Fox92 said:

Might have been a bit harsh tbf but I don't think his decision making is great, I've always thought that.

He does create opportunities, at least once a game, but he's not consistent enough with it.

Fair enough.

20 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Can we just accept that certain players seem to have a better understanding with certain players. I agree the blame shouldn't be on the other player, it's on both. Barnes and Castagne have never really gelled together, where as Barnes and Thomas or Justin he has. Likewise Castagne has played very well on the right but his output on the left remains less dangerous going forward.

That said, I do agree that since he's come back in in the 3 games he's played that he's done well so no major issues at the minute. 

I think it'll be Thomas and Lookman today though down that side.

Of course we can, but people always make these extremely spurious links to try and defend the winger, which was my point.

Saying “let’s drop Castagne” because Barnes got in good positions but can’t finish or control the ball has nothing to do with gelling or Castagne. It’s not like him and Castagne are refusing to pass to each other or getting in each other’s way. Poor control or finishing or running into players when there’s plenty of space is just a poor performance from Barnes, nothing to do with who his full back is.

It’s like when people said Morgan and Huth were only good because of Kante. Kante gave them extra protection sure but Kante wasn’t physically moving Huth or Morgan into better positions, winning headers and stopping everything that came their way.

That’s my point, people are attribute things which clearly have nothing to do with the relationship between Barnes and Castagne such as a player’s touch or finishing ability, to the relationship between the two.

It’s hardly like we weren’t crap most of the season where Barnes and Thomas were playing together anyway. And that Barnes hasn’t had quite a few games this season where he can’t finish or his control has gone or he runs into defenders when there’s plenty of space, while playing alongside Thomas.

There’s been little  in the last couple of games that have shown Barnes wasn’t amazing solely because he’s playing with Castagne rather than Thomas, whereas Castagne has clearly come in and improved the defence.

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Sampson said:

Of course we can, but people always make these extremely spurious links to try and defend the winger, which was my point.

Saying “let’s drop Castagne” because Barnes got in good positions but can’t finish or control the ball has nothing to do with gelling or Castagne. It’s not like him and Castagne are refusing to pass to each other or getting in each other’s way. Poor control or finishing or running into players when there’s plenty of space is just a poor performance from Barnes, nothing to do with who his full back is.

It’s like when people said Morgan and Huth were only good because of Kante. Kante gave them extra protection sure but Kante wasn’t physically moving Huth or Morgan into better positions, winning headers and stopping everything that came their way.

That’s my point, people are attribute things which clearly have nothing to do with the relationship between Barnes and Castagne such as a player’s touch or finishing ability, to the relationship between the two.

It’s hardly like we weren’t crap most of the season where Barnes and Thomas were playing together anyway. And that Barnes hasn’t had quite a few games this season where he can’t finish or his control has gone or he runs into defenders when there’s plenty of space, while playing alongside Thomas.

There’s been little  in the last couple of games that have shown Barnes wasn’t amazing solely because he’s playing with Castagne rather than Thomas, whereas Castagne has clearly come in and improved the defence.

I've thought for a long while that Barnes hasn't progressed his game in dribbling but pretty much entirely at finishing. So, although it shouldn't be blamed on the full back behind him, Barnes deficiencies mean that in order to get the best out of him we have to work harder as a team to get the openings.

I think as a team we aren't anywhere near as dynamic as we can be, Brentford showed a snapshot of us trying to step it up as Justin and Castagne were both getting in to the box which is great to see when playing with a centre forward dropping deep.

Whatever is happening out there though we need to improve, the goals and chances are drying up. Barnes form has plateaued in the last few games and Maddison is being taken from where he's most dangerous 20-25 yards out to being out wide or very deep, we need a rethink.

Barnes needs resting for a start, I'd not start him today or Thursday and then introduce him with 25-30 to go away at PSV.

15 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I've thought for a long while that Barnes hasn't progressed his game in dribbling but pretty much entirely at finishing. So, although it shouldn't be blamed on the full back behind him, Barnes deficiencies mean that in order to get the best out of him we have to work harder as a team to get the openings.

I think as a team we aren't anywhere near as dynamic as we can be, Brentford showed a snapshot of us trying to step it up as Justin and Castagne were both getting in to the box which is great to see when playing with a centre forward dropping deep.

Whatever is happening out there though we need to improve, the goals and chances are drying up. Barnes form has plateaued in the last few games and Maddison is being taken from where he's most dangerous 20-25 yards out to being out wide or very deep, we need a rethink.

Barnes needs resting for a start, I'd not start him today or Thursday and then introduce him with 25-30 to go away at PSV.

But in the 2 games before Castagne came in we lost 0-2 vs Arsenal and 1-2 vs Rennes as well. That Arsenal game in particular, Arsenal were hardly amazing but we didn’t create much and gifted them 2 goals.

A good win over Brentford and draws vs ManUtd and PSV are hardly signs that everything is drying out and we need to go hung ho.

And in that ManUtd game in particular Barnes absolutely was still looking like a good threat and getting in good positions, he was just fluffing them.

Think Castagne’s done very well and helped sure up the defence and I’ve seen very little to suggest our attack has massively dried up and Barnes has become ineffective solely because he’s come into the side and Thomas has been dropped.

Edited by Sampson

Just now, Sampson said:

But in the 2 games before Castagne came in we lost 0-2 vs Arsenal and 1-2 vs Rennes as well. That Arsenal game in particular, Arsenal were hardly amazing but we didn’t create much and gifted them 2 goals.

A good win over Brentford and draws vs ManUtd and PSV are hardly signs that everything is drying out and we need to go hung ho.

And in that ManUtd game Barnes absolutely was still looking like a good threat and getting in good positions, he was just fluffing them.

Think Castagne’s done very well and helped sure up the defence and I’ve seen very little to suggest our attack has massively dried up and Barnes has become ineffective solely because he’s come into the side and Thomas has been dropped.

We've not been scoring many goals with any regularity for quite a while except for those games vs Randers. 

Barnes had a spell where he was scoring and assisting consistently but that seems to be dropping off, he looks like he needs a rest. That whack he took away at Rennes has clearly bothered him, he struggled during the international break so I hope we handle him carefully.

3 hours ago, FoxyLeon said:

The fact people will criticize Barnes, but constantly back Albrighton, who wouldn't get a game at some Championship sides, isn't a surprise anymore.

It's also interesting to see Demarai Gray still getting called out on here....A man who during an injury hit season, in a terrible Everton side, has scored more league goals this season than Albrighton has in his last 4 years.

We've spent every game before Justin returned passing to Barnes's feet and putting 100% of our attacking responsibility on him....He will look a far better player once we actually being playing Lookman more, or sign some forwards in the Summer.

....totally agree with the extra attacking option on the right!!!

Albrighton locks down the right side of our team, Rodgers is 100% confident with Albrighton in that position his work rate and experience makes that side of our team immensely strong. We do use Barnes at the start of games but as the game goes on we fail to find him and so he drifts out of the game. Either he now has too many defenders paying him attention or he is unable to work out the defender due to his predictability of coming inside.

Lets hope today we look to feed him more or if Maddison is not included  in the starting line up we bring Barnes into a free role and keep Lookman on the left..

Edited by sacreblueits442

Guest Col city fan

Terrible miss tonight from Barnes.

You simply cannot miss chances like that at this level and expect to qualify.

I just hope he gets another chance and atones for that error.

He simply should have slid it away and the whole complexion of the game would have looked different

As for Tielemans pass…. :frusty:

Guest Kopfkino
6 minutes ago, funkyrobot said:

Has to score that chance against PSV. It’s  unbelievable how often he doesn’t hit the target considering the opportunities he has. 

Doesn’t have to score, just has to pass it for Maddison to slot into an empty net. Exactly like he did at home to Tottenham. 

Could get someone to pay a stupid amount for him and replace him with 4 Lookmans. Only survives here because he’s home grown quota

4 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

Doesn’t have to score, just has to pass it for Maddison to slot into an empty net. Exactly like he did at home to Tottenham. 

People will still be on here, blaming Castagne for him missing that simple chance/not squaring it and saying it’s only because Castagne has come into the side and they don’t “gel” that he misses simple chances.

Edited by Sampson

6 minutes ago, StanSP said:

I would say he needs a rest but he just had the international break to rest and recover. 

Maybe it's a confidence thing? 

He was doing well until the Arsenal game

Just gone off a cliff since then

Ramsdale saving that header has done him... :ph34r:

Edited by moore_94

He needs to be benched for a while to regroup. When he comes back, he should be moved to play centrally as a forward. He is too single vision nowadays as a left winger. He does have vision and he used to pass more than to shoot, but he must have been coached into him to be selfish. Still his fan though.

Edited by Tom12345

Still thinks he has a future here but needs dropping. We partially play Maddison out of position to accommodate Barnes. Yet Maddison is in form, Harvey is out of it.

Impact sub appearances from now on with Lookman on his wing 

Guest Col city fan

Harvey looks like yet another young player ruined by having too much, too soon. I assume he’s already a millionaire no problem

Football does it to so many young players these days because it’s its own, mad, world